See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 25 June 2015

My husband and I were very pleased with our vacation at Maya Palms. We were there the end of May through the first part of June. I was very nervous about the 4.5 hour drive through Mexico from Cancun to the resort (not a problem), and I don’t do well with heat and bugs. It was warm and humid but not unbearable and bug spray took care of the bugs.

The rooms were nice, clean, and spacious. Our room (bungalow 1) had 4 windows and a sliding screen door allowing a nice ocean breeze that kept the room comfortable and sleeping was not a problem. Although our room was one with an inverter, we never needed to use the fan that was provided.

As a non-diver (my husband is the diver) I enjoyed the many places that were available to relax and enjoy the view, with a variety of lounges, benches, rocking chairs, and hammocks. I also enjoyed my daily walks on the beach and the gardens. The beach does have a lot of sea grass because of the reef, but there were workers out there daily raking it up. The beautiful, well cared for gardens are nice and shady and I occasionally had one of the three resort dogs as a companion.

The meals are served family style with a set time and menu. I was pleasantly surprised by the food. I am a picky eater but I tried everything and found many new dishes to enjoy. I filled out my pre-trip meal form stating that I did not like fish, so the night fish was served I was served a delicious alternate meal which I was not expecting. Most everyone else seemed to enjoy the meals too, as there was talk of wishing they could get some of the recipes.

The divers from what I heard and saw pictures of, were able to see a large variety of fish, rays, turtles and eels along with all types of reef life. They were even able to spearfish some Lionfish which they took back and the kitchen turned into ceviche (at no extra charge).

If you are a “world traveler” and used to 5 star accommodations this is probably not the place for you. It is as they clearly state, an ECO resort in the jungle and off the grid. The water is R/O and tastes fine, the generators only run for a few hours at night so that is the only time for A/C and lights but we did not find this to be a problem. We were both amazed by what it must have taken to build this resort in the middle of the jungle, it is astonishing! The owners and their small staff were very friendly and always asking if we needed anything. We were very well taken care of.

We would definitely go back. It was everything we were hoping for and much, much more. Thanks Doug, Cathy, Ken, Buzz, and staff!

• Stayed: May 2015, travelled with friends
4  Thank Michelle C
Reviewed 17 June 2015 via mobile

I think this was the perfect example of a bait and switch the resort was very run down and the owners were very unresponsive to anything we needed or wanted we had a bungalow or I would call it a cement tent since there was only daylight and the few hours the generator was running that there was light available other then that we had two towels for four people. As for any other accommodations they were mostly locked or unavailable the pool had broken tiles everywhere and the beach smelled so bad that it was not safe or able to spend much time on, so the resort left little to do the diving was not very good we had rented some equipment that failed two days out of the four days the food was less then poor and they only offered coke fanta or alcohol to drink and if you needed ice that was an additional charge I have been to many Eco resorts but I feel that here it's just the excuse they use for bad management

Stayed: June 2015, travelled with friends
7  Thank mwfV
Reviewed 7 June 2015

I have traveled to many places in the world have never had an experience like Maya Palms. Our group flew into Cancun and drove for 4.5 hours to get to Maya Palms. After honking at the double secured gate we were let into the compound after 15 minutes at approx 10 pm. Most of the people in the group were hungry but we were told due to our late arrival they could not provide us any food. I recommend stopping along the way from Cancun to Maya Palms to grab some food. Another interesting thing about food is the form Maya Palms will send you prior to your arrival to understand your food and drink prefences. Don't waist your time filling out the form. Our group asked for lots of fruit but after getting only a couple small pieces at the meal times we asked if we could get more fruit. Doug told us fruit was very expensive at his remote resort. We picked up a large quantity of fruit in the town of Mahahual for 130 pesos. One person in our group was a vegetarian and gluten free. Every meal they put a plate of food that had meat in front of this person. And forget getting gluten free food. Ice was also another very expensive item. Dough ice machine broke down twice and Doug said he would pick up ice in town but never did. I brought back two large bags in Mahahual for 80 pesos. Maya Palms still charged me 14 pesos ($1.00) per glass of ice. We asked for a pen to fill out MP forms our first night but were told by Doug he had no pens they are too expensive. The last two days MP had no ice to serve with our drinks. Doug told our group our first night we were in for a special treat for our dives. The reef is pristine and nothing like it in the world. I dropped in for the first dive and visibility was 30 feet and never saw a fish or any thing close to a reef. The diving did get better but nothing like Doug stated. Be prepared to float on the surface when you come up. I floated for 30 minutes even though another diver in my group pointed me out to the captain. Two captains argued over who was picking us up.
For non-divers in the group the main building with the dinning and kitchen is locked up after meals. Our group was playing cards one time and asked to leave so the staff could get a break. After one morning dive I walked over to get a bottle of water only to be told by the staff that the building was locked. The generator only runs from approx 7 pm to 5 am in the morning. Only rooms 1 and 2 have a converter that runs a small fan and lights. The rest of the rooms go dark and the rooms gets hot real fast making sleeping harder after the generator goes down. Our group was willing to pay to have the generator run longer but Doug told us it was very expensive to run the generator. If you go into the pool to cool off wear booties as there are approx 50 pieces of missing tile on the pool floor leaving exposed tile edges that can cut your feet. Some of our rooms had bed bugs so be careful when you take your luggage home. I for one will never return to Maya Palms it was absolutely the most pathetic treatment I have ever received at a resort Eco or not.

Room Tip: Only room 1 and 2 has fans and lights when generator is not running
  • Stayed: May 2015, travelled with friends
10  Thank Brett P
Reviewed 21 February 2015

Maya Palms hasn't disappointed yet. Went back over New Years. It is so peaceful and relaxing. This is the first time I had been there without owners Doug and Cathy, nonetheless it was a first rate experience, again with the feeling of being part of the family. This time we had a very small group of six of us which made for incredible diving. We had the reef to ourselves, doing two boat dives daily. The reefs are in great condition, and we sighted turtles, rays, and numerous fish. The dive sites are a very short boat ride (5-10 mins), so you can come back to shore for surface intervals.

There is unlimited shore diving. I was also able to keep up my running and swimming fitness routine, both in the pool, and the golf, and running along the road in front of the property.

The food is amazing, and served family style. Once again, we hunted lion fish, and had them served fresh from the reef.

The town of Mahahual is 10 km up the street and is worth visiting. They have restaurants, and tourist oriented shopping.

I can't wait to return again. Maybe I'll see you there!

• Stayed: January 2015, travelled solo
3  Thank Charles B
Reviewed 25 November 2014

I have just recently returned from a dive trip to Maya Palms Dive Resort in Mahahual, Mexico. I was at this dive destination almost a decade ago and remember certain things. The one thing I do not remember is how pristine, untouched, beautiful, and full of life this reef actually is. The water temps were consistently 87-89 degrees the entire week!! I was able to on film, Turtles, Lobster, Eel, Ray's, Sharks, and yes.......a MANATEE!!!!!! Not to mention the abundant marine life of tropical fish. Doug and Kathy Goergens have turned this stretch of private beach into YOUR home. I was catered to at every moment by the supreme staff.

Let me start by describing the diving: (as if I haven't already got you hooked)
We started the dive day at leisure with our first morning dive, a short 5 minute personal boat ride by the way, with no one else even close to barging in on my dive spot!! 45 minutes, an hour, 90 minutes.....you air is how long you stay!!! clear, warm, pristine waters and groove and spur reef that has more life than an aquarium!!! Climb in the boat, short ride back to shore, the staff takes care of everything!! I only touched my tanks to wear them in the water!! A light snack of natural and tropical fruit juice, fresh fruits, and great conversations!! The resort is host to numerous natural plants that Doug and Kathy will show you, explain to you, and give you, the food and nutrients that preserved Mayan life to this day!! (what is better than that). Then the second dive. Yet another 5 minute boat ride to a different part of the reef, still crawling with sea life!!! Did I mention the lobsters and lion fish that we were able to harvest!!! (If I didn't, they are more delicious when you catch them yourselves)! And let me say this; This was every dive and I got in about 15 on this trip!

The resort itself is an eco friendly resort that produces its own power and water. By the way, You can drink the water straight from the faucet and it too was refreshing and delicious. The pool is amazing, the food was amazing by any standard. (Prepared by Mayan Chef and Doug and Kathy, and the staff). I have to say, I am one of the pickiest people and my gracious hosts prepared everything to my personal pallet. I give props especially to the chocolate pudding, rice pudding, and the ham and cheese tortillas, just some of my favorites. Everything you need is here.

I can not wait to come back home to this destination. If I do not make it on the Winter trip, I will on the next summer trip for sure. I can not compare this place to any other as it does not compete. The service, the diving, the atmosphere, the entire package is worth every penny and the memories cannot be forgotten. I would like to take one more moment of your valuable time and personally thank Kathy and Doug for being the gracious hosts they are and for making me feel like this was my vacation HOME, the staff for the excellent job that did and the services they provided for me, and finally my new friends and dive buddies that I was able to have the pleasure to dive with become part of a family that can hopefully meet next year for a reunion!!

Words just simply cannot describe how enjoyable this trip was, thank you again Maya Palms!!!

Room Tip: All of the rooms are excellent!!
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo