“As good as it gets”
Review of Mayan Beach Garden

Mayan Beach Garden
Ranked #1 of 22 Mahahual B&B and Inns
Reviewed 19 October 2012

I have 30 years snorkling in Mexico. My wife and I prefer the somewhat secluded places but with all the comforts of home. We like good food. We like to walk the beach. You put all that together and the Mayan Beach Garden is as good as it gets.

Room Tip: 5 rooms on the beach. two upstaires if you value the view more. 2 with AC if you prefer. The beach b...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank King F
Marcia B, Owner at Mayan Beach Garden, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2012

I loved viewing your wonderful pictures. They are so joyful. I can't think of a better description of them. I loved getting to know your new daughter and hope you will continue to bring her here so we can watch her grow up and explore the Caribbean. Still calm water here - but the wind has switched to come from the north so its cooling down. The snorkeling is great. Can't wait to snorkel with you again - my ear has cleared up, so I'm back at it again!

Reviewed 16 October 2012

What an awesome place to stay. We had 4 adults and 2 children (7 & 5) We all had a great time. We enjoyed the solitude of the beach and would much rather stay here verses the busy hotel we spent 1 night at in Cancun. MB Garden is so personal in everyway from our host's Kim and Marcia to the staff. they have cleaning and cooking to be sure everything is just right for the guests. We have no complaints...LOVED every minute of it and so did the kids. We hope to return soon.

Room Tip: Our room was right on the beach and we loved it. We laid in the Hammocks on the porch and had awesom...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Marcia B, Owner at Mayan Beach Garden, responded to this reviewResponded 19 October 2012

What a pleasure it was to have you here visiting with us - really. And what well behaved children - we felt blessed to have them around. I enjoyed guiding you to Boogie Board beach and watching everyone Boogie Board and beach-combing for flip-flops. Next time we will have to snorkel to the shipwreck. Thanks again for taking the time to visit us. I hope we do see you back again soon. We would love it.

Reviewed 15 October 2012

My wife and I stayed with Kim and Marcia for an incredibly short week in September. This was our third visit to stay with our Uvero "family" in the last four years. That is what Kim and Marcia as well as their long time staff become. They are a pleasure to be with, from the time you start booking your trip to waving goodbye as you drive away. What's being written about this beautiful place is true. It is off the beaten path but easy and fun to get to. Part of the experience, for us anyway, is the drive there from Cancun. Stopping in the small towns and villages, experiencing the Mexican culture and way of life, are all part of the deal with us. My wife works in a fast paced, high stress career. For her laying in one of the hammocks reading and napping, on the front porch of our own private cabana, for the entire seven days is her idea of vacation. I too enjoy that part but I also am an explorer at heart. I love going to where the locals go. Where they live. Where they shop and eat. The sandy beach roads with no other people or cars for hours. The Wonderful thing about MBG is it provides both of these. If you are going to Mexico for late nights in clubs and people everywhere, this is not the place for you. The only bright lights at night are the stars. And as far as people everywhere, good luck finding that here. We have rarely seen another soul on the beaches.
We are from Louisiana so we are surrounded by wonderful food but we both rave about the food at MBG. In fact we talk about it for the weeks before and after our visits. I highly recommend the meal plan. From the breakfasts on the patio each morning to the amazing "family" style meals at night, the creations by Marcia and her staff are part of our attraction to MBG. In fact when we come home we talk to friends about the food down there as much as anything else. My wife even said "I wish I would have taken a picture of that".
On our most recent visit we snorkeled just about every day, right off of MBG's beach, tried out the sea kayaks and stand up paddle boards (my wife was like a pro, me not so much) and spent a lot of time laying in our hammocks. We drove a sandy beach road north to the Lobster village and another day we drove south on the beach road to the fishing village of Xcalak. One day I drove to the big city of Chetumal and walked the traditional Mexican markets and streets while my wife remained behind to relax.
If you are looking for a place in paradise where every second of your vacation is not "planned out" and you can truly relax and unwind, this is it.

Room Tip: Warmer months are only times we have been. Ceiling fans and Caribbean breezes are wonderful.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple

As always, we loved having your visit and look forward to each one. Your conversations at the dinner table are a delight. Thank you so much for such a fabulous review and also for driving out of your way to visit us here in our slice of Paradise. See you next year!

Reviewed 26 July 2012

My family of three recently travelled to Mayan Beach Garden after reading the Trip Advisor recommendations and are we glad we did! We spent four nights, which was just right to relax, enjoy the beach, food and solitude and do the local stuff. I was a bit apprehensive that this hotel/area was the perfect one for me, but was a compromise for the other members of my family : my air conditioner-needing partner and pool-needing 6 year old, but they both loved it as much as I did. We definitely plan to return!

Room Tip: Splurge for the beachfront rooms, you'll be glad you did. (Although even the other rooms are cr...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Nicholia
Marcia B, Owner at Mayan Beach Garden, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2012

Thank you for visiting Mayan Beach Garden. It was a pleasure to meet you and to hear you tell about you new experiences snorkeling. It is fun to vicariously enjoy the newness of the experience with you all. We do hope to see you again and as always, please let us know how we can make your experience better next time.

Reviewed 9 July 2012

My husband and I stayed here for several weeks in May and I cannot begin to express what a wonderful time we had. It was truly a unique experience and we wouldn't trade it for anything. Sleeping in beautiful, comfortable and yet somewhat rustic rooms right on the beach...surrounded by the sounds of nature and the ocean, we felt as if we were truly off the beaten path. I had never really stayed at an "off the grid" hotel and was not quite sure what to expect. I was amazed at how truly comfy and easy it turned out to be. We always had a wonderful breeze from the ocean and/or the overhead fan. I had truly been worried about not having A/C but I can honestly say that I did not need it or miss it once. Mayan Beach Garden is located on a remote stretch of beach front road, yet in reality is only 15 minutes from the quaint fishing village of Mahahual (with its cute shops and a selection of interesting restaurants). With the mangrove in back and the Carribbean ocean in front, MBG is a perfect blend of jungle and beach. The atmosphere is welcoming, relaxed and friendly -- decorated with some incredibly beautiful artwork by one of the owners. Its an excellent spot to use as a home base for day trips. Many guests spent their time diving, snorkeling, fishing, bird watching and visiting the Mayan ruins. We chose to spend the majority of our time lounging in our hammocks and soaking in the gorgeous views of the Carribean and sipping mango margaritas! On the Costa Maya we discovered that the beach changes vastly from spot to spot. The beach in front of MBG is clean and the water was fairly calm and tranquil most of the time. The turtle grass grows far enough away from the beach that there is a very nice area with a sandy bottom for swimming. A few days there were some larger waves and occasionally a lot of seaweed washed up. But, the staff always had it cleaned up promptly. Still, this is not Cancun.... the beach is more...raw and real here...teeming with coral and ocean life. Just what we were looking for! There was not another soul on the beach as far as we could see! Just up the way, about a ten minute walk from MBG, the owner directed us to a truly world class snorkeling spot. All we had to do was swim out a few feet to see an abundance of fish and other ocean life. One woman saw a Manatee while we were there (she showed me pictures!) and several people reported seeing Sting Rays and Turtles. We went snorkeling in the Sian Kaan reserve at a real honest to goodness ship wreck. Mayan Beach Garden is place for adventurers and beach loungers a like. We loved the free kayaks and really want to try the paddle boards next time we visit. The staff is very helpful and welcoming...they always had a smile on their face and truly went out of their way to make sure we had everything we needed. The group dinners provided a wonderful opportunity to meet and talk to some interesting people from all over the world..but we also had the option of having a romantic private dinner on the roof. We were told they are going to be adding yoga and spa facilities in the near future and we are excited to come back and give those a try too! Thanks everyone at MBG. We can't wait to see you all again..hopefully very soon!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple

As I look out my window, I am imagining the two of you snorkeling the shipwreck and exploring the Sian Ka'an. Thanks for taking the time to tell everyone about it here on TripAdvisor. Some day, it won't be so lonely and wild and we will have lots of traffic here. I'm so happy you got to experience it as it is now. May others be so fortunate. Until next time!