“Ticks all the boxes for me”
The comfortable lounge has a riverside balcony
The balcony is a great place to relax and unwind The kitchen is well equipped
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Very good
The comfortable lounge has a riverside balcony
The balcony is a great place to relax and unwind
The kitchen is well equipped
The dining area leads off the kitchen
upstairs bathroom
master bedroom
master bedroom
Master bedroom
single bedroom
single bedroom
A River Runs By - overlooks the River Gowan
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Very good - based on 28 reviews

Reviews from our community

Any
Rob H
“Ticks all the boxes for me”
Reviewed 3 March 2015 for a stay in February 2015

I have just had a weekend here with two of my friends but I've also stayed here before with my fiancé. Everyone's expectations are different so I'll give my view on some of the concerns raised about this place and my experience first:

Parking - It's tight getting into the courtyard and there isn't bags of room to manoeuvre once you're in there but if you're confident in a multi-storey car park then you shouldn't have much trouble. We had two cars so I parked in The Mill Yard over the road from Friday afternoon to Monday morning without any trouble and at no cost. There were plenty of spaces.

Heating - Worked fine all weekend and the place was very warm. The floor of the downstairs bathroom was a bit chilly barefoot but easily fixed by putting a towel down.

Space: It's cosy but comfortably sleeps 3 upstairs. The living room is pretty spacious and although the table in the kitchen is small the 3 of us sat around it playing cards for a lot of the Friday night and ate breakfast there most mornings.

The kitchen is fully equipped so you don't have to eat out all the time, the place is clean and comfortable and it's nice to have the river running by. There's also a lot of information on hand to help you plan days out.

Staveley is the icing on the cake. Some good walks from the doorstep and it's a great base for visiting the rest of the lakes for more serious walks. For afterwards the Hawkshead brewery has a great range from the more traditional cask ales to some pretty hoppy keg beers and IPA's and it also does good food. The Indian restaurant was excellent and the Eagle and Child is a solid pub with a good selection of food and beers. The Duke William has sports on TV and friendly locals if there's a game on you don't want to miss. Plus there’s also a great bakers and butchers and it’s all within a very short walk from A River Runs By.

Travelling group: Friends
12 Mar 2015
Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I am glad you had a good stay and found the cottage suitable for your needs. Staveley is, as you suggest, a great base ( for cyclists as well as walkers) and has everything (including - as well as the eateries etc you mentioned - a pharmacy, post office (with cash machine) and minimart) you need close at hand. I hope you enjoy wherever you venture next and to welcome you back again soon.
Colin B
Brighouse, United Kingdom
“Not for 3 adults, not for Feb and not for family car”
Reviewed 21 February 2015 for a stay in February 2015
person found this review helpful

I'll start by saying that for the right party at the right time of year this house would be fine, possibly even quite nice. The fixtures and fittings are clean, well maintained and of decent quality and the very limited space has been brilliantly exploited. Staveley is a nice little village with options for eating out and is good for exploring the south Lakes. However, before booking I'd bare the following in mind...

The parking is in a small courtyard down a very narrow lane involving turns around stone walls. If you either lack confidence in manoeuvring or have a medium size car or bigger, you will be left fighting for the limited on street parking in the village.

The house was quite cold in February. Whilst there is central heating, we struggled all week to get the place to a comfortable temperature, and the shower room (which is by the front door) was always cold. Probably not a problem later in the year, but be aware through the colder months.

The house is quite small. There were only two of us and it felt cosy. I certainly wouldn't fancy staying here with 3 adults, and even 2 adults and a child might struggle to fit around the dining table at the same time.

22 Feb 2015
Thank you for taking the time to post a review and for seeking to make it balanced.

I am sorry you struggled to get the temperature right. I was at the cottage for the first two weeks of February (i.e immediately before you) and the cottage - and shower room - was toasty warm ) even with ice and snow on the hills and sleet some days... Indeed, I even slept with the bedroom window open! There is also supplementary heating (fan heater) available.

You are quite right to say, of course, that the initial access to the courtyard is quite tight - but my neighbours have four wheel drives/big cars and it is therefore perfectly manageable to gain access. Ample free parking is also available in the Mill Yard less than 2 minutes walk away for those guests who don't feel confident negotiating unfamiliar spaces and for guests who bring 2 cars.

I have had (and have very positive reviews from) groups of 3 (2 adults and one child/3 adults) and 4 (3 adults and 1 child) and am always happy to supply accurate room measurements and other details where this is requested.

I am glad you found the cottage well equipped and clean and hope you enjoy your next stay - wherever it is. Thank you again for taking the time to post a review.
madonna73...
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“lovely hideaway in a great location”
Reviewed 23 December 2014 for a stay in September 2014

Lovely little cottage in the interesting village of Staveley. It rained for most of our stay, but the cottage was cosy, with plenty of dvds/books etc to keep us occupied when we weren't out walking in the rain! Lots of lovely walks straight from the door, meant that we didn't have to move the car for most of the stay. We walked to Bowness (part of the Dales Way and caught the bus back from Windemere, which was lovely. Had a good meal at the Eagle and Child and lovely bread from the bakers in the Staveley Mill yard. Despite the rain, enjoyed watching the "pet" heron outside the balcony window too. Sure it would be even more lovely in the sunshine! Took our little dog, who loved it. Great having a shower just inside the front door, to wash her down after walks. Would go back.
Only tip is to watch the tight access in to the yard for parking. We have an estate with parking sensors and just about made it!

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Families with young children
People with pets
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
30 Dec 2014
Glad you had such a good stay despite the weather (which, sadly, is beyond my control !) and found plenty to do locally. The books and DVDs are refreshed (at least in part) at least once a year so regular guests have something new to look forward to. And great that you explored by bus - a number of guests have found the local rail and bus services convenient and relaxing to use, (and great if you are doing linear walks). It is, as you say, possible to get a large car in the parking space despite it beinf a single space in a shared courtyard; though it may take some patient manoeuvering! In my experience, the neighbours are very happy to move their vehicle if it helps guests get in/out of the cottage space more easily. Thank you for booking and for taking the time to post a review; hope to welcome you back sometime.
Shaun F
Loughborough, United Kingdom
“Pleasant Stay”
Reviewed 16 October 2014 for a stay in August 2014

Had a glorious week in Stavely and we where blessed with lovely weather. The cottage was lovely although the actual size of the rooms when compared to the photos was noticeable. Loved the sound of the river beside the cottage. Access to the main road was good but immediate access to the cottage was tight so folk with big vehicles be aware of that, 2 large people carriers or 4 wheel drives vehicles parking will need patience when maneuvering in and out. The kitchen is well fitted out. TV a tad on the small size. Bathrooms clean and functional. Beds comfortable. Decent WIFI. Vodafone where as usual rubbish in the area. Local butchers are great value with good quality and choice, black puddings was amazing. Pubs are great in the town. Hawkshead brewery which is spitting distance from cottage is too trendy for my liking and the real ales and bitters where not up to my standards. Jennings brewery makes better stuff in my opinion. Good artisan bakery beside the brewery. Love the Lake district and will return soon I hope.

Travelling group: Other
20 Oct 2014
I am glad you had such a good week and found the cottage well equipped and comfortable.
It’s unusual for both my neighbours to have their 4WDs in the shared courtyard at the same time – I am sorry that seems to have been a feature of your stay. They’re usually very accommodating about moving them if they are parked when guests need to get in or out. Glad, though. that you found, as others have, that even large cars can, with patience, manoeuvre in and out ok.
Hopefully the TV has got quite a bit of life in it yet, but I’ll bear your comments in mind when I do need to replace it; thank you.
Glad you made good use of the village facilities- we’re so lucky to have good local suppliers on hand.
Thank you for staying at A River Runs By –I hope to welcome you back next time you visit the Lakes.
Anna B
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Prime village location, peaceful, pretty, comfortable, well equipped. River a bonus!”
Reviewed 6 October 2014 for a stay in September 2014

The cottage was balm to our soul and really just what we had hoped for. Plenty of space for the three of us (me, husband and mum), cosy lounge with comfy seats and stairs not too steep. Great to get out on the balcony in the early morning and listen to the birds or watch the fish darting about in the river. So much to appreciate from the cottage; the view over the river which provided us with sights of crayfish, heron and a streak of blue (possibly a kingfisher?). Excellent facilities overall, so we were able to dine in every night and we used the washing machine a couple of times. Jigsaws and games kept us entertained, as well as the TV/DVD player! Great shower downstairs - meant we didn't really need to use the bath on the first floor at all. Very good heating system, with hot water on demand when needed.

We were very impressed with Staveley itself, enjoying the shops at Staveley Mill (had a chat with Camilla in 'The Onion', loved the artisan bread and Hawkshead brews). So everything we needed was just within a few strides of the front door. We didn't have to go far from the doorstep on most of the days, although took a trip from Staveley into Windermere on the train just for the novelty of being able to do so! We used our mountain bikes to cycle the bridle paths around the 'Kentmere Loop' and on another day walked up Reston Scar and roundabouts. We managed to get to Haweswater on the best weather-day of the week (bright sunshine all day) and were really able to appreciate the retreat of the waterline revealing the lost Mardale village, before climbing up to High Street over Long Stile and back down from Harter Fell.

We really appreciated the cakes left to us by Helen, who happened to be staying the week before our arrival (lucky us!) and I used one of the free postcards of Staveley, which I believe Helen produced herself.

So Staveley and the cottage will definitely be on our 'visit again' list. Great value, very cosy, but plenty of space, excellent facilities, wonderful views and very convenient for the village shops and public transport. I don't think anyone can ask for much more! Thank you so much Helen and I hope we left the cottage in a reasonable state for the next visitors, so that you'll be happy for us to visit again in the future.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Riverside location in the heart of the village
Travelling group: Extended Family
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Older travelers
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
9 Oct 2014
I am so pleased that you had such a great stay. My hope is always that guests will love the cottage and the village (almost/at least as much) as much as I do – and it seems you do! :-)

I am glad you were able to enjoy the balcony (when I am at the cottage I eat out on the balcony whenever the weather allows – which included New Year’s Day this year !) and found there’s plenty to do indoors as well. I change/add to some of the general books/games/jigsaws once or twice a year to help maintain interest for guests who choose to return and have added some new walk and cycle books and maps this year as well.
Delighted you found everything you needed was just within a few strides of the front door.

I am glad you enjoyed the cakes – though perhaps need to make clear to others that, alas, these aren’t a regular part of the ‘welcome pack’ I wish they were- and if I lived locally they would be! I had, though, been at the cottage the week before and held a charity coffee morning at the barbers/hairdressers and the ‘surplus’ went to my guest/my neighbours (who are lovely) and to support the local community.

I am so pleased you like the village. It is a ‘real’ village; there is a butcher and a baker – no candlestick maker (as far as I know) but a post office, two pubs, two cafes, a pharmacy, a convenience store and more….
As you found, you don’t have to venture far (and can anyway do this by public transport) to explore the Lakes. Windermere is, for many, within in walking distance along the Dales Way (6ish miles) with return options by bus or train. Reston Scar (the view from the main bedroom) affords lovely views and is a (relatively) modest climb. And you mention High Street. I am not sure I have done your route – but I do know that the views from High Street are on my all-time favourite list.

You covered a lot in your week; and this is not uncommon among guests. I am delighted you had such a great stay and could be equally delighted to welcome you again
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing