All reviews car park old building coaching inn lots of character historic hotel fine dining old world staff were very friendly every member of staff very pleasant stay beef stayed for one night visiting family town centre large bathroom many thanks lovely room
Reviewed 2 May 2016

We chose this hotel for the atmosphere. Some parts are 400 years old and we feel that this added to the charm. Sure, the main staircase is a little "quirky", but all the staff worked hard to make our stay as enjoyable as possible. 29 of us sat down to dinner in the Rose Restaurant, on the first floor, and 12 of us stayed in the hotel. David, Anne, John and all the staff helped to make our wedding day even more special. Thank you for your hard work.

• Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 April 2016

Within the last two weeks myself and my husband were invited to a birthday /anniversary celebration at this Hotel. There were 64 people in total at this event . At the same time there was a much smaller party in the hotel celebrating a birthday .
I can honestly say I think it was the worst service /food I have ever experienced .
We sat down to eat at 7.30 and the starters were served at 8.15 . The main course started to be served at about 10pm for the lucky ones . Some guests waited until 10.45 to be served their main course .the food up to this point bore no resemblance to the description in the menu I had ordered from . On top of this the plates were cold and also the food . I could not eat it .
Due to the extremely poor service the decision was made that the deserts would be brought through and we would help ourselves . The events organiser however took it upon here self to serve the gateau . After each slice of gateau she served she promptly licked her fingers and proceeded to cut the next .
The bar service was as good as non existant . Ten minute wait before finding anyone to serve .I requested a lime and lemonade only to be told "the lemonade is flat and we
don't have any more . "
Having travelled four hours to get to this event we booked a room for the night . The room was adequate although we had taps with constant running water as they would not switch off and plenty of noise from the street outside .i
It is obvious to me than in spite of careful planning by the family in booking this event ,the hotel management had put little or no effort into enduring the night was a success
To recap -: Very poor service in the restaurant , very poor food / poorly staffed and equipped bar .
The management /owner of this hotel must take full responsibility for what happened /did not happen at this event . The staff on duty did the best they could .

I will never visit this establishment again .

• Trip type: Travelled with friends
3  Thank anneA5122TO
Reviewed 18 April 2016

Our room was dreadful, no working lights in the bathroom. Bathroom shelf was hanging off the wall and bedroom curtain faded & shabby. The wallpaper was peeling badly with a damp patches and mould. No hot water at all. Lack of salad or lighter bites on the menu. Absence of a fruit bowl at breakfast despite being shown on the menu. The staff were polite but inexperienced even the duty manager didn't appear to have any control of the situation. We were offered a discount on the room, because of the several issues and the fact we had to wash & shower in another room down the corridor. Most unsatisfactory.
Woud not even consider staying again

Room tip: If you have to stay, get a back room, Market noise is terrible
Date of stay: March 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank joanna5592
Reviewed 17 April 2016

Booked a room for two nights having travelled up from Bristol for a friends birthday and wedding anniversary celebration.

We had what was described as a deluxe room. I would have hated to see the standard. The room was very hot so turned the radiator down but the bathroom was freezing. No radiator in there. The expelair was really noisy and stayed on for ages after you turned the light off so nighttime bathroom visits meant we were both awake. That was if we had managed to sleep at all.. The room was dreadfully noisy.

The first night we went to bed at 10.30 and we're still awake at 2.30. The noise from outside was deafening and it sounded like they were in the room. The people in the next room came in about 11.30 then proceeded to chat for hours. Amongst other things. All of which we had to listen too. At 2.30 I went downstairs to ask to be moved and when I eventually found someone they said there were no free rooms (I later found that to be untrue as another couple checking in the following afternoon were given the choice of a number of rooms). The next day we went out and bought earplugs which helped a little but the snoring man in the room on the other side sounded like he was in bed with us!

There was also no soap in the bathroom so we couldn't wash our hands until we went out and bought some. The room would have been acceptable had it not been for the noise.

I accept that this is a very old building and there must be issues with soundproofing but we booked months in advance and specified a quiet room. This wasn't it!

Breakfast was ok but service was dreadful on the 2nd morning. Very slow and we had to keep asking for everything. Initially we were told we could have eggs. Had to have buffet which didn't include any form of egg. Eventually relented and did our request poached eggs.

Then there was the party in the Trumpet room. It was like a really bad episode of Faulty towers. The food was dreadful. No one on our table could eat their main courses. They were varyingly cold, undercooked, overcooked......... None bore any resemblance to what had been ordered. We sat down to eat about 7.30 and after the poor/average starters they started serving mains at about 8.15. At 10.30 some people still hadn't been served and what did eventually come out was inedible. It was as though they had forgotten we were there and hadn't ordered enough food. The waitresses did their best but you could see they were clearly embarrassed and uncomfortable.

Desserts were served after 11 pm and it was self service. Probably the best bit of the meal.

There was no one running the bar and we had to search for someone to serve drinks at the downstairs bar.

This was just horrible for the family whose event it was who had booked many months before. I spoke to what I was told was the events manager, along with the daughter of the party hosts. She was so rude. She clearly didn't care and all she kept saying was "what do you expect me to do about it".

Finally, when we came to check out there was no one available on reception. Mik had to go and get one of the waitresses from the breakfast room. I wish now we had just walked out and not paid!

I will never, ever stay here again and I sincerely suggest you dont either.

Room tip: I have no idea but avoid the rooms overlooking the main road. We were in 309 and our view was the local pound shop!
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank Lynda C
Reviewed 16 April 2016 via mobile

Should have been a meal with friends. The poor waitress only on her second day was completely abandoned by management. Starters where cold and had to be sent back. Arrived at 7pm still waiting for main course at 9.45. Total disaster I cannot believe the good reviews are genuine, there are to many 5stars for the size of this business. There are plenty of better places in Wisbech avoid at all costs.

Trip type: Travelled with friends