We had a Groupon to travel here. Before the hotel would give me a confirmation, they requested a copy of the Groupon, which we sent. They were very easy to work with. When we arrived the lobby was stunning. Then we had a bellhop transport us to our room - he never showed us where anything was. So when we dropped all of our stuff in our room we headed out.
Not knowing where to go - we of course went the wrong way and ended up in the hurrican damaged part of the old resort - the Xpu Ha Palace, We were freaking out as it was in ruins, walked to the beach area which was also in ruins. So we turned around and walked some more (be prepared to walk a lot or call for them to come get you). We finally found where we were supposed to be - again beautiful.
The staff here was wonderful, the food good (nice it's not buffet), service great, rooms comfortable (two person whirlpool tubs!). The wildlife fun. No night life, which didn't really bother us, but the pool closes at 7pm and the only things left to do are: lobby bar (they play movies, shoot pool), restaurant or your room. It would have been really nice to see the pool and bar area open with music, etc.
The real challenge was regarding the reservation. We did two Groupons back to back (they were given the pre-paid confirmation at check-in for the entire stay) after day 3, they locked us out of our room my husband went up and they re-activated our key and told him we had to pay for the one spa treatment I had (massage - fabulous), he came back to the room and told me this. We went to dinner and then went to go back to the room to get cash to pay for the treatment - Yep! locked out again. We had a total of 3 times we were locked out.
Then when we checked out at the end, they asked for the Groupon. I didn't have it with, since I already sent it to them. They asked me to log in and retrieve it from their computer (I have complicated passwords and don't remember most of them). This continued over and over. They asked me to log into my computer (in the USA) and get the email; they asked this at least 3 or 4 times -- didn't understand that I couldn't turn the power on remotely. I explained repeatedly that I had emailed the Groupon way back when I made the reservation. I was told " they don't want to look for it "
They almost didn't let us leave. The front desk person told us that management was going to make HER pay for our bill if she didn't get the Groupon. I promised that I would email it as soon as I got back to the US. and I did. I copied reservations and reception, so someone would get it. I got a phone call asking for the Groupon the next day. I explained that I emailed the night before, but for whatever reason only reservations got it, not reception and for whatever reason they either didn't know how or wouldn't forward the email to the appropriate place. I was still being told the front desk person was going to have to PAY. i had them send me a personal email address and re-sent it yet again. That worked.
Later someone from reception responded to one of the emails (I was a little testy) and was "unaware" that I was having any problems..
A vacation that was meant to be a stress reliever after the death of my mother---- wasn't.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Bel Air Xpu-Ha is the newly open Resort of Bel Air Collection at Riviera Maya. Feel with your family the natural environment, the perfect place to rest and delight yourself. A unique place for a romance experience. Enjoy our facilities surrounded by natural beauty in an eco-paradise. A gourmet experience in each of our restaurants, from Mexican-Italian fusion cuisine to sushi & martini delightful Japanese style, all in a la carte menu selection. Premium brand drinks and appetizing snacks in our Bars at Lobby and pool area. A unique layout of a cozy and peaceful guestrooms in liberate getaway with all the luxury and comfort of a five stars resort, refurbished indoors with jacuzzi and branding amenities; a relaxed exterior and a spacious terrace with hammock. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), Expedia, Ebookers, Hotels.com, LoveHolidays, TripOnline SA and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Bel Air Collection Xpu Ha Riviera Maya reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bel Air Collection Xpu Ha Riviera Maya Hotel Xpuha
- Xpu Ha Palace Xpuha
- Bel Air Collection Xpu Ha Riviera Maya Mexico - Xpu-Ha