“Hidden gem”
Review of Church View Hotel

Church View Hotel
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Castle Donington
Church View Hotel
Reviewed 8 May 2017

Tucked away on a quiet back street in Castle Donington, just a few minutes from the circuit, this was a lovely small hotel. Recently refurbished, spotless, great breakfast, plenty of parking, I'm happy to recommend Church View.

Stayed: May 2017

Reviewed 6 March 2017

It is with a heavy heart that I must write a review with such negative points, however my stay has left me feeling rather put out!
I booked this hotel as it was a suggested place to stay with regards to an event that me (23) and my sister (26) had planned to attend, the location was perfect and the reviews were generally good (with a dog as a plus as we are very doggy people).
Upon arrival we found the hotel easily around 7pm Saturday evening to find a large car park. On entering the reception area there was a desk with a bell on, but it was unattended and there were no signs to guide us what to do, as I was about to ring the bell a lady came into the room to greet us. She greeted us with something along the lines of "Hello, I'm not the owner I'm not to sure what I'm doing he has just popped out". Thinking nothing really of this and laughing along (understanding that this sometimes happens and was nothing to worry about) I told her my name and she got us our keys and showed us to our room. It is only upon reflection that I realised she never introduced herself to us, but I overlooked that given she seemed quite unsure what she was really doing!
The first nights stay was lovely, the bed was comfortable, the room had a bath and TV, and we thoroughly enjoyed the cafetiere and coffee that was available (very silky and smooth). In the morning we went down to breakfast around 7.45am to find a lovely continental spread laid out, and this was the first occasion we met the owner, (or who we presume is the owner, however he did not introduce himself). Now I will be very frank and honest, we were both still slightly tipsy as the alcohol from the night before was wearing off from the event we had been to, so whether this had perhaps thrown him off guard I am unsure, but given that I also work in the hospitality sector I feel that he judged us very quickly and unfairly. We are polite and conscientious girls who don't ask for much and keep ourselves to ourselves.
We ordered beans on toast each, however when it came the toast had been buttered, and before I could make comment (to double check) the owner had left the room. Both my sister and I are vegan, and therefore do not eat animal by-products such as butter, now I put my hands up and say I should have asked for no butter on the toast, however I feel as though it is very presumptuous to butter someones toast particularly as veganism is becoming more widespread, and also allergies such as lactose intolerance. You may think I am being picky (as my grandma does) but for an establishment as the hotel is, and the price for the room, I was expecting a higher standard of hospitality service.
Neither of us ate our beans on toast, it put me off my food completely and so we returned to the room to begin nursing our soon to dawn hangovers. I decided I would like to take a bath and relax, however I found the water wasn't working at all, and even the toilet wouldn't flush. I went down to inform someone, to find the lady who had checked us in (who had been in the kitchen preparing breakfast). She assured us that the owner had gone to sort it. Not long after he came to the room to move us into a different room.
This different room was smaller than the first and did not have a bath, on top of that we discovered after having slept into late afternoon that there was no cold water at all, only extremely hot water would come out of the tap. Finally to top it all off, when my sister had a shower in the evening her first two minutes were hot, the rest was lukewarm to cold. When I took my shower I had to turn the water off when I shampooed and conditioned my hair to keep the warm water flowing.
We bumped into the owner later on in the evening when we returned with a take-away, and even though I attempted to make light conversation with him he appeared very disgruntled and unimpressed at our take away. (If it is a problem to bring a take away into a hotel it should be clearly stated in the handbook). I had wanted to mention the water problem but I found his attitude unapproachable.
When we checked out on Monday morning the owner was nowhere to be seen, so it was the lady once again, who informed me that there was a 2% charge for cards. Having read previous reviews, I was prepared for this, however (correct me if I'm wrong) that was for credit cards, as I have a debit I thought I wouldn't have a problem, I was also charged £80 for both nights, when really with hindsight I should have paid less for the second night considering there being no bath.
All in all I have learned some valuable lessons from this trip and will not be returning to this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank EppleJotson2016
Reviewed 19 February 2017 via mobile

Excellent accomodation at a very affordable price. Rooms are clean. Food is of a good standard beating major hotel chains. Truly feels like a home away from home. Good restaurants nearby. Run by an extremely friendly couple. Doesnt get better than this

Stayed: February 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 January 2017

Well this is an odd review for me. I will start with the good points.
Room was spotless
Bed was super comfy
Loads Of Parking
The Owner was super friendly

Bad Points,
The shower didn't work properly , we did tell the owner and he said he would have a look but it still wasn't working when we needed it in the morning which was fustrating because we had to be quickly out in the morning.
the slight smell of dog in the hotel, now this was only slight and possibly for normal people wouldn't be a problem but being as i have no pets i noticed it straight away. i feel that 3 and a half would be a better representation of this property which would be a 4 if the shower worked!

Room Tip: we stayed in room1 which was very nice