“Hot tub made the visit amazing!”
Review of Lodore Falls Hotel

Lodore Falls Hotel
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Borrowdale
Reviewed 14 February 2012

After our initial disappointment of such a small room, which I asked if we could change, but was only offered one of the same size but thank you for trying!! We had a special deal of a winter warmer which included bed and breakfast for 2 nights and evening meal on the first night and warm pimms and toasted teacakes for £240 plus £20 for our dog. The lady on reception got a little muddled as she thought we had booked the hot tub for the day we arrived not the following day and she also told us there were no ferries operating whilst we were there but as it was half term they were which we luckily found out and let her know. A little niggle was i was told at booking the dog would be £10 altogether and when I bought this up at check out the lady was quite rude to me saying it was definitely £10 per night. As mentioned before a lot of the staff are foreign and they are very efficient however they have absolutely no sense of humour and appear quite surly which I am sure they are not. Our evening meal was fabulous, we were slightly put out again as when we checked in the only time we could eat was 7pm ( I enquired why we were not asked what time we would like to eat when making our booking but the receptionist said it went on what time you checked in and asked then, we checked in at 4 pm so only an hour after first time) we were hoping for 8pm so we could have a drink and the canapes in the bar so we rushed and then found we could have come later according to the restaurant manager. We ate out at the lakes bar and bistro on our second night in Keswick which was excellent and we got a taxi which was £7 each way door to door. The breakfasts at the hotel were great with a huge English .... I'm still full!
The snugs where you can have your coffee etc are very cosy with lots of fires and lamps, they are gas fires but look almost real and throw off a lot of heat.
We used the pool and sauna twice and my daughter used the gym twice all very good, not the most up to date gym but perfectly adequate (I never go in the gym!) We loved the hot tub and we also had a massage which was lovely. I like the old fashionedness of the hotel and everywhere is very clean and has a great atmosphere.
I did lose an ear ring in the bedroom and as I couldn't move the bed as the room is so compact I couldn't find it. Also through no fault of the hotel someone near our room had their tv on quite loud at 6.30am. Loads of hot water for baths/showers and the bath towels are nice and big and new. Great walks and all in all a lovely time apart from the above already mentioned

Room Tip: I would definitely try and get a lake view room next time, also the double rooms appear to be larger...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
5  Thank sally41
There are newer reviews for Lodore Falls Hotel

Reviewed 13 February 2012

Just visited Lodore with the wife booking a Travelzoo deal for £150 pp for 2 nights DBB including lunch on the first day. The lunch was the first thing that impressed me as it was from the full menu in the restaurant and not some limited budget version I would have expected as part of a deal. The furniture in the room was a little dated and looking onto the rear of the building but if we had upgraded we would have had lovely views. I have to say that the staff in the hotel are plentiful and every single one of them were polite, friendly and immaculately efficient. The food throughout was first class. We were fortunate enough to visit over Valentines weekend when there was a Valentines special menu and a classy inobtrusive singer on the Saturday evening. The spacious lounge and bar sitting areas have multiple fires and cosy chairs and it's lovely to sit around the fire or gaze out of the window looking over the lake. We made use of the Spa facilities too which were very pleasant. We did have a little bit of a negative attitude from the man at the check in desk upon leaving and paying the bill where there was a mistake and some drinks we had already paid for appeared on there. It was a genuine mistake by a member of staff but we were made to feel like we were trying to rip the hotel off and the blame was with us with his further insinuation and manner. Aside from him all the staff were great but it left a little bit of a bad feeling upon checkout. This blip aside, we'll definitely return to the Lodore for another trip to the wonderful lake district next spring. There were young, old and families staying so it appeals to all. The hotel was very busy at a time when the lakes can be fairly quiet which tells you that it must be well liked.

Room Tip: Try for a room to the front overlooking the river if at all possible. If none available however, yo...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Bogsnorkeller
Reviewed 13 February 2012

I am a quite a regular at Lodore (more so if I had the time and money) - I absolutely adore it.
There is no better place ANYWHERE. When I am not there I just crave for the place.
I have stayed in many of the rooms and they are ALL excellent.
I am a bit of a foodie and love good quality food, and the Lodore never dissapoints. Food again is excellent, I cannot fault it or any of the services.
Staff are just incredible - from Angie (reservations) to Jake (best cappaccino ever tasted) and then there is Graeme - Graeme is a jem, and makes any stay there all the more enjoyable.
I could waffle on all day about the Lodore Hotel and how fantastic it is. But go for yourself and find out, I can guarantee you will not be dissapointed.

Teresa Parnell & Jason Palfrey
Suffolk

Room Tip: Lake View Rooms are lovely but all are good.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Teresa P
Reviewed 12 February 2012

This would have been right out of our price range had we not obtained a less-than-half-price special offer. Hence my expectations were very high, though not always fully realised.. The bedroom was generally pleasant, but on the small side. We had to put our second suitcase on the dressing table (or the floor). There was hardly any room in the bathroom to put one's washbag and other bits and pieces - and the design of the hot tap for the bath necessitated my calling someone to get instructions! However the curtains were nicely heavy and lightproof in our room and there were lots of comfortable armchairs and sofas in the public bar and sitting rooms. The staff were pleasant and obliging, though they changed frequently so it was difficult to become familiar with individuals. At breakfast plenty of choice was offered, but the toast arrived on the table so early on that it was cold by the time I was ready to eat it, There was an impressively wide menu for the evening meal, including locally produced food. Simply because of the price I doubt I shall come back, though we enjoyed ourselves and the countryside location. Regular buses were available for Keswick (4 miles away) and to the bottom of the Honister Pass. In summer you can board boats nearby for trips round the lake.

Room Tip: If you want an open view of Derwentwater and mountains, you must be prepared to pay extra.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AilsaC76
Reviewed 10 February 2012

just arrived back home after my son's wedding.The whole family had a wonderful time. The staff were excellent and worked so hard to make the day very special, The fod both at the wedding breakfast and in the evening was excellent, All in all it was a lovely with memories which will always be very special, the sorrounding area makes a wonderful setting for very special pictures. Thank you to all the staff at the Lodores for helping to make my son and his new wife's day very special.

Room Tip: Fell view rooms very good but standard rooms although comfortable are a bit small
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Helen W
LodoreGM, General Manager at Lodore Falls Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2012

Many thanks for your wonderful review on this site.

Lodore Falls is now one of the leading wedding venues in Cumbria with unrivalled standards of food and service in addition to THE finest setting in the Lake District. I'm so pleased that we lived up to these principles when looking after your son, his new bride and all family and friends recently.

Thank you once again for taking the time to place your review and I very much hope to have the pleasure of your company again soon in this wonderful part of the world.

Kind regards

Stephen Johnson

Also consider these accommodations in or near Borrowdale
25.1 km away
15.1 km away
Langdale Hotel
Langdale Hotel
#6 of 12 in Ambleside

Been to Lodore Falls Hotel? Share your experiences!