“Disappointed with Overall Experience”

Grand Bahia Principe Tulum
Ranked #10 of 22 Hotels in Akumal
Reviewed 5 April 2005

Chaos during check-in. Service very SLOW. Beach is rocky. Food is average. Several people in our party got very ill and spent at least a full day in bed. Poor selection of beer (corona on tap - that's it) Hard to get chair at pool unless up very early. Rooms are pretty nice and clean. Certainly not worth the $$.

4  Thank glowingheart77
Write a ReviewReviews (12,870)

Reviewed 3 April 2005

The bahia was awesome...

we stayed march 25 - 1st

Try to get a room on the 2nd or 3rd floor if you can...as bugs can be a problem. But, the place was beautiful.

Recommendations- hints..

don pablo was awesome...great food
taquilla was good...nice selection
grand tourtouga (sp) was not that hot...

Please remember that the bahia was far from everything so expect it. The trip to chicken itza took 3 hours approx each way...kinda sucked but worth it. (it is extremely hot there approx 150 degrees in the summer)

Take the dolphin adventure at the isle mujeres. It was well worth it. The shark tank rocked as they actually have a great white and tiger shark to be with. You are snorkling with plexi in between the sharks and the ocean. Stingrays are also nice, but hard to see as the waves make it difficult. Both the sharks and stingrays were included free with admission.

The trip from the airport was about 1.5 hrs each way.

Customs was easy, but eat b4 the airport on the way home if possible as the cost for a bk whopper combo was $8 us each.

The bahia dancers and entertainment staff was great...very fun. Make sure to go to the hacienda at night at 10 and see the action. The room fridge was ok...only had chips and a small chocolate bar that were never restocked.

They provide plenty of water in the room, so that was never a problem.

You will never be disappointed with the bahia, as we visited the other hotels on trips to pickup others, and were not impressed.

17  Thank loungn14
Reviewed 2 April 2005

Very pleasant week at the resort. You needed to reserve a chair at the pool very early (around 7:00 AM) every day. Reserving a chair was placing a towel on it with the hopes that no one moved it. The beach at Tulum was very rocky. There were many children and the beach had nude bathers. I was disappointed that this was allowed. Food was good and plentiful but never changed much. Service in the restaurants were poor. Trying to get a glass of water or a cup of coffee often required a long wait. If you want a "large cup of coffee", bring your own mug. Their cups are very small and never filled. Don Pablo and the Grill were the best restaurants. Rooms were very clean. Overall, the week was relaxing.

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
toronto
Reviewed 1 April 2005

My 2 kids (6 and 8) and I went to this resort during march break last week. Overall we really enjoyed our experience. We have been to many top resorts over the carribbean(2 beaches, 5 sandals, couples, grand lido, almond beach, swepted away) so we have alot to compare to. We have avoided mexico in the past because we were scared of getting stomach problems with the water and food. During our stay, I don't know of anyone getting sick at this resort. We drank their drinks with ice and water. Everything is filtered. They do give you bottled water in the rooms to drink. If whats stopping you from going to this resort is the water, you don't have to worry.
Pros:
1. the pools were amazing. We actually spent half the time in tulum, and the other half of the time in the akumal side of the resort pools. I loved the akumal lagoon pools.
2. the grounds were amazing. super clean and beautiful.
3. The rooms were nothing special but very clean and comfortable. I requested a 3rd floor room over looking the ocean in the 10 building and I got it. I just emailed them the day before. The resort is huge especially when you add akumal to it. Our building was very cental to the main lobby, main dining lounge and akumal side.
4. Good snorkling around the akumal side. Feed bananas and corn flakes. Great place to bring kids.
5. The beach between akumal and tulum was the best. Not rocky at all. Powder sand. No sand flies.
6. I didn't even see a single mosquito. That was amazing.
Staff was very friendly. hola greetings everywhere.
7. my kids loved the wave jumping. You can go out pretty far in certain areas and the water be only up to your knees.

cons:
1. there really were not that many. We are a very easy going family that enjoys vacationing. When we travel we try not to let little things bother us. But if you want to nit pick.

1. The service in the dining room I thought was pretty good. The waiters were very busy but very pleasant. Sometimes when I went back for seconds, my original plate was still there. No big deal. I did get drinks quickly and was always asked. It was very nice at the entrance to the buffet they always had a nightly special drink that they would make for you. After dinner, they had a guy make special coffee with liquer with a flame. It was very cool and enjoyable to watch.

2. Many people compained that their bar fridge was no cold. Mine was always room temperature. There was chips, chocolate, water, pop and beer. Nice touch but would prefer cool drinks!

3. If you want to save a chair pool side, you have to before 7:30 at the latest! We moved around so much that we didn't have to save any chairs.

4. beware of bad sewage smell between building 7 and 8!!!!!

5. Most of the beach was rocky especially on the tulum side. The closer you got to akumal the better the beach. So as long as you don't mind walking, your okay. But be prepared for VERY rocky beaches. We just avoided them.

6. now the food. We ate at don pablo and thought it was okay. The kids liked the buffet so we cancelled our other 2 reservations. The food overall was good. Most of the food at the buffet I think I skipped. It didn't look that good. Now, they have fresh pizzas, fresh pasta bar that they fry up and always fresh meats that they grill. I always went for the fresh grilled pork chops, salmon, chicken, and beef. It was very tasty. Lots of fruit always. They have the best salsa ever. I actually ate salsa with every single meal. In the morning they always have fresh omlets. After awhile the buffet(3 meals a day) did get alittle boring. But plenty of things for everyone. You are not allow to go to the buffet on the ackumal side. They know because of the different wrist bands.

7. Bus ride was long, having to drop people off at other resorts both ways. (approx 2hours). It was okay since we left toronto at 6:30 am. The kids slept straight and were able to enjoy the day.

8. kids program was not that great for older kids. It really catered to the 4-6 year olds. My kids didn't want anything to do with them.

9. my only real concern. During the day, my a/c grill cover fell off the wall. when I looked in it, I saw alot of what I think is mold or mildew. Even on the grill I could see green spots. The room never smelled like mold and I couldn't see it anywhere in the rest of the room. The nights it was too hot to just have the fan going so we had to use the a/c.

Overall, I was glad that we went to this resort. It was recommended to me by many of my friends. I was pleasantly surprised with the resort overall. The price was right. It was one of our cheapest trips and we still had a good time. I think I would go back to the resort but may try the akumal side. They are supposed to have nicer newer rooms and hopefully moldless.

• Stayed: January 2005
41  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 31 March 2005

Firstly, I am a flight attendant and have visited Cancun and the Mayan Riviera at least 20 times. I'm also very flexible and accomodating (or else I wouldn't have been in the industry for 15+ years). I'm sitting here at the resort as I write this!

The resort is very pretty, and the problems I encountered were service oriented. The resort is HUGE and where you are lodged is a big difference on how you will perceive this resort. We paid extra to be in the Club area. This is the most distant point in all the resort, and all you get for the extra $$$ are some slippers and free internet (if you're willing to cart your computer to the club building). NOT WORTH IT - DO NOT SPEND YOUR $$$ on the Club section!

We checked in, and the fridge wasn't working. Never got that fixed. We asked to be moved to another room, and that took two days. When we moved, we reminded them we needed the roll-away for our 8 year old. when we returned that night at 9:30, no roll-away. My son had a friend who was visiting from another hotel, and the reception informed us they were all out of rollaways - even though we were club members, and had one earlier in the day. Reception proceeded to hang up on us.

We made reservations (necessary) at the ala carte restaurants immediatley upon arrival, and were unable to get any reservations at all for the 5 of us in any restaurant at all - they insisted on splitting us up, and then, we could only get in at 6 p.m. or 10 p.m. When we would show up for dinner, 6 tops would remain empty for the entire evening, even though they told us they were full.

Air conditioning didn't work in our new room. It was, however, fixed within 12 hours. The facility is not the cleanest I've been to, and the food was less than average. This is not a five star hotel b any means.

The "lower" staff (maids, ground staff, etc.,) are delightful and very helpful. This place needs an overhaul of middle management. The way were treated was very poor, and we will not be back. It's also very far from Cancun airport - about 2 hours by bus.

13  Thank A TripAdvisor Member