Just arrived back to the UK today , stayed at Grand Sirenis from 5th to 19th April . Having stayed in Iberostar resorts before we were a little concerned to read some of the reports before going . We were a group of 12 ranging from 10 -57 who had 2 years ago stayed in the Iberostar Toucan near Playa Del Carmen . We all enjoyed the resort , the rooms are large and well appointed , we had asked for a communicating room but were not given one as the resort was full over Easter , after a week one was offered but we could not face packing up then to move , we were told that the only communicating rooms are in blocks 1100s and 1200s we were in block 1300 . We liked the pools by the beach rather than the main pools which we felt were stark and souless , the beach bar snacks were poor , the coffee house was excellent as was the juice bar , The beach we liked as it was interesting with rocky areas offering great snorkelling with many fish , however the entertainment team told me that the biggest complaint received was that people did not like the beach , take water shoes to make life easy . We liked eating lunch best at the poole side restaurant which doubles in the evening as the steak house but it is a trek back from the beach .
Restaurants , Felt the main buffet was very large without much character , food was ok , we only ate in it 3 times as we managed to book the individual restaurants for our other nights , Steak house we found ok ( ate there 4 times ) , quality of steaks very hit and miss , one night they were superb another not so good , Japanese was good and entertaining , Cajun not very good and the Mediteranean was mixed and the Italian was truly awful , the pastas and pizzas terrible and the pannacotta sweets could have been used as sillican implants , However one person we met loved the Cajun . Overall very mixed , we would state that in comparison with the 5 Iberostar hotels we stayed in the Grand Sirenis is way behind in quality of food .
The architecture in our opinion was not great , but again some like it , we prefered the character of the thatched buildings with nicer gardens and vegetation of previous hotels . We did however enjoy our holiday and a number of aspects of the hotel were good , we like the location being near Akumel where we swam with turtles , free rental life jackets were supplied by the beach , visited Tulum and Coba ( both easy trips from the Sirenis ) , had trips to 2 very good senotes ' Two Eyes ' and the other one near Coba , Yal Ku lagoon near Akumel a great place to snorkel ( A smaller version of Xel Ha without the bells and whistles
but only 9 dollars rather than 75 dollars to get in ) . We arranged our own trips with a taxi driver based at the hotel called Lucio we told him the main things we wanted to do and added other places he knew off , had 3 graet days out ranging in price from 120 dollars - 180 dollars plus small entrance fees , those prices were for the whole of our party of 12 not each , one day we did an almost identical trip as a group of Americans who paid over $800 dollars for 8 and we paid less than $200 dollars for 12 !!!. If anyone is interested in contacting Lucio let me know as I have his tel number .
My older sons 18 & 20 enjoyed the disco , they went ever night .
The evening shows again were mixed , the circus show was very good , the others fun but a bit cheesy .
Staff keen to help and please but some a bit surly , a star is Rudy in the main lobby bar , he always had a smile on his face .
Overall we had a good holiday and enjoyed many aspects but would not in comparison with other resorts give the Sirenis a 5 star rating , but dont be put off you will have fun .
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa 5* is an astonishing complex, situated on the Mayan Riviera, just 20 miles from Playa del Carmen, and 1 hour from the airport at Cancun. Is in a class of its own due to its spectacular design. It brings to mind the ancient Mayan buildings; but at the same time, a moder, minimalist style which blends perfectly with the luxurious natural vegetation in the gardens. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, TravelUp, Travel Republic (UK) and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Hotel And Spa
- Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Hotel Akumal
- Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Akumal
- Grand Sirenis Mayan Beach
- Grand Sirenis Mexico
- Gran Sirenis
- Sirenis Riviera Maya
- Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa Mexico - Akumal