All reviews great food the pub pie peak district four poster bed comfortable room bakewell pudding chantenay carrots new chef pleasant place to stay pretty village chips and mushy peas egyptian cotton towels side road good home cooked food full english breakfast bath shower
Reviewed 9 October 2017

Great location, great food, great staff. What more do you want???
The pub was full to the brim which speaks for itself. Staff very helpful and couldn't do enough for us and others. The food is excellent.
Many thanks

Room Tip: Some noise can be heard until pub shuts but wasn't a problem for us
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
JessicaReay, General Manager at The Scotsman's Pack, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2017

Thank You very much for your kind review, we are very glad that you enjoyed your weekend stay!

Manager

Reviewed 30 September 2017

My wife and I stopped at The Scotsman's Pack during the bank holiday weekend in August. First impression was of a pleasant Pub, with accommodation. The room was acceptable, with a comfortable bed (albeit with cheap, uncomfortable pillows!) The Bathroom was rather cramped.
We decided to have our evening meal in the bar. My Wife ordered the Vegetarian Sausages and mash but asked if she could have ordinary sausages instead. When the meals came, my wife was inexplicably given a child's portion consisting of one small sausage, a tablespoon of peas and a small portion of mash! I had the Gammon and Chips. The Gammon was actually very good, but the chips looked like some ancient artifacts dredged from the bottom of an old chip pan!
After a walk around the village, we returned to the bar for a drink. I approached the bar, there being no-one else waiting to be served, and was ignored by the bar staff for several minutes! Two of them were poring over some paperwork on the other side of the bar, whilst the other was fiddling with a music player behind the bar....
In the morning, our intention to have a lie-in until 09.00 was shattered by a noisy Brewery delivery at 07.30 , a rubbish collection 15 minutes later, and finally a man with a noisy petrol leaf-blower blowing leaves around the car park! Whilst the first two disturbances were probably unavoidable, there is no excuse for the latter!
So on to breakfast.....the breakfast was truly outstanding (but not in a good way!) and marked the first time I have never been able to eat a cooked breakfast! I had asked for the fried egg to be cooked hard, but it was totally runny! The sausages were of the ultra-cheap low quality variety, were served cold, and were inedible. The meagre portion of cheap baked beans was cold, the narrow strips of streaky bacon were mostly fat and were again, cold! The only edible item was the cooked tomato which was, amazingly, hot! The toast was quite good (but cold) and the tea was astonishingly weak and contained the world's thinnest, cheapest teabag!
Overall a disappointing stay! The staff were surly and disinterested, and there were just too many things wrong for me to recommend this pub in any way! My wife and I make a point of going away for weekends several times a year, and unfortunately this was the worst experience we have had!

Room Tip: Choose a room at the back to reduce early morning noise!
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank david d
JessicaReay, General Manager at The Scotsman's Pack, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2017

We would like to thank yourself and your wife for both going out of the way to leave us a review. That's true dedication.

Reviewed 28 September 2017 via mobile

Arrived late on Friday night. But once settled in my room I came down to a reserved table in the bar. Great beer and fantastic menu. Went for the steak and ale pie with chips and mushy peas. Very tasty. Great night's sleep in good size double bed. En suite was a bit snug but did the necessary. Courtesy proper Bakewell tart went down very well. Unfortunately had to be up and out at about 6.30 the next day so was not able to sample breakfast which did not start until much later. With a pie as good as the steak and ale I would forgive them that. Parking was limited outside which could be a problem.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo

Thank You for your review - we are very glad you enjoyed your stay.

As you have stated, sometimes parking can be difficult when we are especially busy, but we are glad it didn't affect you

Kind Reagrds

Reviewed 17 September 2017

We spent one night here having stopped at this village for the hiking. Very much the feel of rooms over the pub versus hotel or even BnB. I think they have five rooms total. Our room was a decent size with a characteristically small but perfectly adequate bathroom. All very clean. We had a front room which overlooked the street but there was no traffic noise at night or early morning. We were there midweek so the pub was not crowded and there was no noise from that either. We also ate dinner there - restaurant choices are fairly limited in this small town. Pub fare prett good. Restaurant and rooms were reasonably priced. There was a problem with fuses and we had no lights in the bathroom in the morning. Not unexpected for such an old building and it was no big deal. The general area is very picturesque; we greatly enjoyed the "Jane Eyre hike," despite quite rainy and windy conditions.

Stayed: September 2017
JessicaReay, General Manager at The Scotsman's Pack, responded to this reviewResponded 28 September 2017

Thank you for your review, we are glad you enjoyed your stay!

We are glad that the blown fuse didnt spoil your visit, hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 14 September 2017

stayed two nights and was great, food good, beer good staff excellent. Room was very clean, tidy and warm- all you need really. Breakfast was huge and set you up for the day! in all a very well run Inn, friendly staff and locals.

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled solo
1  Thank RustyArrow
JessicaReay, Manager at The Scotsman's Pack, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2017

What a lovely review. Thank you for taking the time to leave it. I'm really glad you enjoyed your stay and you view us in such high regard. I do hope we can welcome you again in the future. I'll be sure to pass your comments on.

Many thanks,