“Good Overnight”

Ranked #4 of 10 Eskdale B&B and Inns
Shipley
“Good Overnight”
Reviewed 30 January 2012

Stayed with family for a birthday. Quiet between Xmas & New year but satisfactory. Friendly service and all needs sorted. Breakfast excellent dinner was good.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 January 2012

Booked at short notice, £35 for a single premium room good value i thought. After a hairy trip across Berker Fell at night arrived at a deserted inn. Pleasent greeting, place looked quaint and adequate. I was asked if i preferrred bath or shower room, agreed on shower, nice of them to ask.
Chap put me in a double in main building, Eskdale room, we agreed breakfast was at 8am, but he mentioned he would around from about 7.40am, more of this later. Room looked fine at first glance, spacious, tea/coffee, flat screen tv, lots of character. Bedding was clean, fluffy white towels. Sink and toilet all well cleaned etc. Genorous free toiletries and drink making supplies.

On the downside, the shower cubicle had black mould in the grouting in quite a few places and the room in general looked as though it was due a quick lick of paint and perhaps a deep clean. Though as mentioned it was clean no dust etc.

The biggest downside and the only reason i wouldn't stay again was the bed ! as previous reviewers have mentioned it really was the most uncomfertable mattress i have ever encountered. You could feel every spring and made for a poor nights sleep. I also woke up cold during the night and unfortunatley there was no addidtional bedding in the room. Of course i could have asked earlier if i had known and i'm sure they would have been most willing to provide. Perhaps as the quilt is a thin summer type add an extra blanket during winter, remember this is the Lakes in winter !

Also being at the front of the property you do get road noise from about 6am, this is partly due to the old windows which of course are character to the building and i wouldn't expect modern upvc !! but worth mentioning none the less if you like a lie in.

As for breakfast well can't comment greatly as i didnt have any cooked food. I went down at 7.45am to find the place emptyand in darkness, back down at 8am still both breakfast areas in darkness.....did find a very friendly foreign lady just taking her coat of who seemed surprised to see me !

She was most apolajectic and quickly arranged some cereal and coffee and offered to call a cook if required. I declined as cereal was fine for me, she seated me in the residents bar ? and what i had was adequate. As i mentioned i was heading off walking for the day she also offered to make me a packed lunch and quickly rustled up some cheese n ham sandwiches, an apple and some water, this was very kind and much appreciated.

At this i left, i think i was the only person staying this night. If the bed was comforatble and at the price paid (or even more) this would be a great bargain of a place but as a good nights sleep is fundamental to a bed and breakfast, without this rectifying i cannot recommend it. Despite the very friendly staff and location. Of course i could wonder perhaps other rooms have better beds ????

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
5 Thank Wazza999
Derbyshire
Reviewed 10 January 2012

Hi,just a short review based on the 3 nights i stayed over xmas 2011.27th Dec-30th Dec. First thoughts on seeing the inn was very pleasant,looks very homely,cozy and welcoming..On entering i was greeted with a smile (which is always nice) and showed to my room. The room was out in the converted barn which from the outside looked lovely..The double groundfloor room was really nice and because i had taken my younge springer (Jura) with me i was given a room with double doors that opened directly onto the carpark..Perfect and thoughtfull..
The staff were very helpfull,the room was really warm,quite large and clean,the food-delicious and the area around and the views-breathtaking..
Definatly be returning this year..Thanks to all at Bower ;-) Russ.Bedford

Room Tip: If you have a dog, ask for one of the rooms in the barn with doors that open onto the carpark
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank RussnJura
Eggborough
Reviewed 9 January 2012

We would like to comment on our recent stay at the Bowerhouse Inn where we were allocated a premium room in the main building.

Our first impressions were that the room was a reasonable size although a little dark. However on closer inspection it appeared quite grubby and after an uncomfortable night’s sleep it became obvious that the mattress was very worn and uncomfortable and I, myself, suffered back pains for several days afterwards.

The shower also left a lot to be desired. The grouting was black and mouldy and the showerhead could not be adjusted for showering and could only be used at a 90 degree angle. Also the bathroom door could not be closed from within the bedroom and had to be left ajar.

There were stains on the carpet and window seat furnishings. We also wondered why there was an ash tray on the chest of drawers.

The good points about the room were the flat screen TV, the fluffy towels and the toiletries.

It doesn’t give us pleasure to make these comments but we have done so in the hope that the management will take note and improve the room for future visitors. We were unable to express our concerns on departure as no manager was available.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank GailEggborough
Reviewed 4 December 2011

Stayed here whilst working in the area for the weekend. Nice surprise to have been upgraded to a double room rather than the single I booked as the pub didn't have many residents that night. Kindly had my bag carried to my room by Andy who looked after us for our stay (my friends who were also working with me stayed as well).

The room was clean, warm with traditional decor, and the bed was HUGE!!! What a treat for me as I was expecting a single!
It had a good tv with extra channels which was nice as I was on my own!

A god send was the lovely mini shampoo and conditioners as I really wanted to wash my hair and had left mine behind- the shower was fab as well, nice hot and good pressure. There isn't a hair dryer (I didn't expect one an had my own but just to pre warn others) also there was a double plug socket by the mirror so drying and straightening my hair was made easy (that may sound daft but I have stayed in places where it is a nightmare to get ready!)

We ate in the bar that night, it was cosy with the fire and the food was lovely and reasonable in price.

After a fantastic nights sleep in a very comfy bed, we enjoyed a beautiful breakfast.

I have marked this place as excellent, because it is what they say it is. It is not a posh boutique hotel, it is a pub with cosy rooms, fires, and a friendly welcome. I would definitely stay here if I was back in the area. Special thanks to Andy who really couldn't have been any more accomadating.

• Stayed December 2011
1 Thank CJinCumbria
Also consider these accommodations in or near Eskdale
The Strands Inn & Strands Brewery
#2 of 2 in Gosforth
Irton Hall B&B
Irton Hall B&B
#3 of 10 in Eskdale

Been to Bower House Inn? Share your experiences!