“Birthday at the Apiary”

Price range: US$7 - US$33
Cuisines: Steakhouse, Bar, Cafe
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: The Apiary Cafe Bar is situated on Borough street in the Historic heart of Castle Donington. Established in 2012. Decorated in a quirky style with a great ambience. We are open 6 days a week. Delicious home cooked food served daily. We use vegetables from a local farm, meat from local butchers. We always use quality ingredients. Breakfast, Champagne Breakfast, Lunch, Vintage Afternoon Tea, Dinner. A selection of Gourmet burgers, Paella. Thai dishes. Gluten free and veggie options. Over 100 GINS,Great selection of beers and wines. Fresh coffee & speciality Teas. Live Music every week. See our Facebook page for details. If you looking for a friendly, vibrant but laid back atmosphere then this is the place for you. SUNDAY ROAST from 12.00 till 4.00 pm. Small parties of up to 40 people catered for. Meeting room available minimum 2 hrs. Private dining. Birthdays, Christenings, wakes catered for. voted Derby Telegraph Pub of the year 2017
Reviewed 6 April 2018

Attended the Apiary for a friends birthday. We had Afternoon Tea which I thought was reasonably priced. There were the usual fingers sandwiches, scones with a choice of jam & lemon curd, & 'fancies' to finish. The staff were polite & friendly, and a fresh pot of tea was supplied on request. (If I may make a suggestion, kindly meant. Perhaps a tea cosy for the tea pot would be useful, as the tea did start get cold quite quickly. Yes, a bit 'twee' I know, but functional). Having eaten here for lunch, evening meals & a cuppa'n'cake on many occasions, I'm pleased to say the Apiary remains constant with it's good food, service & attention to detail.

3  Thank luciel266
Dswift S, Owner at The Apiary Cafe Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2018

Thank you for your lovely review!

Reviewed 4 April 2018

Very nice place, lovely selection of gin 110 to choose from, however much of them are quite expensive, I would very much recommend the Botanic Kiss pink gin which is £5.50 but very worth the cost. Very modern 'pub' which i believe won Derbyshire's pub of the year according to the Derby Telegraph, although not the kind of place you talk to people outside your own group - one wouldn't call it a traditional pub but much more of a modern take on the idea much like The Chequered Flag next door both of which are extremely trendy. If you want a more old-fashioned pub where you can watch the football and play darts then I advise The Jolly Potters just down the road. Overall a very nice modern little 'pub' although one time I went I did encounter a problem with my drink which made me feel quite sick so I left my drink and left immediately, not been since but used to be one of my favourite places. I would have considered revisiting this place as it was one of my favourites in the local area but since posting my last review which had more detail on the 'incident' with my drink the owner has abused me with such words as 'Moron' and commented on my spelling rather rudely and accused me of many places in the area negative reviews which if you go to my profile you will see evidence to the contrary. More of this behavior is seen in some of her responses to other negative reviews. other than the owner and the one incident with my drink which are the reasons for the low score, it is a very nice modern little place to have a drink or two.

1  Thank Lewis s
Reviewed 31 March 2018

The Apiary is probably the best restaurant in the Castle Donington area. A warm welcome, friendly staff, lovely décor and above all very tasty, good quality food. My husband and I both thoroughly enjoyed the Green Thai Curry - very authentic, spicy and made to order using fresh ingredients (extra chilli on the side can be ordered but really is not necessary). His daughter order a steak, which was cooked to perfection and she commented that the chips 'were to die for' and the best she'd had anywhere.

1  Thank Angela B
Dswift S, Owner at The Apiary Cafe Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2018

Wow, Thank you! Pleased you all enjoyed your trip!

Reviewed 30 March 2018 via mobile

I’ve been to Apiary many times over the years. The food has been constantly great, I've never eaten anything I didn't like there! Compliments to the Chefs, they are the reason why we keep on coming back. It's my favorite restaurant in Castle Donington.

2  Thank F3l4

Thank you so much for the great review!

Reviewed 30 March 2018 via mobile

Fantastic place , top food , always home cooked and tasty , owners really friendly and welcoming, recommend

1  Thank garyGSX600