“Home made vacations !”
Review of Mayan Beach Garden

Mayan Beach Garden
Ranked #1 of 22 Mahahual B&B and Inns
Reviewed 28 August 2017 via mobile

Obviously, when we initially booked online, we had quite an idea of what to expect at Mayan Beach Garden, thanks to numerous online descriptions, photos and details. But the reality actually went beyond what we expected : we loved our experience there, it was even nicer than we had thought !
Looking for a quiet place to start our holiday on the Maya Riviera on our way to Belize, for somewhere authentic, close to nature - different from Tulum and south of Punta Alen which we already knew, we were looking for a good base to really rest, have the possibility to explore this wild area and easily and freely practice our favorite holiday activity which is snorkeling and Nature watching ...: that's how we picked up MBG.
Even though we booked through a booking website, we immediately got a direct contact by email with Marcia, the owner, who was nice and caring - about our time of arrival, giving road directions, asking about our special wishes, special diets and so forth.. we couldn't wait to get there !
As we indeed discovered, Marcia is deeply involved in the comfort and satisfaction of her guests which makes her place absolutely unique.
It is very nicely decorated all around thanks to her artistic talents, well kept and clean in outside areas as well as inside. The garden is beautifully displayed, while the rooms are wide and well equipped.
Placed right on a cute private beach, facing the lagoon with the reef right in front, the bungalow where we slept in enabled us to dream with the gracious sound of the waves.
Located in the very near area of the Sian Kaan Biosphere Reserve, MBG is a paradise for nature lovers such as its owner (We discovered that Marcia is a passionate about and involved in ecological projects in the area, including upcycling creations), in addition it is a very special relaxed friendly place :
The owners, Marcia in particular, know the area very well and gave us many tricks about getting around, not only on the ground but also in the sea and around the corals . She even drove us with her one day to a special place for snorkeling.
Thanks to the "system" of a big table where we could have dinner with the owners and other guests, we met friendly people.
(Had we wished to be at our own table, that would not have been any Pblm !). Concerning food, MBG serves a fresh & tasty family cuisine -and very good cocktails !
Soooo... Thank You Marcia for making our first week of holidays delightful ! We will remember your place, - so opposite to any big all-inclusive resorts - it is off
the road and dedicated to tailor-made vacations, friendly and natural : The Real (and affordable) Contemporary Luxury !

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Marcia B, Owner at Mayan Beach Garden, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2017

Your review made my day . . . no, my week! Thank you so much for mentioning our food and cocktails and the things you like about Mayan Beach Garden. I felt you were writing a travel article about us. I went snorkeling today in the spot you mentioned and despite some fierce winds, the visibility was great and we found lots of blue tang schools, sometimes up to 300 fish. I'm afraid my guests were exhausted, but it was exhilarating. Hope to see you soon and I found a new place lately, can't wait to share it with my guests.

Reviewed 10 August 2017

We spent 3 nights at Mayan Beach Gardens. It was and extremely pleasant stay.
The bungalow was very large and clean. Our front yard was the beach.
Our Host Marsha and Kim Bales couldn't have been more gracious.
The food was amazing. Be warned the portions are huge as well as delicious .
The staff treated us as if we were family. We Will Return.

Room Tip: up or down, breezy.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Marcia B, Owner at Mayan Beach Garden, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2017

It was such a pleasure to have you visit us. I'm delighted my staff made you feel at home. I agree, I'm pretty lucky. Thank you and hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 30 July 2017

On Sunday, July 16th, while staying in Mahajual We happened upon the Mayan Beach Garden by chance, as we were driving, sight seeing along the coast. We asked a neighbor (the only person around) down the road for directions to a place to have a drink. He referred us to MBG, where we had a great lunch and for once enjoyed a meal without flys or mosquitos in the screened in dinning room. We walked on the beach and enjoyed being the only ones in sight. The beach is beautiful and so peaceful. We loved the place so much that we came back for lunch and asked Marcia if she had rooms available. The place was full, but some would be available towards the end of the week. We changed our plans and booked the last two days of our stay here. We spent two days at Xcalac, one day at Bacalar and then came back the last two days at BMG. All meals at the restaurant were great, we also enjoyed the family style dinners and met all the other guests from different parts of the world. Marcia and Kim were great hosts, full of fun stories and great information about the area. Both my husband and I are Mexican, living in Los Angeles, and always stay at All Inclusive hotels, but wanted to visit the Costa Maya, so we decided to head over not knowing what to expect, but having seen great beach pictures on the internet. We were not disappointed. This whole area runs on solar power, but has great wifi access, Talk about living off the grid, but we were so comfortable, and all staff was hospitable and very courteous, we didn't miss aything. Now were missing our naps on the hammock and the sea breeze.... We looooved our stay here and cant wait to come back soon!!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Uxmal Room on the 2nd floor, you have the best view and excellent sea breeze.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Marcia B, Owner at Mayan Beach Garden, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2017

Hi Rosalva S.

We are so happy you found us. We loooooved both of you too, and hope to see you again! What a delight it is when people show up unexpected, not knowing what we have to offer and they like it! Thank you for letting us know the things you enjoyed. And Martin says "Hi!". I think he might have missed you when you came back.

Reviewed 29 July 2017

We looked for a hotel to relax far from the classic all-included hotels for Cancun or Playa del Cármen. We rented a car for Chetumal (2hr15 ride aprox.), where you can stop at various nice places like Bcalar, Chacchoben ruins, Cenote Azul...
Our stay was very nice, Marcia's hospitality and attentions with every detail made us feel even more confortable and happy to be there, she is very caring for every guest.
We really enjoyed dinner with Kim and the other guests, the food, the conversation, the sound of the sea (be sure to take a good insect repelent).
It is not a long ride to get to Mahahual or Bacalar (30min to 1hour) if you are used to that kind of journeys, very common in a city, we really enjoyed the rides through the beach or through the jungle (try not to drive at night as there isn't enought light).
At the hotel you can spend really relaxing days snorkling, relaxing in the hamaca far from civilization. The beach is a little dirty, not exactly infront of the hotel but walking up or down, and that is because the garbage that is thrown is the sea normally in very crowded vacationing places must land somewhere, and this beach is one of them, it also makes us more aware of the reality when there aren't people cleaning the beach before we wake up. We surely got back home energized, happy, and hoping to be back soon!! The price is also fair!

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family

Hi Tiff W

Thank you for your lovely review and also for mentioning the many things to do in the area. We are so fortunate to live so close to the Sian Ka'an Biosphere with protected wetlands in the rear and the Caribbean in front of us. I also want to thank you for mentioning the need for insect repellant during the summer months. During other times of the year, we don't have much of a problem. Luckily, insect repellant takes care of these. We do fumigate when needed, but it is a mild spray for mosquitos that doesn't kill bees and therefore, doesn't kill the Tabanos (biting flies). We use natural traps for those. The wind has picked up today, but you were here at a time when we had no wind. We do carry insect repellant for those who forget, but we recommend bringing some. When the wind blows from the sea, we are usually bug free, but without it, repellant is needed. Better to be prepared. It also lets you travel into the Sian Ka'an Biosphere and other naturally protected areas where there is undergrowth and more insects.

Reviewed 10 July 2017

Our stay at Mayan Beach Garden exceeded all that I thought it would be. The room was very comfortable and clean. With a constant ocean breeze blowing through it. Every freshly prepared meal was phenomenal! Fresh lime juice for the delicious margaritas and coconut & pineapple juice for the pina coladas. Everything we tasted was a delight to the palate. I found the family style meals very enjoyable. Listening to Kim's stories and guests' adventures from the day.
Our intention behind choosing MBG was for the sea beaning. It certainly did not disappoint. Very exciting to find so many sea beans. Even the elusive Mary's bean. The trash that is covering the beautiful white sand beaches is quite upsetting. I kept thinking that this is just one beach on our planet, made me sad for our earth.
Marcia took me snorkeling one late afternoon. I felt as if I were in a fish tank, with all the beautiful colors and sea fans swaying with the currents. The squid that stared us down and the absolutely huge tarpon that swam within feet of us. Marcia thought it to be about 300 lbs! Great time!
Oh and the night sky is as dark as you will ever experience. You can actually see the milky way.
I have to say that I will probably not rent a car again as it was very expensive to rent with premium insurance. The gas was also very high. I did get pulled over by the Policia. It was dark, being 5:00 a.m. The officers could not speak English. I don't even know why they stopped me. With much resistance to paying him on the spot for a "ticket" (due to Marcia's advice the very morning we departed) he finally gave me back my license and let us go. Thankfully we left early for the airport.
All in all we had a very enjoyable adventure and would do it again.
Thank you Marcia & Kim Bales and your fantastic staff. Wishing you all the very best.
Hope to see you again in the future.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled with friends
Marcia B, Owner at Mayan Beach Garden, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2017

Thank you so much for writing such a lovely review. I loved snorkeling with you and we really did have a great snorkel. Regarding your touch with the "law", I'm happy you didn't give in to extortion, but I never believed it would happen to you!. I forgot to warn you that they will continue to argue! We look forward to seeing you again and good luck in your new venture!