All reviews black cock the pub great food stayed here for one night friendly atmosphere salt and pepper lovely meal family meal fish and chips steak lake district little gem will visit again low beams my partner well worth a visit wowcher deal
Reviewed 22 March 2018 via mobile

Lovely couple of nights here.
Staff extremely helpful and food very good.
Pleasant unspoiled town with plenty of pubs serving real ales to please hubby.
Friendly folk.
Plenty of local walks.
Very good local butchers and grocery and the bakery/cafe worth a visit too.
We'll definitely be returning

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 March 2018

The Black Cock Inn

Broughton-in-Furness

Tight fisted and totally unreasonable

I had a booking for Saturday night at this inn. On Saturday morning, like much of the country, I awoke to deep snow on the ground and blizzards. The snow was too bad to actually get out of my drive and the news was warning against travelling, particularly on cross Pennine routes which was what I'd have to take. Later in the day there was a 12 car smash on one such route and the M62 was closed. I immediately contacted the hotel to tell them we'd not manage the trip, but we would like come back at a later day. As I have to regularly stay in the area because I visit my 90 year old mother in a nursing home in the area, this would have been soon after. I received a curt reply saying that I'd lost my booking, there wasn't any way they'd rebook me, and I lost the money I'd paid. Shame on you Black Cock Inn. Not only is this totally without any thought or consideration of your customer, but just very poor business practice. I'd avoid this place if I were you!!

Trip type: Travelled with family
6  Thank mike d
Reviewed 7 March 2018

I think above all I want to comment on the lovely friendly welcome of all the staff! Nothing was too much for them & they wanted to make us feel at home & were very attentive. It had been a freezing weekend & we were certainly sheltered from the elements.
We had a lovely dinner on our first night & appreciated trying the different guest ales. The locals too were engaging! One couple wanted to try drinking from the 'yard of ale' & nothing was too much trouble for the staff!
The breakfast was well presented the next morning, being good & hearty. Lovely Cappuccinos too. (The second morning when the guilt hit - too much food! we went straight across the road in to the bakery for a croissant!)

We slept well even thought we were above a bar! And really, its hard to find fault! It is a bit rustic - but that is what one would expect of such an old place & a creaking board is part of the charm - why else would one stay there!

We would throughly recommend if not only because of the welcome!

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Caporciano
Reviewed 3 March 2018

While staying in Broughton, the Black Cock offers not only the fotty in the back room but a great selection of real ales & good food. Ideal for walking parties and I believe good accomodation. The quaint olde worlde surroundings really make you feel at home.

Date of stay: February 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 March 2018 via mobile

A lovely friendly little pub serving excellent home made food. Very friendly staff and locals making you feel so welcome. Also dog friendly. Has a very interesting history with pictures depicting same. Would highly recommend and we are returning this year for more of the good food and friendly atmosphere.

Date of stay: January 2018