2,138 results
All reviews exercise classes thalassotherapy pool health spa breakfast and lunch healthy food my mum treatment area sun loungers standard room relaxing break night break restaurant staff special offer birthday treat lovely grounds thalassotherapy session loyalty voucher
Reviewed 3 November 2018 via mobile

Having visited this Resort on a Relax Day basis many times, a deal came up that that was irresistible, so I took the husband along as we were both in need of some chill time!
Arriving at 1.45pm,we were given a friendly check in, however you can't go to your room until 2 p.m. and you can't buy a coffee whist you wait because of the cashless system. It would be nice if there was a beverage area in the lounge to have whilst you wait, as there is with the welcome breakfast when you come on a Relax Day.
Once in, we were very pleased with our room which had a lovely comfy bed and amazingly smooth cotton sheets, full hospitality tray and some lovely Champneys products.
We arrived at the Restaurant for our evening meal. For some time now service and food in the restaurant has been heading downwards, the staff have looked stressed and unhappy in their jobs and the food mediocre. However Marcelo, the new Food and Beverage Manager has already been busy motivating this team and it's nice to see the staff move with a sense of purpose and pride in their job, under his direction. There is also a new Head Chef. At dinner we sat on the central bench tables. If you sit there, you get offered crudités and an extra course of soup(my husband is a devil for a bargain so found is irresistible!)
I'm gluten and chocolate allergic and this was mentioned to our server Oliver, who was extremely helpful throughout our stay. He and Kelly were instrumental in ensuring that I was aware of my safe options.
We did find menu choice was geared toward vegan and vegetarian dishes, unless you paid extra.
We elected to go for the hake which was really amazing! Dessert for me was fruit salad with sorbet whilst my husband tucked into an amazing looking chocolate mousse!!
The refurbishement of the resort is almost complete now and the place looks beautiful. We were most impressed by the way the the waiting area for treatments had been done.
After a good night's sleep, we returned for breakfast. You can pay for it extra options should you desire but we found plenty choice in what was offered and I was pleased to see good gluten-free variety for myself . Some gluten-free crackers would be the only thing I would suggest adding.
After breakfast we spent the Morning by the pool, swimming and relaxing and enjoying the saunas and steam room.
Then it was time for lunch. The buffet appeared much improved and plentiful and we really enjoyed this meal.
The afternoon was spent letting all this food go down and we chilled out in the conservatory chatting and reading. Sadly it was then time to go home. We had a really lovely time and felt sooo relaxed!! Thanks also to Rosina for her help.

Date of stay: November 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank G3Queen
MichielB239, General Manager at Champneys Henlow, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Dear Guest,

Your feedback is music to my ears - thank you. In the last 12 months we have not only been investing millions in the refurbishment of Henlow, but also in the training of staff and we are certainly seeing it pay off especially when we see what a marked improvement there is from customer feedback.

The team at Champneys are so pleased to read how much you enjoyed your break.

Thank you once again and we look forward to seeing you again for a spa break very soon.

Reviewed 3 November 2018 via mobile

What a fantastic evening at Champneys Twilight Spa deal which is only £39 which is available on Tuesdays and Thursdays. It includes full access to the facilities including any classes which are on and use of the pool, sauna, steam room etc.
Free use of the lockers with a wristband provided along with robes and flip flops
The facilities are brilliant, very clean with a very warm welcome at reception.
Dinner was also included - a three course meal which was delicious. You may add steak or rack of lamb etc for an additional £6/7 although the selection and portion sizes are great and revitalising.
I’d highly recommend this for an evening.

Date of stay: November 2018
Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank Kady B

Dear Kady,

Your feedback is short and to the point; 5 star score for a fantastic spa evening. Thank you also for your strong recommendation to other readers of this sight and future customers.

I hope that we are privileged to host you again in the near future.

Reviewed 1 November 2018

Me and my friend went to Champneys Tring for my birthday in July and absolutely loved it, so thought we would try out Henlow as well and my god is there a difference!
The housekeeping staff at Henlow are very brash, and came round at 930ish already waiting for us to vacate the room (we were allowed in until 11am).
I left my mini speaker in the room when we left and called as soon as I got home. Reception had no idea what to do, there was no protocol in place to deal with lost property, and I had to wait 2 whole days for anyone from housekeeping to get back to me. When they finally did I was told my best bet was to contact the police and ask them to conduct an investigation because Champneys take no liability for property on the premises.

I was promised an internal investigation would take place and that I would hear back within 24 hours. I heard absolutely nothing until about 5 days after when I emailed the over arching Champneys Group General Manager. Received a sub par email quite frankly, and still no information as to the whereabouts of my property.

The only people to have entered the room after myself was the house keeping staff, so someone must have at least seen it.

Absolutely shocked that the staff at Champneys Henlow cannot be trusted to return property to customers.

So much for the customer is always right!

I've gone from looking forward to a nice relaxing weekend, to leaving the spa feeling demoralised, more stressed, and un appreciated.

I will never be going back to this resort again.

Room tip: Don't trust the staff
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
4  Thank Getaway15809048650

Dear Guest,

It disappoints me to read the review you have left on TripAdvisor which appears that your complaints have escalated due to the issues of your lost speakers. We have had communication with you that your speakers were not left in your room and certainly not stolen by anyone employed by Champneys, therefor I do not know what more we can do?

Reviewed 26 October 2018 via mobile

Been going for years but each time we go more and more corners are cut and more charges creep in. Loyalty voucher but big charge for fri night really bumped it up. Food ok but vegetarian selection is poor at lunch snd dinner, so many extra Charges for side dishes etc and wine is at least £30.00 per bottle! New layout means you are very very close to other diners - the benches are a wired addition - and empty! The treatments are good but not great value to be honest. All ok but not fab.

Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank Sam C

Dear Sam,

Thank you for your feedback.

I was disappointed to read that you were not entirely satisfied by our selection of dishes. Your comments are not common, however I will pass your feedback to our Head Chef.

Here at Champneys, we provide the highest service, ensuring that all guests have an enjoyable experience with us... Therefor cutting corners is something that Champneys certainly do not do.

Reviewed 24 October 2018

I booked this for a relaxing spa weekend for me and my partner and I was disappointing. It's advertised as a spa, it's not it's a nice pool. They have a steam room and sauna in the changing rooms, not very good if you're with someone of the opposite sex. They did have a sauna poolside but it was small. On arrival there was a big queue at reception, like they didn't expect people to be all checking in at the same time? The room is no better than a cheap hotel room, the heated towel rail had the electric wire held on with duct tape. The food was nice, but the portions are tiny, take snacks. The breakfast buffet didn't have any hot food, you needed to pay extra for a cooked breakfast. The only part of the break I can't fault was the treatments, my partner and I both enjoyed them very much. For the money you pay you can do a lot better.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank stuart s

Dear Stuart,

Thank you for your feedback.

As you are aware we are in the process of having a refurbishment and hence there are certain areas which are being improved. None the less, we are still able to maintain the Champneys standards and many of our guests are able to attest to that. In this situation, all we do is re-iterate our unswerving commitment to do everything we can to give all our guests the best possible experience whenever they choose to visit us.