“Evening Meal”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 14 September 2018 via mobile

What an excellent meal we both had. I had the best liver and bacon I have ever tasted with vegetables and new sliced fried. My husband had haddock and chips with mushy peas. A couple of drinks to accompany our meal, perfect. Staff and Maggie are lovely. Thank you for a wonderful evening, highly recommend to all.

1  Thank mxfactor

Reviewed 13 September 2018 via mobile

Weekly meal and pub night with friends found us again at the Red Lion. Excellent pint of London Pride, great meals, slow cooked belly pork, lasagne, musaka, Mediterranean meat pasta, pork chops and fried onions fresh veg and salads.
Portions are very large and filling, all supported by the best barmaid in Wisbech Kate. Great night again thanks.

1  Thank Paul T
Reviewed 13 September 2018 via mobile

Having recently moved to the area we were recommended to try this place.

At 6.00 we arrived only to be told that the kitchen was closed and we would need to wait. Nothing mentioned online, where I could see, that mentions food not served until 6.45.

So we sat and had a drink. I noticed a smell of old grease in the air bit didn't take too much notice- boy I was wrong!

My husband had the mix grill and I had the sirloin steak.

It came to us piled high with potatoes (ten in fact) so portion size was good but too much for my appetite.

I started eating potatoes and the waitress came over to see if all was okay. We hadn't tasted the meat by then.

Well I started on the meat it was tasteless and tough. Considering it was sirloin, I have tasted leaner rump. My husband also could eat the majority of the meat as too it was tough and low grade meat.

It tasted of old oil. We stopped eating hoping a waitress would come up.

Whilst waiting all we coukd gear was the microwave pinging constantly and the sizzling which resembled a frying pan.

So my husband had taken a few noted and left the meal. I too left 3/4 of the steak and ate no vegetables as these were just put in a small dish on top of each other. There was no taste to them or the mushroom I ate

When pointing this out the waitress said she would take £3 off. We hardly touched our food unless you class half of a potatoes and a mouthful of meat. If anyone had dentures boy tbey woukd have trouble.

Felt sick with the grease.

No apologies just very defensive.

Won't be coming back. No way the meat was fresh. If it were I woukd change your supplier

2  Thank CharmmyKitty
Reviewed 9 September 2018

Often eat at this wonderful pub when we visit relatives in Wisbech, never been disappointed yet. The major problem I have is deciding what to chose from the vast lunch time specials menu. On our latest visit I counted 13 mains and 10 desserts. The 4 of us all had something different and they were all excellent. The service, as always was very friendly. We will definitely eat here again the next time we are in town.

Reviewed 3 September 2018 via mobile

We was in the town looking for somewhere which could accomentat two gluten free went in the rose and crown they could only do a dry carvery no gravy so I looked on here who had the most stars found the red lion had four wonderful meals well looked after pricing fair plenty of food and I will return in the future.