US$101
  • Restaurant
The Peak Hotel(Castleton)
Cheshire Mews(Castleton)
TripAdvisor
All reviewspepper potone nightharris roompeak districtevening meallog burnerjug of fresh milkhomemade breadlight switcheshuge showerpennine bridlewayconverted barnstable yardstunning viewspeaceful locationtwo nightstwin room
Reviewed 14 August 2017 via mobile

I just came back from a two nights stay in the room 'Bridles' (I think). The room was really lovely and clean and a good size (but still homely and cozy). I also arrived very late on Friday night and Neil waited up for me despite me saying I was arriving around 10pm (I got there at 11:45pm!). The breakfast was really nice (I liked that you were asked what time you wanted it) and I also enjoyed an evening meal on Saturday night which was delicious - home cooked comfort food is just what I needed after a full days walk. The wifi is also fantastic which surprised me although the tv in the room didn't get any channels or signal - I was lucky I brought my iPad and downloaded already a few shows on Netflix before I left home!
What was also really brilliant was that I was able to go back to the room after my long walk on the day I was leaving and use the room until at least 6pm that evening - not something a hotel would let you do! Although I have to say I wasn't told I would specifically have to leave at 6pm (this is the time they lock up) - my walk overran by an hour and I got back to my room at 5:30pm, only to be told at 5:50pm that I would have to leave soon (I was hoping to stay until around 6:30ish so that I could have a quick shower before a 4 hour drive back to London) - it's fair enough as it was nice that I was able to go back to the room in the first place but I think going forward they should have made it clear that 6pm is lock up and the absolute max time you can have the room until as I had to quickly rush off (and I did ask initially what time check out is).
Other than that an absolute fab place, brilliant service and good food. Highly recommend.

Stayed: August 2017
Reviewed 13 August 2017 via mobile

What an amazing place settled on the hillside! & great place to stay for both horse & rider! A lovely warm welcome, B & B room Very Very nice!!! Breakfast & evening Meal was superb! Nothing was to much trouble! Even when I through last minute requests at them! Felt Well looked after! Lovely Hosts!

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 July 2017

It is hard to know where to begin – part of me doesn’t want to let the rest of the world know about this wonderful retreat and the other part wants to give Jan and Neil all the business they deserve!
Firstly, if you are looking for nightlife, pubs, restaurants and excellent internet access, then this is not the place for you. If you don’t like animals or if you find the smells of the countryside off-putting, then go elsewhere. If, on the other hand, you love peace and quiet, relish walks where you will see no other people for miles, want to look at breathtaking views and enjoy delicious, home-cooked food, then get yourself to Rushop Hall post-haste!
What Jan and Neil have created is a little piece of paradise and, if you read the few negative reviews as anything other than the comments of ‘townies who have missed the point’ then more fool you! It would be best if you take a car, as there is literally nothing within walking distance, but, that said, Neil is very accommodating and will give you a lift if you organise it with him. Penny’s Cars (local taxi service) were brilliant and I would also highly recommend them.
The B &B part I cannot fault – and I am quite fussy! I cannot comment on the holiday cottages as these were not used, but they look delightful. The rooms are comfortable, well-appointed and warm; the bathroom was always clean and fresh towels were provided each day. There were plenty of different teas/coffees to choose from and there were biscuits provided every day. If you want, packed lunches are also provided. The view from the twin room was breathtaking – hills in the distance and alpacas just outside the window – you couldn’t have asked for more. Ron, the yard cat made my week! There is also a guest lounge which also has amazing views from the windows. Every day when we returned, Neil kindly came up with some fresh milk in a jug.
Now to the best part – the food! Jan is the most modest and amazing cook. Don’t expect the full range of restaurant options – this is a B & B who will provide meals if you pre-arrange them – there is a set number of choices, but Jan will quietly and politely negotiate what and when she will provide. Remember, this is a remote farmhouse and she needs to go and buy in advance! We ate extremely well, with delights such as salmon in parma ham, smoked haddock risotto (which was amazing!) and a wonderful rhubarb crumble. The breakfasts were given the same care and consideration as the evening meals and included gorgeous Greek yoghurt with vanilla, fresh fruit and the usual cooked items, but not a hint of grease and sogginess. Homemade bread, marmalade and jam and proper butter completed the treats. This is indeed a gem of a B & B. Thank you Neil and Jan for your kind hospitality.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank howes62
Reviewed 30 July 2017 via mobile

Stayed here for two nights in the pepper pot cottage.

When we arrived there was a slight mix up but it was sorted very quickly and was no trouble to us at all. The people who run that place are very kind and welcoming. They really make your stay a lot brighter and it definitely made it for me.

The cottage was absolutely wonderful. It was compact but had everything in it to be cosy and a great stay. The log burner was fantastic especially as the rain fell on an evening, breakfast was included in our stay and was absolutely delicious. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay here and would most certainly be booking again to stay for a few days in the future. Thanks for having us.

Would rate 10/10

Stayed: July 2017
Reviewed 11 June 2017

What a lovely Hotel. Setting was superb and the food was excellent. Rooms were lovely and had all the facilities you would want. Mattress was a little too firm for me as I have a bad back. Very friendly and helpful couple. Good equestrian facilities but would have been good to have a sheltered area for tacking up if rained. Also felt it was a very expensive rate for grazing at £12 a night. Even so would go again and would recommend to others as a great base for a riding holiday.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled with friends