Lodore Falls Hotel
US$187
  • Restaurant
US$213
The Borrowdale Gates Hotel(Grange-in-Borrowdale)
US$236
US$173
US$119
  • Restaurant
Scafell Hotel(Rosthwaite)
No availability for your dates from our partners
TripAdvisor
2,273 results
All reviewslodore fallshot tuba lake view roomoutdoor poolon arrivaltower suitespa treatmentscourse menubuilding worklovely hotelflat roofafternoon tealake districtsconesfirst classleisure facilitieslounge bar
Reviewed 5 weeks ago

Lovely property and bound to be even better when the building work concludes. The bedroom felt recently refurbished and was clean and in good order. Tea, coffee and water in the room but no earl grey and no fridge.
The bar was typical tourist prices but service was good. We had a mix up with both our booking and the number of courses we had paid for. Both were resolved politely and the food was good. They were quite speedy at serving and 5 courses were out and cleared away in little over an hour. Views from the restaurant were beautiful.

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jenny S
Reviewed 17 April 2018

Visted Lodore at last minute (as had been let down) and the lovely Danika soon sorted us out with two Classic Rooms which were very nice. Food as usual was suberb thanks to the ever talented Shane & Co. A big thank you to Vicki (Bar) and George (restaurant) for making us feel very special; they certainly have a way with customer liasion. I love this hotel so much and shall be going back again and again. We have already been back (this holiday) for lunch and back again Thursday night for Bro's Anniversary - 42 Years - Well done!!! This place is the best.

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
2  Thank Teresa P
GMLodore, General Manager at Lodore Falls Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2018

Dear 'Teresa P'

Thank you for your review, delighted to hear you enjoyed your most recent stay with us and received great service from our team. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Many thanks

Reviewed 16 April 2018

Oh dear, what a shame! A beautiful hotel in a great setting, tastefully refurbished and decorated, with the friendliest staff I have encountered for a long time. Unfortunately, many of them, new to the job as well as the UK, had no clue what to do!

The errors stated happening long before we had even left home; a telephone call was received to confirm some details - two calls in fact - well meant no doubt, but they didn’t speak to me, they spoke to my lady and our destination was meant to be a surprise for her! Lucky, I suppose, that it was her that I was taking.

Our room was lovely, a corner on the 3rd floor, the bed was new and very comfortable, but the fluffy duvet was far too small and didn’t even reach the sides without anyone under it, inevitably creating duvet wars in the middle of the night. The bathroom was great too, but the extractor fan was louder than Niagara Falls in winter, obviously drowning out the sound of the falls after which the hotel is named, situated just outside the window.

When our room was made up towels, milk and tissues were all forgotten (but quickly remedied when I moaned). Lucky I noticed the milk; a morning cuppa is always necessary to install humanity into a waking beast (and I’m not saying which of us needs it).

On our first night we had the luxury of an empty room next door, but on the second night we realised how thin the walls were because a couple with two dogs moved in. Why on earth they allow such creatures to run riot, jump on beds and generally make loud noises is beyond me. The dogs, on the other hand, behaved impeccably.

The award-winning restaurant was the biggest disappointment. Beautifully decorated with an ambience that would make any hotel proud, the food and the service let it down badly. If you look on the hotel’s website you can find a sample table d’hôte menu, which includes four main courses, one of which is a steak with a surcharge. I did not pay the extortionate rack rate for our stay because I booked through Secret Hotels, but I did pay a lot and also ran up a fairly impressive bar bill whilst there, but I absolutely refuse to pay a five quid supplement for anything, let alone a skinny sirloin or whatever that was that I saw going by. What a shame there isn’t a local Aldi!

I was forced to return two dishes, both on the same day! The first was my breakfast, which was served straight from the kitchen in record breaking time but was stone cold. Its replacement took considerably longer to appear but was piping hot. At dinner my lady ordered from the alternative Summer Menu (an acceptable supplement for this one), which really did throw a spanner in the works because she was due two additional courses, an amuse-bouche and a palette cleanser before the main course, neither of which I was having on my standard menu, so the staff didn’t know what to deliver when - which might explain why my starter did not appear at all (until I queried its omission) and my main course was … yes, you guessed it - stone cold! By this time, I had had enough of their food failures, so I sent it back and went without.

The menu is minimalist and has a severe lack of vegetables. One lamb dish that I did not order included almost no vegetables at all, but I was told I could order some for a supplement!

I previously mentioned that the staff were extremely friendly and helpful, and they were. But communication was difficult due mainly to the language barrier, but also due to inexperience. The barman didn’t know what Malibu was; the waiter did not understand that I wanted to taste my thirty quid wine, pouring an entire glass when I tried to explain; a waitress in the bar served hot milk with coffee, which was nice, but served it in a jug with no handle, making it impossible to serve - and when I asked for a manager when my dinner was served cold the waiter brought sauce which, I have to admit was very funny!

Some other good points. The public rooms are massive and very comfortable; dogs are more than welcome, and they supply beds and towels for them; and there’s an open-top bus service running all day into Keswick every half hour. It’s free if you have a bus pass from your local council with a rose on it. It appears to be a permanent feature, possibly not, but on arrival we were served excellent tea and scones and I forgave them for the telephone calls..

Whether you need to do so or not, take a ride in the world’s smallest passenger lift close to reception before the “’elf & safety” flakes get their hands on it. It has an internal metal gate which slams shut as viciously as Arkwright’s till, and slams open again on arrival. Remember to count your fingers and carry you dog!

I should mention that during our stay the northern side of the hotel was a massive building site. We knew about this in advance and it had no impact on our stay whatsoever and I congratulate them for that.

When that work has finished, and when the staff are fully trained, this will be a super hotel. But it isn’t now. At the price we paid we expected better, but what we got was an establishment I might expect to turn up at if I were taking a Shearing’s coach holiday. It was no secret escape.

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
5  Thank JackinKent

Dear 'JackinKent'

Thank you for your review, I'm sorry to hear that your stay didn't meet your expectations. I will share your feedback with the Management Team in detail and review the feedback you have made with a view to making the necessary changes. We employ a number of staff from over ten countries like the majority of hotels and on occasion sometimes the language barrier can be an issue, we work with the staff and support them when issues such as these are raised.

Please contact me direct should you wish to stay in the future so I can personally apologise and ensure your return stay is of our normal high standard.

Kind regards

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 15 April 2018 via mobile

I have stayed here before and recalled an enjoyable stay. This time however it was very disappointing.
I booked in advance for DB&B and based on the website expected a substantial high quality dinner. It hardly fulfilled the requirements of a 5 course meal. The first and third courses were teaspoon sized but more worryingly the main course was neither filling not worthy of 2 rosettes.

I did make my concerns clear to the restaurant staff and reception on the first evening of my 4 nights stay. Too my surprise there was no follow the next day. The second nights' meal was no better and when asked by the waitress if everything was ok upon leaving the restaurant I reiterated my displeasure at the portion size to both her and the Maitre'D. I was met with nothing more than an apology. I fully expected a managerial response the next day but none was forthcoming. The third night was a mere repeat of the previous two. I was actually still hungry when I left the restaurant on each occasion. Whilst there was an option to buy extra side dishes this is an insult when spending over three hundred pounds a night including a 5 course meal.

Given the lack of customer care and no aknowledgement of my dissatisfaction, I was given no other option than to seek out a manager and explain the situation from the last three days. Even though he said that he had heard about my complaints nothing was done. He was however very polite and apologetic and suggested that I could choose food from the bar menu and eat in a side lounge. I did take up his offer which was now my last evening. Whilst the food was indeed substantially more filling and tasty the experience was severely marred by excessive footfall through the lounge due to a wedding reception taking place.

Unfortunately this food problem did affect the enjoyment of my stay quite considerably. This could have been averted by early intervention and a solution proposed on day two. My concern is not only for the poor value for money but also the lack of effective customer service.

It is of note that I am not a habitual reviewer but in this instance strongly feel that it should not go unnoticed.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Thank you for your review, please except my apologies for the disappointment received. The menu has very recently been changed and feedback such as this is useful to communicate back to the kitchen team to review. I think it is worth noting that we didn't receive any other feedback regarding portion sizes during the period you stayed but appreciate we should have ensured done more after the first night.

Once again please except my apologies, please feel free to contact me direct next time you wish to stay so we can ensure your comments are addressed.

Kind regards

Reviewed 15 April 2018 via mobile

We chose the Lake District and The Lodore Falls Hotel for our wedding as we have always loved it there but had never stayed. We would stop in for lunch and a beer after a walk and always felt welcome. So it was the obvious choice for us for our wedding.

We live in Kent and only managed to get to the Hotel once we'd picked it as our location meaning the Hotel had to do a lot of the arrangements for us, in particular Daryl who took away all the stress of the preparation with her efficiency and was always available via email or phone if required.

We knew there were works going on at the Hotel for major refurbishments around the time of our wedding which was a slight concern, however on the day this didn't effect us at all.

The day itself was perfect and we couldn't fault any of it. The food was excellent and a number of guests stated it was the best meal they had at a wedding in particular the lamb. We had over 80 guests and all the meals came out promptly and hot. The hog roast was also a massive hit with our guests.

The staff were amazing throughout our stay with contributed to the relaxed atmosphere which was important to us. In particular as mentioned our planner Daryl who did an incredible job for us and created our perfect wedding. The waitress we had throughout our stay called Flori was attentive and engaging and brilliant with our 18 month old daughter.

Adrian who was our porter, waiter and barman was equally as attentive as Flori and couldn't do enough for us. Although we've picked out 3 staff for for special mention all the staff were friendly and courteous and really made our stay and our wedding day perfect. We can't wait to visit again.

That said it's the location of this hotel which is the icing on he cake and provided us with the perfect background setting for our wedding photos.

We would highly recommend Lodore Falls for a short break, stop off point for a walk or as a wedding venue. Truly perfect for us.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family

Dear 'Sgigardner'

Thank you for your review, I'm delighted you chose The Lodore Falls to host your special day and so pleased we exceeded your expectations on all levels, my team will be over the moon to read your review.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Many thanks