All reviews the pub traditional english breakfast old english pub oak beams land lord we loved our stay many many thanks friendly locals hot shower rooms are nice tube station full english home from home stayed for nights fresh fruit high street enjoyable stay
Reviewed 29 June 2018

Booked directly with the pub and was given a deal for two nights. My room was fine, but very noisy till 11.30pm and I was going to a wedding the next day so not happy. My son's room stank of cigarette smoke. Breakfast was ok - well the fruit was!! The scrambled egg was full of big white lumps, hadn't been mixed properly and I think it had been cooked in a microwave. The tomatoes had barely been grilled - were still solid.
But what was most offputting was the attire of the waiter - I've never seen a greasier, dirtier apron. Not good!!! So didn't have breakfast on the second morning but went elsewhere.
When I came to pay I had forgotton that I'd been given a deal for the two night booking so paid the full price and when I phoned later to ask for a refund for the deal I'd been given, they denied ever giving me a deal.
This pub is vastly overpriced for the standard of rooms and food.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
2  Thank meera m
Reviewed 28 June 2018

Booked two double rooms 4 weeks in advance through Hotels.com for work colleagues, however when they arrived all that was available was one twin room.
Fortunately the colleagues were both females and agreed to share as there was no alternative, god knows what would have happened had it been a male and female.

No apology was made by the owner who instead tried blaming hotels.com for the mess, we were however given a drink which we though was some form of compensation for the error.........how wrong we were.

Having checked out the next day, the owner hunted me down by telephone to insist on payment for the two drinks !!

on contacting Hotels,com for a refund of the room that wasn't supplied we were told they couldn't issue a refund as the hotel owner wouldn't agree to it, WTF

Only a threat of a credit card chargeback resulted in us getting a refund and the extract from a hotels.com email below says it all.

We understand the need to get a refund for this reservation. We have checked your reservation and found out that you booked a double room. We have called the hotel and luckily, we were able to get a refund......................not sure what was lucky about it?

On top of this it's just not a great hotel, room was dirty and service was very, very poor.

Wouldn't recommend to my worst enemy.

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled on business
2  Thank marvintheboston
Reviewed 16 June 2018 via mobile

After disappointment in a place around the corner , it was nice to come here and be reminded what a proper pub is . Great food , quite busy but no issues with service or time . We will be back next time we are down visiting relatives and book ahead so we dont miss out. Cheers

Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 May 2018

If you're looking for an old traditional pub this is the place both in the bar and rooms. I enjoyed the evening with a choice of beers and steak & kidney pudding. Conversation between an American, Norwegian, Australian and English passed the evening quickly.
The bedroom offered a comfortable bed, a very small TV and little noise from the road. However creaky floorboards would wake a partner. Most significant is the plumbing where water use in any part of the pub seemed to go through my room. Maybe bring earplugs and everything will be fine.
Also be aware there is no off street parking so you may be parked a long way up the street.

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled solo
2  Thank Chris and Janet... P
Reviewed 21 May 2018 via mobile

It is really 3+ stats. We stayed there for 4 nights. Outside is really nice and welcoming with an amazing beer garden. We stayed in the converted stables next to the beer garden, in our own house, which was quirky and pretty and large - but not a double bed only two single beds. The room was white with brown beams, but it could have been so much better with only a few small grips: the dusty beams could have been cleaned, same with the bathroom ceiling and generally old spiderwebby corners. This really pulls down the general feeling and can very easily be fixed. Other than that the room was fine, and even if the wall-to-wall carpet is not my favourite it is an English B&B after all, and the bathroom was tiled with a decent water pressure and hot water.

The breakfast was a full English if you wanted one, but you could also get a bowl of fruit and some toast if you wanted a lighter option.

The location is prime.