“BEST VACATION EVERRRRRR!!!”

Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Xpu-Ha
Reviewed 13 October 2017

Where do I begin?

First the hotel, Bel Air:
Before I came I read some of the reviews and I was a little worried. But now that I have actually experienced it, I understand the problem. SOME people want a 5 star hotel with all the amenities for the same cheap price as a local-style resort.
NOT. GONNA .HAPPEN.
But whatever, if you are looking for a ritzy, full amenity, New-York style suite in the middle of the Mayan Riviera, this is NOT your place. If you are looking for an affordable stay and more for your dollar with a more authentic style, wildlife and experience... you will LOVE THIS RESORT.

We found it charming. We fell in love with the property, the wildlife, the people, the on-property cenote and the experience in general.

Our room was clean, the housekeeping was honest and dependable. The staff was kind and courteous and went out of their way to make us feel like friends rather than guests. Was the room remodeled yesterday with brand new marble tubs and golden plated faucets? No. Did we give two hoots? No. It was adorable with the tile motif and the Jacuzzi. My husband and/or I spent every night in that thing.

The food... well it was amazing. But, rather than trying to get Italian or American cuisine, which I could get every other night of the week in my own city... I opted for their specials which were local dishes, or I ordered a local dish of the menu. I LOVED IT! Honestly, it was some of the best food I've ever had. So, again, if you are there to experience the local culture and enjoy the culture of the Mayan Riviera rather than trying to be Paris Hilton eating caviar, you'll love this place.

The area was gorgeous. Seriously. The Cacun hotel district is overrated and this area is truly where it's at for people who crave a little privacy, some space, and some personalized service and some local flavor. The beaches, the cenotes and lagoons in this area are world class. We loved every minute of every day while were there.

Yet, others having basically the same experience complained about this or that little detail. Go figure. Some people need Waldorf style amenities to feel like they are having a good time. I get that, I just don't understand it.

Happy, adventure seekers are a different breed, I guess.

The property had coatimundi (coati to the locals), raccoons, iguanas- huge ones all over the place, peccary, crocodiles (in an enclosure), manatees, geckos, lizards and hilarious birds that cracked us up with their chattering. All over the expansive property. We walked everywhere just so we could hang out with all the natural wildlife running around there. What a TREAT!

Finally, the staff. I hope I can remember them all, because we became quite fond of them all. So many laughs, so many great cocktails, so many great meals, so many great suggestions on where to visit in the area. They were my friends:
Francisco, Adrianne, Patricia, the lady manager at the restaurant whose name I forgot but whose sense of humor I will NOT forget, Eliver (the best bartender in the world), Jesus, Simon, Victor, Giovanni, the security staff, the housekeeping, and all the other team members who made our stay a memory of a lifetime.

We didn't even use the kid's club or the kid's pool or the beach club... so that's a whole bunch of other stuff that was available.

One last word, I shopped at a little strip by Akumal, and also in Playa Del Carmen. I got most of my souvenirs purchased there. THEN, I went to the Cancun Hotel District before we caught the plane. 15 minutes into the flea market and I wanted to kill somebody. NO amount of Tequila can make those obnoxious vendors tolerable. God it was awful. I wanted to stage my own death so they would leave me alone, blood-sucking leeches.

So yeah, that's about it. I hope this helps. My husband and I went this time, and celebrated our 16 years of marriage, and a second honeymoon but we are booking our next vacay there with our kids and family friend. We know it will be a good time!

Room Tip: wildlife, local. authentic, quiet, charming
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Jodi J
Concierge B, Guest Relations Manager at Bel Air Collection Xpu Ha Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2017

Dear Jodi J:

Thank you for the privilege of hosting your 16th Anniversary celebration, we feel humbled to know that during this special trip you created magical memories that we trust you saved not only in your camera, but also in your heart.

We also very pleased to know that some outstanding employees at Bel Air Xpuha Riviera Maya have been able to add value to this unique experience; Francisco, Adrianne, Patricia, Eliver, Jesus, Victor and Giovanni will be very excited to know their names appeared in your comment.

We really hope that you return to visit us in this Mayan paradise, we are to serve you and remember that in , you will always find your home in the Riviera Maya.

Warmest regards,

Write a ReviewReviews (3,041)

Reviewed 12 October 2017 via mobile

The main reason I picked this resort was because of the outdoors jungle like experience and the onsite zoo.. I was very disappointed to find out that the animals had been removed.. I understand the reason they were removed, but still a disappointment.
I also agree that the empty animal cages were a bit of an eye sore and disappointed about the onsite beach access. And think that a shuttle for guess wanting to see sights would make for a much better experience.. Our experience going into town was not a good experience.

With the negatives out of the way everthing else was wonderful... We loved the seclusion and the jungle feel. The wildlife that live on the resort made it even better. The Cenotes were amazing as both as a view from our deck as well as the snorkling.

They staff was all very attentive, never had to wait on cart transport more then a few minutes... However I would have to say the best experience came from the restaurant staff... (Spent a lot of time in restaurant thru out day) although everyone was always so cheerful and attentive on making sure we had every thing we needed. There were a few that always went above and beyond.

From the hostess that held the door as you entered and/or exited and always making sure your seat placement with the restaurant was acceptable. To the wait staff (Jesus Pina) that never let your drink glass go empty and always made sure you had more than enough to eat.

But I will have to say that one person that truly went above and beyond and treated us like family was adrian huratado bustamante... His dedication to his job and to our experience at the resort is what makes the negitives from above not even matter. I have told all of my family and friends about this young mans hard work at making sure we had a experience that he will be the reason that we will come back.
Tommie and Toni Hefner
Edinburg Va.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Concierge B, Guest Relations Manager at Bel Air Collection Xpu Ha Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2017

Dear Toni H:

Thank you for the time taken to share your valuable feedback with us, please know your review is very important to evaluate our hotel and services. We take pride in offering the highest level of service and we always want our guests to feel welcome. Our service is designed to be timely, efficient and informative, our staff is committed to excellence by providing our guests with the finest level of hospitality and personal service. However, it is very disappointing to receive such comments about the quality of the resort; we are deeply sorry that we did not live up to the expectations that you have so rightfully set before us. Please know that we do not strive for mediocrity, so we will use your comments to ensure that we are providing our guests with the very best.

We look forward to welcoming you soon in our Hotel. Kind regards.

Reviewed 29 September 2017

wrote a review prior to leaving but I will comment again here. As an owner with Bel Air Collections I would say the the first and foremost asset are your employees. We were treated with the greatest respect and professional regard.

I would like to first recognize our waiter from the restaurant Jesus Arturo Marquez Pina. He was excellent. First was his reception of us the first night. He was respectful welcoming and sought to provide us with top service. He did not request a tip but was most gracious. At the end of my stay I took good care of him as I did other employees. Please see about promoting him to a supervisor or head waiter. Also in the restaurant was the sweetest most joyful young lady, Lupita. She was an absolute joy the entire week, her smile and kindness was so appreciated.

The employee that truly made our vacation a joy was Lazaro Rosales of (animacion). He along with Hector truly provided a great spirit of enjoyment. From assisting with Bicycling to water sports and pool activities to the enjoyable nights in the Lobby Bar. Lazaro has a true selfless heart and gives what he can of himself to see to it that all guests are Happy. I would encourage you to give him greater responsibility in his area, he does great work.

I believe we've only had Bel Air Riviera Maya a short time. I would imagine 30 years ago it was a wonderful place. With all the empty animal pins and cages it gives a feeling of having been abandoned. This is the first impression as you go through the property. A high priority would be to remove these eye sores. In addition as you are aware is the maintenance. From a dirty pool, to broken air-conditioning in your sushi restaurant. Not to mention the carts that are worn and rusted. Black mold on stone throughout the pool area.

Updating and remodeling your restaurants and pool area. One banister with caution tape because it is a hazard to fall off the bridge. Much is needed and you would do well to reward well your employees. Let them keep full tips, they are your connection to our guests. They will keep the lower middle class customer coming. Improved facilities with an indoor gym that is spacious and modern, your spa is so hidden I never saw it. Got massage in playa del Carmen. Offer the option of female and male massage therapists.

The area where your tiger cages once were and the other area around it would make perfect spot for new athletic facility and spa. Current spa area maybe a Business Center.

Promote your surrounding area, there is a quaint small village nearby, shopping and ATM machines. Provide transport to the small town with dolphins and restaurants on a river. People want variety. We spent mostly at BelAir but also went into town Get an ATM on grounds, we were told to go the Playa el Carmen to get cash. Terrible and inconvenient
My thought and observations. Please personally thank employees mentioned acknowledge their work.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Stefon T
Concierge B, Guest Relations Manager at Bel Air Collection Xpu Ha Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2017

Dear Stefon T:

Reviewed 26 September 2017

Even though the animals are no longer there, the experience was amazing. It was really cool to walk through the jungle paths to get around the grounds, and the staff was amazing! The beach was great - although you can't swim in the water because of the rocks.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Concierge B, Guest Relations Manager at Bel Air Collection Xpu Ha Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded 28 September 2017

Dear birdypie21, thanks for all the comments, the animals
they move to a better place, more biggets, for the reproduction, about the club beach its wonderful and provide you private baths, long chairs, and a bar.
Come back soon, have a good travel.

Reviewed 9 September 2017

I was highly disappointed in your liquor selection. No Hennessey, Remi Martin, crown royal, patron. I wasn't too sure of the other drinks do to the liquor situation in Cancun. Besides that , a good experience I did have. Thank you

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Concierge B, Guest Relations Manager at Bel Air Collection Xpu Ha Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2017

Dear T128LLdennisr:

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and leave a review. We apologize for any inconvenience you experienced during your stay. Your feedback is important to us and has been shared with the correspondent department. We hope to have the opportunity to deliver an improved experience on your next Bel Air Riviera Maya stay.

Kind Regards.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Xpu-Ha
1.3 km away
33 km away
BlueBay Grand Esmeralda
BlueBay Grand Esmeralda
#101 of 216 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Bel Air Collection Xpu Ha Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!