“A wonderful vacation”
other travellers have booked this property

Review of The Bakery Cottage

Welcome to Bakery Cottage Brick paved patio area and ornamental pond
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Very good
Welcome to Bakery Cottage
Brick paved patio area and ornamental pond
Swing seat in the shade next to the garden pond
Garden double room - with private wash hand basin
Galley kitchen with beams and large sky light window
view two of the galley kitchen
Dinning table for 6 people
Ground floor shower room and loo adjacent to the Rose room
Upstairs shower room en suit to the Lavender room
Italian garden patio area
View from the cottage back door into the garden, enjoy the butterfly's and the birds
Outdoor dinning for 6 near the pond
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

ccpamwebe...
Cologne, Germany
“A wonderful vacation”
Reviewed 9 August 2018 for a stay in July 2018

We stayed for two weeks in the Bakery Cottage. Carol is a wonderful landlady who is always very helpful. The cottage comes with a large, almost enchanted garden. You'll need a car in West Wratting, but Cambridge, the Fens and many other sights are quickly reachable. We visited London by using the train. The nearest supermarket is about 15 minutes away. West Wratting is a quiet getaway but comes with many footpaths and a really nice pub. The Bakery Cottage is an ideal place to visit East Anglia.

12 Aug 2018
Thank you for the review you were also very lovely holiday guests . It was a pleasure to meet you all . Thank you for the help in the garden.
michael s
“Cosy cottage,quiet location ideal getaway.”
Reviewed 2 June 2018 for a stay in May 2018

Really enjoyed our stay, quaint cosy cottage.Carol made us feel at home. Loved the unusual garden.Good location but you must have a car to get around. Local pub with good food within walking distance.

5 Jun 2018
Thank you , really nice friendly guests.
amuse-bou...
E.Yorks.
“Disappointing dated accommodation”
Reviewed 12 August 2017 for a stay in July 2017

This was the third cottage of our UK holiday and our least favourite. Electricity was provided by a meter which only accepts old-style pound coins which is a nuisance. The cottage was also dated, full of cobwebs [ much to the distaste of our teenage daughter and friend!] and the lounge and downstairs bedroom were particularly dark [lots of overgrown foliage round the front door and window added to this]. The front bedrooms also had traffic noise not helped by the single-glazing. Admittedly, the weather was wet [ there was also a leaking gutter over the front door] which didn't help but it was unusually chilly in the evening for the time of year. The owner suggested switching on the small electric heater provided [more coins required for said meter] as central heating was off for the summer but this wasn't an adequate solution to heat both upstairs and downstairs. The kitchen was dated, the oven was not working so we had to use the grill and some of the higher kitchen shelves were dusty. The sun finally made an appearance on our last day but we were disappointed to find the garden overgrown and the benches covered in wet leaves, feathers etc-very uninviting for an aperitif so we went to the pub up the road instead. There is no shop in the village however and the nearest food store is a 20 minute drive - we arrived late afternoon and had to turn out again in the rain for milk. On a positive note the cottage is well positioned for Cambridge and the Newmarket Road Park & Ride.

Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
23 Aug 2017
Sorry for the delay in responding but I have had a family bereavement .
The electric meter at the moment only takes old £1 coins but a new meter is on order. I let every one know this before hand and offer a supply of coins if needed.
I was made aware of the leaking gutter and the next day when the rain stopped it was cleaned out and the foliage cut back.The weather had been really bad with high winds and rain causing the leaves to block the gutter and the foliage to drop badly causing the bed room to be dark.
The village is a very quiet peaceful village as mentioned before by other guests and noise has never before been a problem.
Due to the bad weather I was asked for the heating to be switched on sadly I was out for the evening and and not near by so suggested using the convector heater . I would gladly have switched it on if I had been at home. The heating is switched off for the summer.
The oven was working for the people staying before and was working for the people staying afterwards but I had my electrician check it out to make sure finding nothing wrong. He said the only thing it could have been was the automatic oven switch must have been in. If only the guests had asked me I would have sorted it out for them.
The cottage has chairs and a bench with cushions to use on their patio which are always clean and tidy. I said the guests were free to use the rest of my garden which due to the bad weather was quite over grown in places my chairs may have had leaves on and being in the country I have birds and trees in the garden .
I have to apologise about the cobwebs etc because due to my personal situation spending time with my terminally ill family member I had to employ a local cleaner who obviously cut many corners. The lady no longer works for me and I am now responsible for the cleaning. I also always leave milk tea and coffee for my guests on arrival but in this case the milk was not left. I can only say sorry you were disappointed.
Finally the nearest food store is the Co op in Linton which is only 10 minutes away and Sainsburys is 15 minutes on the out skirts of Haverhill.
JalDavies
Vancouver, Canada
“Great accommodation. Very nice cottage and garden.”
Reviewed 20 July 2017 for a stay in July 2017
person found this review helpful

Six adults are easily accommodated in this quaint but well equipped cottage. It has everything you need to self cater. The garden is quiet and secluded, overgrown at the edges, and very nice. It is great for a quiet morning coffee or afternoon tea, or listening to the church bells. The village of West Wratting is well located for touring to Cambridge, the Fens, Ely, Norwich, the coast and much more. Six members of my family, all adults, spent five nights at the Bakery Cottage and we all enjoyed it very much. The host Carol was very nice and very helpful. Highly recommended.

5 Jun 2018
Sorry for the delay. Glad you all enjoyed your stay. I do my best to make everyone welcome.
evelyncru...
Enniskillen, United Kingdom
“Extremely Disappointed”
Reviewed 19 June 2017 for a stay in January 2017
person found this review helpful

I booked our holiday late January dates 8th to 15th July by telephone with Carol and posted my cheque as requested for £100 deposit on 1st February this was taken out of my account within a week .I rang Carol 5 weeks before our arrival date to discover she had doubled booked the cottage for 2 weeks to other clients ,to say I was disappointed was an understatement. After a lot of stress we did find an other cottage albeit 1hour drive from Cambridge I had a B&B 20 years ago and used my yearly diary to book people in and I worked on the princeable first in first served .I have NO doubt Carol your place is LOVELY but you can imagine how I felt

Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
21 Jun 2017
I was very sorry that I had made a mistake and double booked but I contacted Cambridge Tourist Board and found two other available cottages which I promptly rang and gave Evelyn the details of. I straight away returned her deposit of £100 to her.
I made several telephone calls to Ireland to check if she was sorted out but did not find any one in.This has never happened before to me and I will make doubly sure it never happens again.
I was looking forward to meeting Evelyn as she sounded a really nice lady.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing