2,138 results
All reviews exercise classes thalassotherapy pool health spa breakfast and lunch healthy food my mum treatment area sun loungers standard room relaxing break night break restaurant staff special offer birthday treat lovely grounds thalassotherapy session loyalty voucher
Reviewed 14 August 2016

My daughter and I booked a spa break at Champneys Henlow for early August, and were very much looking forward to a relaxing weekend in the country.

Being in the country turned out to be a nightmare..... having been allocated a weir view room, which was beautiful, we had an afternoon mooching around the grounds, then had a rest for an hour before dinner, listening to the water outside the room. Having closed the windows, shut the curtains for security despite the heat and no air con in the room, we went for dinner.

We returned a couple of hours later to a scene from Jurassic Park! The room was literally swarming with bugs..... it made our skin crawl. They were in the corners, all over the bedside tables, and bed, and could be seen in the air! No way we could spend the night in the bedroom.

And we didn't!!! We had to leave the hotel...... having been offered 'bug spray' that was the best the evening receptionist could do, because at Champneys there are no managers on site after 22.00! There were no spare rooms - go Champneys for being so busy! - so midnight saw my daughter and I returning to the car in a badly lit carpark, alone to return home. We weren't offered assistance to our car or even a particularly sincere apology.

The following morning saw me chasing the Duty Manager three times before I managed to make contact, because she certainly wasn't going to return my calls. I was told that 'what should I expect in the country.........' Shocking!! I had to ask for recompense, there was no offer forthcoming.

Being less than satisfied with the customer service, I chased the General Manager, Mr Simmonds. Now Mr Simmonds should definitely be congratulated on backing his staff, although probably not for his customer service skills. The man was condescending, patronising and generally displayed disappointing customer liaison ability.

The second Mr Simmonds, who is apparently the Group Operations Manager for Champneys - any relation we ask, well related in customer service at least as he has yet to even pass comment!

This is the worst episode of customer service I have ever been party to, and that's even without taking into consideration the original even that caused me to have to deal with him and his team.

I can only hope that the other Champneys locations are better suited to a restful break.......

Room tip: If you want to be able to open your windows at all, ask for a room not over the river
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
7  Thank Marie B
Reviewed 13 August 2016

I have visited Champneys Henlow a number of times, usually with my daughter. On our last visit we bought a very reasonable 2-night package and were very lucky to be upgraded to a premier room in the old house. The room was beautiful; however on the second night there was a very loud vibration sound coming from the radiators which kept us up all night. We complained to the manager the next day who was very apologetic and gave us both a complimentary one-night stay! I have to say I didn't expect this and was very impressed with the attitude and service. We took our complimentary trip in July and enhanced the experience with a couple of massages each - both excellent. I must say we are always more than happy with our visits to Henlow. I know that there are a few flaws (you can't choose when you have your massages) and the food perhaps isn't quite as good as it used to be, but overall it represents very good value for money. I've been to a couple of spa hotels recently that have been more luxurious but it just isn't the same as Champneys in terms of the facilities and classes included. I think my only real criticism is that there isn't a hot jacuzzi but only a whirlpool attached to the pool. Perhaps the managers might consider installing one either indoors or in the garden? The temperature of the whirlpool appears to be an issue with some of your customers.
I look forward to many more trips to Champneys with my daughter in the future.

Room tip: The premier rooms in the old house are lovely if you can afford it.
Date of stay: July 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank penny542
Reviewed 13 August 2016 via mobile

This was such an amazing day. Managed to get a groupon deal for the day and was certainly not disappointed. Arrived at nine and was treated to a small breakfast and tea before being taken to get robes and flip flops and be shown around. The day was so well organised with the massages all booked and a thalassotherapy session as a surprise. The massages were wonderful and so relaxing. Lunch was superb and so healthy. Classes can be booked and there is a great array of them to choose from. Went away from the resort eight hours later feeling well and truly pampered. Thank you.

Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank Kirsty H
Reviewed 12 August 2016

great staff, friendly, genuine had time to spend chatting with me and my friend
Great facilities, choice of classes, beautiful pool and jacuzzi area
really great breakfast and lunch
Dinner slightly more limited
great that although we had to check out of the room by 11am we could use the facilities until 4pm (including the bathrobe)
Really good value from TimeOut Secret Escapes £159 for 2 people for 1 night including breakfast, lunch, dinner, all classes and facilities

• Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 August 2016

I stayed for a week at Champneys Henlow - two different breaks. My break didn't start well when I wasn't given the room I had booked. But to give the manager his due - when I insisted on speaking to him he did sort it out and I got my river/weir view room.

The gardens, fitness facilities and treatments are all on the whole good to excellent - and help to make a stay enjoyable. There is a really good range of fitness classes. Staff are friendly and helpful.

The restaurant staff are extremely attentive and the food is healthy and delicious with plenty of choice.

Unfortunately the general ambiance of the hotel is let down because in some areas it is looking quite tired and dated.

The main reason I cannot give higher than average is the standard of house keeping in my room - seven nights and my bedding wasn't changed, toiletries not replenished unless I left a note, water and complimentary tea and coffee not replenished daily. My room was cleaned well on the day after I arrived but for the following six days it appeared the bed was made and towels replenished and very little else was done.

I like my room to be made up early - so everyday I put the make room up sign out - I do realise sometimes because of changeovers its difficult to make rooms up early but it was after 15.00 everyday that my room was made up. I just wish they would take those signs away if they are going be ignored!

I love Champneys at Tring and Springs so come on Henlow Champneys don't rest on your laurels.

Room tip: River/weir view room.
Date of stay: July 2016