Hotel Zaci
US$115
US$106
  • Breakfast included
El Meson del Marques(Valladolid)
US$55
US$160
US$127
US$77
US$58
hotel colonial la aurora(Valladolid)(Great Value!)
US$45
US$43
US$42
US$41
Hotel Quinta Marciala(Valladolid)(Great Value!)
US$33
Hostel Candelaria(Valladolid)(Great Value!)
US$14
US$13
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsthe busolder hotelfloor gets wetshort walking distancerooms are basicshower curtainrooms facedecent sized poolfirst floorceiling fanair conditioningno elevatorcenote zaciideal locationtown squarenight's sleephotel room
Reviewed 25 October 2010

We stayed here only one night. Were in Vallodolid during hot rainy season so opted for an air-con room ($M490/night). It was way overpriced. While the courtyard and pool are gorgeous and the hotel looks lovely from the outside and is in great location, the beds and pillows were incredibly hard and the bathroom stank.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 August 2010

We traveled 2 hours on an ADO bus (74p each) from Tulum to Valladolid where we stayed 2 nights at Hotel Zaci, just around the corner from the bus station: 300p for a clean room with 2 double beds, tv (nice to have during the World Cup!), wood furniture, stencil decorations, and hot water (had to be really patient for the hot water but it arrived eventually). The towels and beddings were a little worn but they were clean so we weren't offended. The staff was helpful (Spanish only); we used the wifi in the entry area and enjoyed the nice pool. It’s just a few blocks from the lovely, shaded zocalo and the 1700’s cathedral and 4 or 5 blocks from a large grocery and the public market (opposite directions). The streets and sidewalks in Valladolid are new and the buildings freshly painted and colorful - a pretty town. We liked how lived in and tranquil it felt.

We ate 1 breakfast and 2 lunches in our room and dinner out both nights. The 1st night we loved Cafe Itali@ on the Candelaria park - great pasta (55p each) and ambiance. We would have eaten there again the 2nd night but it was closed (Monday) so we wound up at Las Campañas on the zocalo, decent food (~70p each, nearly every item on the menu had cheese as a main ingredient), nice live guitar music, and good people watching.

The day in between we headed 1st thing to Chichén Itzá (51p each) via a colectivo (25p each) which left from near the bus station just around the corner. We loved beating the heat and beating the crowds plus the venders inside the park were just setting up and were friendly rather than pushy (we'd heard rumors). Frankly, we weren’t terribly impressed with the ruins and part of that, as with Tulum, was our inability to connect with the ruins physically like we’ve enjoyed in other countries.

Back in Valladolid we caught a colectivo (25p) in front of Hotel Maria Guadalupe a block south of Hotel Zaci to Dzitnup where we swam in 2 cenotes, Dzitnup (sometimes referred to as Xkeken) which was packed - lots of swimmers and photo snappers enjoying the cool lighting and interesting cave formations. The 2nd one, Samula or Sakmu’ulja, was quieter and we loved the big old tree growing by the small ceiling opening with roots reaching down toward the water. Both were incredibly cool and refreshing, a nice escape from the heat (27p each for each cenote).

Our final morning we headed to Meson de Marques for coffee and juice (39p for both) - beautiful setting in the courtyard of an historic hotel on the zocalo. We’d arranged transportation north through Rodolfo of Rudy Tours (on 40th between 37th and 39th, 985.102.5262) - personable and knowledgeable; he and a driver picked us up right on time at our hotel ($100US). First stop was the ruins of Ek Balam (31p each) which we loved - the massive Acropolis is a huge temple 135’ high (more than 1/3rd again as high as El Castillo at Chichén Itzá) and offers not only incredible views but gorgeous angel sculptures and excellent birding - motmots, my favorites! There was a nice small ball court and lots of buildings to climb and explore.

We enjoyed our stay at Hotel Zaci and Valladolid which together made the perfect base for exploring the area. Happy trails!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank hopefulist
Reviewed 15 March 2010

it is so run down. It looked as though there was ongoing building work, but I didn't actually see anyone doing any building. There was no hot water (we were warned about this when we checked in though), the towels and sheets had seen better days, and while the room was cleaned daily, the walls and bathroom could do with a good scrub.

On the positive side, it was spacious, in a good location and the staff were helpful. Just don't expect it to be quite as good as the photos suggest.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank OhNoTan
Reviewed 21 February 2010

We followed our Moon Handbook advice to stay here. Upon 1st look it seemed OK. But when we pulled sheets back (p paid, unfortunately!) there was caca on sheets. Upon further examination, we found grease, juice & blood stains on pillowcases. Also caca on floor & extremely stained carpet. In bathroom the walls had smashed bug bodies on them. The towels skimpy & threadbare with unravelling edges. No blanket at all available on cold night. When we complained they did nothing, did not clean, did not change our room, did not even say sorry. they DID NOT CARE!
We couldn't wait to leave! Disgusting & infuriating!

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
5  Thank glennyfull
Reviewed 3 February 2010

On the whole, I found Zaci to be a good value.

While the rate initially seemed unbelievably low, I think the rate was more in line with what I got in return. I didn't know beforehand how many stars Zaci is supposed to be, but the three stars I saw on its letterhead in the guestroom are probably misleading. Some of the things I thought could use improvement:
- very weak water pressure in the shower unless you want to shower cold
- threadbare sheets and towels
- crumbling, discolored soap everyday
- pool water did not look clean enough to swim in
- poor sound barrier (noise from outside and sound of fans from other guestrooms. Maybe getting a room with air conditioner is the solution for this?)
- purified water service was not dependable (one whole day without).

Positives:
-clean, spacious guestroom & bathroom
-free wifi in the lobby which I sometimes was able to catch from my room

The biggest problem I had - which I suspect won't be applicable to most- was with one of the staff members. Two non-English-speaking women took shifts at the lobby, and one of them was rude and gave me a hard time with the language. I don't expect locals to speak English and know enough elementary Spanish to get by. In situations where a simple answer like "aqui" would have sufficed, she would launch into a fast, convoluted speech without any hand gesture or other clues that could aid my comprehension. If I didn't understand, she would laugh derisively and shrug her shoulders or simply clam up and stare. Other than that, she usually ignored me, i.e. would not acknowledge my hello when I was dropping off or picking up the key. At first I thought she was just having a bad day, but it only got worse. On my last day, I was told I couldn't leave my suitcase for a few hours, even though other had already left theirs. As far as I could tell, interactions between her and other guests, whether English or Spanish speaking, were normal, friendly, and sufficiently verbal, which made me feel worse. I even wondered if it could be race-related (being darker and obvious non-Mexican).

But for this, I would have liked to stay longer, having found Valladolid to be a nice, laid back town with good sightseeing and activity options in and nearby.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled solo