63 people are viewing this hotel
Lock in the lowest price from these sites
Hotels.com
15,867 results
All reviews don pablo hacienda section tequila restaurant a la carte restaurants snack bar gbp tulum fish main buffet tulum ruins main pool show table privilege club breakfast and lunch smaller pool tulum buffet crisps other resorts
Selected filters
Reviewed 24 May 2005

We were at the BPT from May 14-21st. We were also there December 2004, so it was only 5 months between vacations.

First off, the resort itself is awesome. The grounds are very well kept, and the employees of the BPT do an outstanding job at keeping it very immaculate.

We arrived on Saturday night at 6:30, and being return guests to the resort, some of the employees recognized us, so that was quite nice for us.

Rooms - The rooms are standard, nothing fancy but they do the job. Our air conditioning did not work very well at all, so my husband called the front desk and someone was there to try to repair it within about 15 minutes, he could not figure out what the problem was so he just left and we had very little air conditioning in our room.

Food - The Buffet has changed a bit since we were there last, but still was quite good. Our problem was we couldn't get any service. We would wait for a waiter and when no one would come by we would go to the bar and get our own drinks, this irritated the bartenders, but the waiters were not very accomadating at all. We didn't even get water at our table. I do have to say that the service at this resort has drastically gone downhill since December. I was quite shocked and upset about this, the BPT is my favorite resort but I was very disappointed.

Pools - the pools are still great, very relaxing, had no problems finding chairs, the only problem we did encounter was the bartender (Raul ) at the pool bar, he was very rude to quite a few people and after talking to other guest we were not the only ones that this was happening to.

Hacienda - I was shocked when we went the Hacienda for some shopping, the prices have almost doubled there since December..... I could not believe it.

All in all it was an okay trip, we will be trying a different resort next time, For people going to the BPT for the first time you will love it, the absolute beauty of the BPT is wonderful.

Enjoy your vacations!!!!!

8  Thank Bridgette - Wal... B
Reviewed 23 May 2005

My husband and I and another couple stayed at this resort on May 13th and stayed 7 nights, we booked through Apple which turned out to be disappointing. At the airport the shuttle was not there so we had to wait about 30 minutes for one to get there, while all the other tourists got rides right away.
We got villa 16 and our friends got villa 11. But once we seen our room and our friends room, there wasn't much difference. Neither one had an ocean view, our friends were just closer to the pool.
The next day we had to meet with our Apple representative to get more informed about the resort, which only turned out to be a sales catch. They try to get you to sign up to do the excursions through Apple and charge alot more than they should, which we found out later. We chose to go to Xel-ha the eco park. They charged $96 per person. Once we got to Xel-ha which is only about 5-10 minutes away, their tickets were only $56. I couldn't believe Apple overcharged that much. You'd be better off to get a taxi and go on your own.

We went on our own to Tulum and Playa de Carmen which we all enjoyed. The cab ride to Play was $25 each way and takes about 30 minutes. Tulum is just right down the road maybe 15 minutes.

At the restaurants the service was great in the evening but for morning and lunch it was very different. In the morning no one took our drink order ever!! They must want you to drink the juices but we like to drink coke so it was an effort to get that.

On Tuesday a couple of young punks tried to break into our room. We were on the 1st floor which makes it easy access to the balcony. Thankfully, we were in the room at the time. I seen someone kneeling down and opening the sliding glass door. I told my husband and he yelled at him and the guy took off running. They were guests at the hotel because they had a key around their neck and were white. I called the front desk and they said security would be right there. They never showed up!! We waited over an hour. We went to Apple and Public relations and nothing was ever done about it. The next day we come in from the beach and the maid had left the sliding glass door unlocked. We told public relations to tell the maid to lock the door and they got on the radio with the manager. The next day unlocked AGAIN!!

Overall we had a good time, I think because we are laid back people and tried to make the best of it. But we will not be back to the Bahia Principe. This was my 3rd time to the area and I love Mexico but I have never had this many complaints before. Next time we will stay closer to Playa de Carmen or Cancun.

6  Thank SonjaB10
Reviewed 22 May 2005

May 22, 2005 - My boyfriend and I just returned from a one week stay at this fabulous resort. I can't think of one thing to complain about. We only left the resort once to visit Playa Del Carmen for a few hours.

We went there to relax and that's exactly what we did. Several wonderful pools to enjoy, the ocean was wonderful, and the sun was hot! Coming from Michigan, where we're still running our furnaces, I found the 90 degree days and 75 degree nights to be just perfect! There are plenty of palapas (umbrellas) and the palm trees provide a lot of shade too. There was a constant breeze which helped alot.

We swam in the ocean every day and although I had read all the reviews about the rocks and the need for swim shoes, we never used ours. Yes there are some rocks, but you can maneuver around them or swim over them. Once you get beyond the man-made break wall, there is nothing but sand and salt water. Swim over the rocks and enjoy!

There are fun activities at the pools every day. You can participate, watch or just listen with your eyes closed while you soak up the sun. Any way you choose is fun.

The food was incredible everywhere we ate. All of the water at the resort is purified and is very good. We drank the water, and didn't worry about the ice in our drinks. It's perfectly safe.

We tipped our maid every day and our mini bar was always stocked and we had great towel art. We did use our safe and we were smart about not leaving any temptations. We tipped at the restaurants and buffet and tipped the people at the 24 hour snack bar at the end of our stay. Everyone is so friendly and very appreciative of the tips.

This is definitely a family resort. Lots of little ones. It didn't bother us, but if you're looking to get away from your own children for a week, you might not want to listen to someone else's baby crying.

We booked with Apple Vacations and the transfers were seamless and we didn't have to think about when to leave for the airport. They have an office on site and they can book excursions and arrange your transfers for you.

I would definitly recommend this resort to anyone looking for a carefree, relaxing vacation.

22  Thank TrailBlazer16020
Reviewed 21 May 2005

We just got back from the Bahia Principe Tulum. We stayed in the Club Hasienda section on the far side of the Tulum resort.

My girlfriend and I were both very pleased with the resort. The rooms were well designed and maintained as were all the facilities and grounds. The staff and service was generally very good. The attention to detail in the resort in our opinion was excellent. The largeness of the resort in this case really seemed to work for us. It offered great variety of bars, pools, beach front and restaurants yet did not ever seem crowded even though the complex can accommodate a large number of people (mind you this is probably not the busy time either). We enjoyed the quality and the variety of the food in the main reastaurant (Yukatan) and could have been happy with this restaurant as much as any of the a la carte restaurants. Of the a la cartes on the Tulum side only the Don Paublo stood out. This more due to the quality service and environment than the food itself. Although we enjoyed our food at the Don Pablo there some we talked to who did not - I would still recommend one go for the dining experience.

The resort is also close to Xel ha (a popular water park / snorkeling area) and to the Tulum ruins. Both can be easily gotten to from this resort by Taxi or by Colectivo (excuse my spelling).

Some who have written on this sight have said that they preferred rooms in certain sections of the complex. From the outside all rooms and buildings appeared to be of equal quality so I am thinking that recommendation suggestions were based on how close you wanted to be to most of the pools, restaurants and swimable areas of the beach. The Hacienda section is further away from all of these which did not bother us but may not be what others want.

Anyway I could go on and on about this place but will leave it at this. We don't see how anyone but the most fussy could possibly be disappointed.

Hints:
- This place seems suited to couples mostly. There were a number of families as well who seemed to enjoy themselves. If you are looking for a party atmosphere this is not the place although they do offer the usual nightly entertainment (and disco if you want to keep going past 12:30.)

- If you are looking for sophisticated and lengthy water sports then this is not the place for you. The windsurf equipment is beginner only - big boards and small sails. Snorkels and Hobie cats are in short supply and you have to go onto a waiting list to get them. (I suggest you bring your own snorkel and mask if you like snorkeling). The beach is not well suited to water sports as there are a number of rocks and a long stretch of rock only a little way off shore. One good thing was that a good portion of the reef off shore was accessible within the swimable area and offered some good fish viewing.

The things that were not perfect:
- The practice of reserving chairs by putting towels on them and not showing up for hours. I think there would be enough chairs for everyone if this practice were not allowed but unfortunately the club does not do enough to openly discourage this (although I have been told the club does not support this practice). Therefore a number of people on the beach end up walking by unused chairs in beautiful locations.
- Water sport equipment was too little and low quality
- Beach is unswimable in many locations. This can be nice for those who want a more secluded area to veg so I don't think this is all bad.
- Building 27 might be one to stay away from. I think this is closer to the sewage treatment area. We detected a slight sewage smell when the tram would drive by this area.
- Conquest Vacations was generally very good. But their bus to and from the airport was old. Also, I would have preferred getting to the airport later on our return and enjoying another hour and a half at the Snack Bar rather than in the Cancun airport.

Well, that is it. Enjoy your stay here. I don't think you can be disappointed.

23  Thank Calgary_Travellor
Reviewed 18 May 2005

My husband and I spent our honeymoon at the Bahia Principe Tulum. We loved it. After our first step into the lobby we knew we had picked the best. The reception staff and Apple representatives were very helpful. We arrived at the resort around 12:30 and check-in isn't until 3pm, but our room was ready by the time we ate some lunch and got back to the desk. We were in Villa 14 which was a great location! We were steps away from the quieter pool, bar, and 24-hour snack bar. We were very close to the beach and were on the Akumal side of the resort so the beach was wonderful. The further you go towards the Tulum side, the more rocky the beach. We had heard rumor that you had to be on the beach at the crack of dawn to get a good chair with an umbrella. We were out around 9 or 10 each morning and had no problems, but I'm sure there are busier weeks than when we were there. We did notice that some people "reserved" their chairs the night before by leaving rocks on them. We just laughed and picked another umbrella! We took the advice of other Trip Advisor reviews and took beach shoes with us which we used a lot. The sand when you first get into the water is very rocky, and we stubbed our toes a lot if we didn't wear the shoes. Once you got past the initial rocks, the sand was wonderful, and on calm water days you could see lots of fish swimming around you. Most days there were yellow flags by our part of the beach, meaning that it was okay to swim, but that you had to be careful. There are man-made breakers, so most days even small children were okay in the water. The last day that we were there there were green flags out and that was the day we saw lots of fish and people were out snorkeling. The grounds were very well kept, and even after a big thunderstorm, groundskeepers were out picking up the leaves that fell from the bushes! Everyone is always smiling and willing to offer a friendly greeting. The food was fairly good. To be honest, most days it was just too hot to eat. We ate at the buffet and snack bar quite often for convenience sake and the food was good. There is a different theme every night at the buffet, so you can eat something different every time you go. The breakfast buffet is pretty much the same every day and the french toast is wonderful! They always have fresh juices and the honeydew juice is something we still talk about, it was so good. For meals, finding a table either near the center of the room by the fountain, or by a window is the best bet, as a good breeze can make you at least comfortable. We had a hard time with the heat and humidity. I'm a fairly heat-tolerant person, but there were days when it was unbearable if you weren't in the water. We had dinner reservations at Don Pablo and La Gran Tortuga. The food and service was wonderful and I would recommend both. Don Pablo is air conditioned, but when we went at 5:30pm, it was hot and stuffy. We ended up leaving because it was so hot it was making us sick. There was no movement in the air, and it got very stuffy. I believe as the night goes on and the air conditioning has time to take effect that it would be nice, but at 5:30 pm it was not. La Gran Tortuga is not air conditioned, but close enough to the beach that there is a great breeze. We got a table right next to a window, and opened it wide. Temperature wise that made it comfortable, but then we got attacked by the first and only mosquitoes we saw all week! We took only one excursion, the Mayan Adventure snorkeling tour. It was great. We went to three different sites to snorkel. We saw great fish in the lagoon and ocean, an incredible underground cave, and a beautiful cenote. It was around 75USD per person, but worth every cent. We did some shopping for souveniers at the Hacienda Dona Isabel, which was only a few minute walk away, but it seemed like most of the shops had all the same things. Overall, aside from the hot dining conditions, we loved the Bahia and would gladly return for a repeat trip. I found these reviews to be so helpful that I decided to write my own. If anyone has any questions or would like to see some pictures, feel free to email me.

20  Thank BackPacker20603