All reviews car park old building coaching inn lots of character fine dining listed building staff were very friendly every member of staff centre of town very pleasant stay visiting family many thanks night porter couldn't do enough salmon stairs trumpet
Reviewed 6 August 2018 via mobile

We stayed at the Rose and Crown Hotel for one night. We arrived at 9pm to be greeted by a friendly and polite man at Reception. When we went to our room, we were on the top floor (so had to climb a lot of stairs) the room was outdated and tatty, there was no fans or air con so it was unbearably hot! The windows weren’t opening properly so we had an awful night sleep. The next morning I got up to have a shower, there is a sign that says you need to run the shower for several minutes for it to warm up, I run the shower for 15 minutes and it was still cold! I ended up just having a cold shower! We then went to breakfast, the table cloths were dirty and stained, there were crumbs on the table obviously from the previous day so they hadn’t changed them. We then had a look at the continental breakfast, the menu said this consisted of breads, ham, cheese, cereals and yoghurts. All they had was 3 cereal dispensers and some yoghurt! We were then given the hot food menu, this had a full English, omelette or eggs on toast. I ordered poached eggs on white toast and my partner ordered the full English. My poached eggs were hard and completely overcooked, they also served them on brown bread. My partners full English was over done and dry. The bacon was so tough he couldn’t even cut into it. He also did not get toast with the breakfast either and his eggs were hard as well. So overall not a good experience. We were attending a wedding that day and asked if we could check out a little later as the check out time was 11am, we were told no so we ended up driving around for 3 hours and getting ready for the wedding in a toilet at Tesco!

I would not stay here again.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 95amier
Reviewed 28 July 2018 via mobile

Where do I start? walked into the swan bar for a drink and started looking at the deserts (I didn’t want one was just waiting to be served) man behind the bar said in an abrupt voice where not serving food! not hello how can I help just to let you know we are not serving food I ask about the coffee he then asked if was a guest I said no a bit puzzled he said well we don’t serve to the public between 3-6 but we are open so he would serve me ??? Still not polite but I gave up on the coffee and ordered a coke and pint of Stella £6.45 in dirty glass thanks for that!

Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
TheRoseandCrownHotel, Manager at The Rose and Crown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2018

Good morning

Thank you for your review. These are important to us as a business as it helps us to improve.

I have investigated this matter this morning. The member of staff on duty was on his own as his colleague had to go home sick. Unfortunately, he was on his own manning our very busy Reception desk with guests checking in and serving the bar as well. He is sincerely apologetic for what happened, which is totally out of his character. We would like to invite you in to The Rose & Crown Hotel on another occasion when you are in town.

Kind regards.

Manager.

Reviewed 24 July 2018 via mobile

We booked in on Saturday, it looked lovely on the pictures, we got there the man on reception was not welcoming At all ,if I'm honest a bit rude , he try to say they is no rooms left and we not booked, he said the hotel is more for Business meetings , then he found us , ..... Well he gave us our Key 308 , didn't help my partner with luggage as he Walks with walking sticks , when we got to the room it was like it's not been clean bed not made dead spiders on the door frame, bathroom toilet was not flush , we stayed in room for about 10min , then handed key in , I work in a hotel so I know this is not recommended at all , !!!

Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
TheRoseandCrownHotel, Front Office Manager at The Rose and Crown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2018

Since receiving this review I have undertaken a review of what went wrong and have made the staff in the appropriate sections of the business aware that the standards which you received during your stay were highly unacceptable.
I am grateful to you for bringing these issues to our attention, in particular the experience during check-in as we take pride in the care of our customers and the attention to all the little details, therefore we were extremely disappointed to discover that on this occasion we did live up to our usual expectations.
We would welcome you to send us some more information about your stay via email so that we can get to the bottom of all the issues which you had during your stay and ensure that this doesn't happen again.
We do hope that you'll visit us in the future, even if its just to see what improvements we've made since your review.
Kind regards,
The Rose & Crown Hotel

Reviewed 17 July 2018

Centrally Located. Whilst we were their we were given a Flyer from the floats as this was Wibech Rose Festival (Held Annually). Headed" Everyday Carvery ". Our Family booked! On arrival 1-0pm. Sunday !A Not very Polite man informed us No Draught Beer because of "Mumbled Explanation" Bottles Only. We proceeded to the Carvery to be told "No Turkey",if you want it you will have to wait ! Which left Gammon or Beef,The majority had Beef,The waiter had great difficulty in carving and unfortunatly we knew why. We requested Steak knives, it should have been "Chain Saws" ! Vegatables were very Bland. This was supposed to be a Family Reunion Lunch !

Room Tip: Did Not Stay !
  • Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank Brian F
TheRoseandCrownHotel, Front Office Manager at The Rose and Crown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2018

Firstly we would like to thank you for your review. Without this feedback it is hard for us to fulfil our commitment to improving and maintaining our standards.
I'm sorry that you found your meals to be below expectations and I hope that you were able to voice your concerns to a member of staff. We always endeavour to source from local suppliers and we continually monitor our service against other local establishments, so we were especially disappointed to hear of the issues with the beef and our vegetables and will be in discussion with our suppliers to find a solution to this.
I apologise about there being no draught beer, however this was due to a broken down cooler which we were awaiting for an engineer to come out and repair, unfortunately when they arrived to fix the cooler it was discovered that they required 2 engineers for the job and also needed to order a part in for the machine.
This has since been fixed and we are pleased to advise you that we can now offer draught beers to our customers.
I do hope that you'll find time to visit us again as I'm sure your experience will be a much more pleasurable one.
Once again we wholeheartedly apologise for the experience that yourself and your family experienced.
Kindest regards,
The Rose & Crown Hotel

Reviewed 6 July 2018 via mobile

I stayed here for 3 nights. Staff where friendly, but the hotel is old and tired. It needs a bit of money on the place to freshen it up. The rooms are basic and smelt fusty. Would I stay here again no not really.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled on business
TheRoseandCrownHotel, Front Office Manager at The Rose and Crown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2018

Thank you for taking the time to rate our hotel. We were disappointed to read that you'd not stay here again despite the friendly staff. We'd like to take this opportunity to inform you that the hotel is currently on a renovation plan whereby the rooms are being updated one by one without taking away the unique characteristic of the building that many of our guests love. We are sorry that your experience with us was not as it should have been and have since taken measures to ensure that this doesn't happen again. Kind regards, The Rose & Crown Hotel