1,155 results
All reviews prestige room wine tasting silver service lake district no lift conservatory area sister hotel on arrival scones sunday lunch dining room course dinner classic room lovely hotel high standard short break first class
Reviewed 22 April 2018 via mobile

Just spent the weekend at this hotel. What a gem of a place. The weather was perfect and we sat on the terrace on arrival in the glorious sunshine overlooking the very pretty garden.
Had a light lunch with some wine, and it was just so relaxing.
Went for a short walk later, before returning to the hotel to get ready for dinner.
We were in a very spacious room with our own front door on to the gardens, more of a suite really, and the most comfortable beds ever.
Fabulous bathroom with a walk in rain shower, and a full size bath.
Wow, what a lovely evening we had, the food was amazing, fine dining at its’ best, and accompanied by a bottle of Champagne made it quite special.
Sunday morning breakfast was a joy. Fruit, yoghurt, juices, excellent choices and every kind of cereal.
Perfectly poached eggs on delicious nutty brown toast, it really was great start to the day.
We will be back, soon.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
George-GMBorrowdale, General Manager at The Borrowdale Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2018

Dear Beachgsl,
Thank you for your very kind review, we are delighted you enjoyed your break with us. I will be sure to pass on your very positive comments to all my team as they really enjoy reading the feedback.
We look forward to you revisiting us at some point but until then let us wish you very safe travels and all the best.

Reviewed 18 April 2018 via mobile

This is sad for me to write this review. I do not take any pleasure in writing a bad review but you need to know of our experience over Easter. It is now April the 18th and I am still agreeved so I will explain why I have given this hotel 1 star.
This was a surprise break sorted by my wife and all the research looked good. When we walked through the door the over powering smell of wood / coal smoke was evident. They had an open fire but the smoke was entering the room not going up the chimney. It hurt my chest but I do get problems from time to time so thought it was me until other guests complained to the front desk.
The room was nice but the mattress and pillows were incredibly soft so if you need a different type of mattress then this might be an issue for you to check out before paying for an expensive stay.
The food and resteraunt staff were both magical. Oh man the food was special. Very nicely presented and small portions but nice.
What really upset us was that we had to leave a day early because every weather forecast said the snow was going to be very bad on Easter Monday and as we had to use the A66 then it was a given we would get stuck.
We asked for our invoice only to find a £275 surcharge for the extra night we were not staying. Apparently it was in the terms and conditions which I wasn't privy to as it was a surprise. What did hurt was that there was no leeway.
I appreciaye that was in the t&c but we were not having the evening meal @ £70 nor the breakfast at £35. Paying for the room if it wasnt re let was fine but I didnt want to pay for food not eaten. After a second discussion the general manager discounted the £275 surcharge by £60 for the evening meal. Therefore the surcharge came down to £215.00.

I hope our experience was a one off and the t&c were there to be seen but it was the extenuating circumstances of bad weather that, we feel the hotel could have helped more with.
If anyone from Trip Advisor wishes to speak with me then please do but until then the 1 * stays.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
9  Thank Alan T
George-GMBorrowdale, General Manager at The Borrowdale Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2018

Dear Alan T
I would like to take the opportunity of thanking you for your review and your much-valued feedback in relation to your recent stay at the Borrowdale Hotel.

I was particularly pleased to read your comments about the team and the food quality in the restaurant; we spend a great deal of time training our teams to ensure a fantastic customer experience and I know Cath and her team are delighted with your comments.

The open fires in the hotel are very popular with our gusts however every now and again as can happen occasionally with traditional fires some smoke can linger, however as we notice this, we do open the lounge window which quickly sorts any issues. I was delighted to read that you felt the room was nice however disappointed that you felt the bed was a little soft for you. Once again pillows are very subjective hence we do have both soft and harder pillows and we would have been more than happy to put different pillows in your room had we been notified.

Whilst I can appreciate and did empathise with your concerns with regards to the weather over the Easter period, it did not turn out to be as bad as first predicted. With that in mind, any guest that chose to leave early was given the same information with regard to cancellations. I can only suggest you look at the terms of your insurance to see if you are covered for such events.

I'm sorry you left less than happy but will take the positives from your review, I do hope you give us another opportunity but in the meantime let us wish you well.

Reviewed 16 April 2018 via mobile

We have just returned home from a lovely weekend at the Barrowdale Hotel.Are friend had recommended since we are up at the lakes many times.Thank you Charlie in the bar you made us and my husband Guide dogs have a special time.What lovely staff Sonya on reception,Kath in the
restaurant and the young lad who was are cleaner. Staff say a lot about a hotel and my understanding is they are well looked after.Food was excellent, Room was lovely and well presented.We feel we will definitely return again.Since my husband has a new Guide dog Bilbo will want the same room since he now knows where it is.He was learning new routes and he now has added this on his agenda.Many Thanks for your lovely service.Donna and JoeSolo and Bilbo

2  Thank Donna G

Dear Donna G
Thank you for your very kind review, we are so pleased you enjoyed your time with us. I will pass on your lovely comments to all my staff and I hope it isn't too long before you decide to have a return visit but until then let us wish you well and safe travels.

Reviewed 15 April 2018

I honestly can't find fault with our stay at the Borrowdale, the food is amazing the room was spotless and the staff were wonderful . Dog friendly and the perfect base to explore this beautiful part of the country. I highly recommend.

Room Tip: Ask to be shown around
  • Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 April 2018 via mobile

We decided to try here as there was work going on at Lodore and the reviews were generally good.

The surroundings are fine for a country house hotel, nice enough and the staff were friendly.

On arrival we ordered drinks and I was so disappointed with the choice of ales and lagers, nothing decent on draught and the ale was served in a Thatchers cider pint glass! Not good.

However, the wine selection was very good and we enjoyed the wine with dinner.

At dinner the food was nice enough and served quickly but we waited ages for some of the drinks.

Two of us in the party were dairy free and because it can be a hassle for places, I did make sure that I told the hotel at the time of booking. I needn’t have bothered, they just didn’t get it!

Our amuse bouche arrived and it was a creamy mushroom soup, I asked if it has dairy in and the waiter swiftly took it away.

On ordering I was told that the fish course came with wilted spinach which is cooked in butter so I told them it was fine just to steam it or cook it without butter. When it arrived, the waiter did not specify which of the plates were dairy free and when we were given ours, I specifically asked if he’d given us the diary free plates and he said yes. I could taste the butter in the spinach!

This is totally unacceptable and if we had been dairy intolerant, it would have been a huge problem.

I cannot understand how these places exist in 2018 when they do not cater properly for allergies and intolerances. If we had been vegan, there would have been virtually nothing we could eat.

To be fair, the lady waitress was very helpful and she made sure that we were all fine and did her best to help. However, either the management or chef needs to look at huge improvements or just don’t accept bookings from people who have dietary requirements.

I love the Lakes and it’s nice to feel that you’re going back in time but unfortunately I think most people do still expect the basics so I’d suggest going somewhere a little more ‘with it’.

4  Thank billyridley
George-GMBorrowdale, General Manager at The Borrowdale Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2018

Dear billyridley
Thank you for leaving a review on this site. Firstly let me apologise for the short comings you experienced on your visit. I am delighted that the team reacted to the problem of the amuse bouche, but not with the way in which the fish course was dealt with. I agree with your comment about being dairy intolerant and will of course look into this further with the restaurant manager and trust that your starters and main course were served correctly. The kitchen staff do prepare the food diligently to ensure that all dishes are correct. This would lead me to say that the error has occurred during service. When the waiter was asked about the dairy free plates, if unsure, as it would seem so, they should have returned it back to the kitchen to be redone. Let me assure you that we do cater for all dietary requirements. Although there may not be a vegan menu on show, Head chef and the rest of the kitchen team are more than happy to accommodate. I do hope you call in again and we can assure you of our best attentions.
Wishing you well and safe travels.