“Steak pudding heaven”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 24 November 2015 via mobile

When I was young my parents took me for a pub lunch where I had my first home-made steak pudding. Delicious
Since then I've tried loads of places but never had there been any competition to this first experience. That was until I visited the peels arms. This was undeniably the best steak pudding I have ever had by a million miles. Absolute, mouth watering deliciousness on a plate.
You must try it.
The pastry was fluffy and light and the filling meaty and flavoursome. I can't see myself ever ordering anything different from there and miss the opportunity of being in steak pudding heaven again.
The rest of the food wasn't bad either and so much of it. Traditional foods like steak n ale pie which my friend polished off, black pudding starters, fresh pastas and a specials board with lots of variety inc fresh fish.
Starters, mains, sweets, drinks and change from £100 for four people.
Definitely worth a visit, but go easy on those puddings. Wouldn't like for them to be sold out on my next visit.
Oh nearly forgot to say how beautiful the decor is inside with the bare stone walls and open fire. Adding to the experience of proper country dining.

Reviewed 25 October 2015

Firstly, let me say that The Peels Arms is a busy little pub with a small main restaurant and an even smaller tap room , have eaten there in the past and have enjoyed on each occasion. This evening however was all too different ; having spent the last 5 hours driving back from Woking to Glossop my wife, 4 year old boy and I did not fancy cooking, nor did we fancy the generic carvery or chain type pub that Glossop has to offer, especially on Manchester derby day too.
My wife telephoned and asked if a table was available within around an hour, the curt gentleman on the phone asked for our name , said "see you at 5" and put the phone down, table all sorted then? We assumed so and set off looking forward to some decent pub food and a glass of wine.

We arrived at the pub via the front door, the small tap room to the right was busy with an assortment of mainly middle aged men watching the Australia v Argentina RWC semi final (something which I had forgone to go out with the family for dinner, thankfully sky+ was in full flow back home). The restaurant / lounge was relatively busy with a few groups in, there were 2 tables of 4 available , however I am sure they were reserved for other diners. I spoke with a rather harassed gentleman behind the bar who, after some conflab with a more assured and calm colleague, informed me that our table was table 1. Sounded great but table 1 wasn't actually in the restaurant, it was in the corner of the small tap room (which as you will have read earlier was busy with non diners intent on watching the rugby), it most certainly was not a dining space and was not suitable to eat with a 4 year old child. The other diners did not have to eat with the rugby on surrounded by people standing up so why therefore was us suitable for us?
Quite simply it wasn't! It is worth noting that no other diners were in there, it was just a table in the corner of a tap room.
I returned to the main restaurant and spoke with the more assured member of staff behind the bar where I explained that the table clearly wasn't suitable and we would be going elsewhere. The male replied "sorry we can sort you another table out" if that was the case then why did you see fit to place us in there in the first place ? Or at the very least not explain that it was the only table available when my wife telephoned? The fact of the matter is that there clearly were other tables available if you could "sort us out" with another. We would quite happily have had a drink and waited if you would have explained that when we first arrived, or we would have come back when a table was available if it would have been explained, again when we first arrived, rather than attempting to shoe horn us in with the rugby tap room regulars.
Needless to say we left , my boy cried because he was hungry, tired and fed up after a
long days travelling.
I appreciate that they were busy and probably tried to accommodate us, but at the very least an explanation of where the table was on the phone would have prevented this as we wouldn't have travelled. I'm more concerned that for somewhere that attracts mainly families find it acceptable to place a family in the least family friendly part of the pub. I shall not be going back.

5  Thank Simon H
Reviewed 25 October 2015

The Peels Arms provided an excellent setting for a family gathering of 30 people. The tables were nicely set out. The service from the waiting staff was very good especially with this number of guests. The pie and pies were first class.
Everything was handled in a very professional way.

Reviewed 23 October 2015 via mobile

Visited with family and each of us had different meals. All meals arrived together and were plentiful and tasty. We all had deserts and again were superb. We ended up chatting and joking with some of the regulars which gave the evening an extra touch. We will certainly return given the opportunity.

Reviewed 2 October 2015 via mobile

Came here after a nice day out and we're hungry. Staff were friendly and welcoming. Drinks were nice and service quick with reasonable prices