“Great Value - Large Resort”

Grand Bahia Principe Tulum
Ranked #10 of 23 Hotels in Akumal
Reviewed 27 September 2012

I consider myself to be the average income middle aged solo traveller. I have been to Mexico over a dozen times. I did enjoy the Gran Bahia Principe properties very much. Nothing negative to say, or nothing worth stopping anyone from going to this resort. My comments are based on my personal preferences alone and what I like.

Of the three - Tulum, Akumal and Coba I would say that Tulum is probably the most vanilla of the three - makes sense as it is the oldest. It is still beautiful and you can't go wrong with booking here. I did find the beach and pool lay out at Akumal to more appealing. Cleaner clearer beach at Akumal. Both Akumal and Coba did leave me with the impression of being just a tad bit more upscale.

All the properties are huge. You have your choice of any of the a la cart restaurants at the three. They have golf club carts that will transport you from lobby to lobby. It is easy to get around - but you do need to adjust your time allowance for this when trying to meet your dinner reservation time.

Rooms are clean and perfectly fine. The plugs are a wierd size in the room. Normally two prongs electric plugs for your curling iron or battery recharge will work. However the cord to recharge my laptop was "three prong" - I had to recharge while using it while in the lobby. There is a mini-fridge, coffee maker, slippers and robe available in all the rooms. A/C worked fine and the bed was comfortable. Firm but with a mattress pad. Bathrooms maybe a bit on the small side if you're family size but they worked fine for me. Be aware that depending on the location of your room - you may have quite the distance to walk back and forth to the lobby, to the buffet or to the beach/pool. Take comfortable walking shoes.

Free wi-fi is offered in the lobbies and available in your room at an additional cost. Be advised that "hotmail" does NOT work at this resort. You can access it but cannot open any messages or send from it. I suggest you open a yahoo account when travelling here.

Hotel is about 1 1/2 hours from the airport. It is about 25 from Playa del Carmen. You can take the Collectivo into Playa del Carmen for about $3 one way. They do offer an shopping tour available thru your tour operator for $17 round trip. Pick up at hotel was at 4:20. You're dropped off at the south end of 5th Ave. and then picked up at 8:30 pm to return back to hotel. This tour was perfect, allowed you time to shop, it offered relatively inexpensive and safe transport in comparison to just taking a taxi - as a single girl travelling alone it fitted my budget very well.

The buffet was huge. Pretty much the same stuff every day but hey, when you go to a buffet in Canada isn't it pretty much always the same stuff ?! The only diff. is that you don't eat there seven days straight when back at home. LOL.. Am I right???? or am I right! Of all my trips to Mexico I would say this was one of the best buffets. A la carts were good - wouldn't say that anything really wowed me, but they were enjoyable.

Beach at Tulum. Nice, long, good for walks. Rocks though. Rocks are typical of the Mexican Gulf coast line but I found it a bit much here in spots. There is seaweed that they clean up every day. (didn't see seaweed at the Alkumal end)
Beach also had the natural incline down towards the shoreline. Had to dig out little rutts to level off the beach lounge chair otherwise I felt like I was sliding into the ocean. They were lots of lounge chairs available at both the beach and the pool (it is low season though)

As for other travellers - Just want to say that even though Mexico does not have any restrictions on where you can smoke.. smokers should be more considerate of those that don't. I must also mention that out of consideration it would be nice if people did not bath in cologne and or hair products prior to flying. Airplanes are small confined places - the smell lingers and can be very irritating to those who have allergies.

Will I go back? Probably not. As beautiful as the resort is - it is much too big for me. I perfer something a little cozier where you will occassionally see the other travellers again and perhaps strike up conversations and friendships. Very rarely did I converse with the same couple or family twice, I just never crossed paths with them again.

Hint - take your own drink cup or mug for refills at the pool/beach bar. (a little bit more sanitiary)

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
7  Thank GTAGirl1
Nickivanden, Manager at Grand Bahia Principe Tulum, responded to this reviewResponded 28 September 2012

Dear Tripadvisor Member:

Thank you very much for taking the time to write us such a detailed review about the Gran Bahia Principe Tulum hotel and for being considered with other possible travelers.

Your comments will certainly help us to keep focus on costumer satisfaction and fulfillment of our hotel standards.

It is a shame to read that probably you would not go back to our resort, we respect your decision, but sincerely we would like to have the pleasure to serve you again.

Please feel sure that we keep on working to improve our services with your suggestions and we trust, you will allow us another chance to restore all your confidence in Gran Bahia Principe Hotels and Resorts.

Kindest regards,
The management

Write a ReviewReviews (13,115)

Reviewed 27 September 2012

2nd visit in three years.
check in was fast efficient and helpful. was given a map of the complex, had room and facilities pointed out to us. I noticed our room was ground floor, which I wasn't keen on, and was immediately offered another room in a different block which was pointed out to me on the resort map. the original room allocation was in a better position so decided to stick with it. glad we did as it had a pool and sea view ( block 22 ). just one tip, I would advise that you put a strip of toilet paper under the door gap when you go out and come back at night if on the ground floor.
we missed once and got visited by a roach which was on it's back in the toilet ( which shows whatever fumigation measures they take work)
Bell Boy took us and bags very quickly to room, showed us around and how everything worked and asked if we had any questions. By far the best introduction to a hotel in 9 visits to Mexico.
I tipped the Bell Boy 100 pesos( about £5 ) as that was the lowest amount I had. He pointed out how much it was worth in dollars and asked if I wanted change, which I declined. ( impressive ).
The room was spacious, spotlessly clean but had a couple of lights down which made it a bit dark. there is a faults form in resort advice book on which you highlight equipment faults and hang on your outside door handle, we did this the following day and were pleased to see things were put right when we returned to our room. a day later we had a standard lamp delivered also.

The food in the buffets was not as good as I remembered from our last visit but we visited more a la carts this time so may have missed the best buffets. there was still a wide selection, fresh pasta, pizza, burgers,Mexican, salads, meats n cheeses, fish and fresh grilled meats ( chicken, pork, beef) and sushi bar. the soups were good with the fantastic focacia bread. the grilled meats didn't seem as good quality as the previous visit but as I say could have missed the good nights.
the a la carts were all fantastic with the best steak I ever had anywhere at the Mediteraneo.

the drinks were plentiful and the cocktails diverse although some didn't have much alcohol in them, there are tequila tables with different flavourings and whiskey rum , brandy and liqueurs
in most bars so, hey, add your own.
had trouble getting served at the bar in the Tulum big music bar sometimes due to the bar staff favouring the americans who had already tipped big, ( note to Staff, English tip for good service, Americans tip first for preferential treatment, YOU ARE MISSING A LOT OF TIPS FROM ENGLISH ). I was tipping between £5 n £10 a day until barman ( Bruillio ) at the beach snack bar asked for my order then proceeded to serve the america/canadian behind me in the line. He then asked me again for my order which i told him to stick where the sun don't shine. ( I know I shouldn't have but hey, I'm on holiday, ha ha). my rate off tipping diminished considerably after that.
overall the staff were fantastic and helpful.

pools and facilities on site were ultra clean with everything working. Having worked in the pool industry for 35 years I was impressed with the pool testing which I observed was regular and from the correct depth and various pool points.

moving round the complex was easy on the trolleys and is a good way of experiencing all that is on offer.

we were unlucky with the weather the second week, torrential rain on two days and continuous rain for another two days.I'v seen it rain as hard before but never for as long. it was difficult to get around when raining that hard,as the resort is vast perhaps the hotel could think about having a stock of plastic ponchos (as used on wet rides at theme parks).
fantastic tornado display out to sea one day.

all in all a very enjoyable holiday in a very good resort.

Room Tip: block 22 overlooking sea and quiet pool lathough 5 min walk from buffet.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank mickbilly

Dear Tripadvisor Member:

The Gran Bahía Principe Tulum staff would like to thank you very much for staying with us for your second visit and for taking the time to write your impressions.

The comments and suggestions we receive from our repetitive guests are very important to maintain the quality and the good service.

We will check every point mentioned in your review to make any adjustments necessary in order to meet our values again.

Please write us a little message before your next visit and we will do all our best to accommodate your wishes.

Kind regards

Reviewed 26 September 2012

Well, just a quick review of our favorite place...our second home. this was our 32nd trip to this resort over the years and still enjoy the entire complex of four hotels, but especially the Tulum. The staff at the resort compare to no one we have ever encountered....all being the friendliest and most professional in every manner. The buffet and the a la cartes are usually top notch and we are always given the very best serivce. By far the best is the Don Pablo.

The tulum is the oldest of them all and they are constantly upgrading various areas. However, they should perhaps ensure the air conditioning is inspected more often and/or replaced as this is the one area that the guests depend on the most. The equipment in villa 5 is not up to par and I also hear other guests make similar comments.

But as I say, this is our favorite location for many reasons, mainly due to our long term friendships we have developed over the years.

GBP--Spain....please spend some $$$$ on the oldest and best part of the Mayan Resort..

Room Tip: the Tulum and the Akumal face the sea.....the Coba and the Sian Kaán do not....you make your choice!
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank CookyM-G

Dear Tripadvisor Member:

On behalf the Management and all the staff of the Gran Bahia Principe Tulum resort, we would like to send you our warmest appreciation for choosing to be guests in our resort for the last 32times!!

We realize that there is a myriad of other resorts for you to choose from and we are grateful because your choice is always to spend your vacation at our resort.

Please be assured that we have shared your feedback with the rest of the team, we all took your suggestions as a learning tool and will keep working to improve our services and make sure all our guest feel welcomed.

We sincerely hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you and your family back to our resort sometime in the near future for the 33rd trip.

Please do not hesitate to contact us for any assistance.

Kind regards

Reviewed 26 September 2012

We have stayed at lots of AI hotels all over and this was the best one we have ever stayed at! It took us less that half an hour to check in and get to our rooms, which were spacious, not the best room i have ever stayed in but beds were comfortable and mini bar stocked everyday. The grounds are lovely and everything is kept clean and tidy. The Pool areas can get a bit crowded and if you are later than 8.30am you wont get a sunbed as they are always reserved with towels but there are plenty at the beach and we found it cooler there as there was a nice sea breeze. The main buffet restuarant was lovely the food was plentiful and of a high quality and the service was fantastic the 1st week we were there but got a bit more slack as the hotel got busier, saul was brilliant never stopping for a minute always topping up our coffee in the mornings! We did have a complaint in the restuarant which was addressed and dealt with immediately, the lady from customer relations sent a bottle of champagne and a bowl of fruit to our room for the inconvinience caused which was nice. We hate flying but we loved it so much we are going back next year and would definately recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank bignose59

Dear Tripadvisor Member:

Thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback regarding your stay at Gran Bahia Principe Tulum Resort.

It is very nice to see that the situation you experienced was solved in a proper manner, getting your satisfaction.

Our goal is to work and improve every day to be the popular family resort that has been appreciated by thousand of guests and we appreciate every comment to make our services better.

We thank you for recomend our services to other future travelers and hope to see you back soon. Please inform us prior to arrival to accommodate your requests.

Kindest regards,
The Management

Reviewed 26 September 2012

Just returned after a good two weeks and on the whole the hotel was excellent with lovely gardens, spacious rooms and a hard working entertainment staff, The only downside is small but important points like as a five star resort I would expect a safe in my room as standard and not an optional extra, Also there are simply not enough bar staff at night, on occasion we were restricted to one half pint glass of beer in an hour period because we could simply not get served ( a problem not encountered by Mexican guests seemingly), and finally the damper for the whole holiday was when I was lying ill in my bed after a touch too much sun, my partner went at lunch time to the buffet restaurant to get me a sandwhich as I simply could not leave the room, upon taking one sandwich and walking to leave she was stopped by the young lady on the front desk of the resturant who started shouting it was "not possible" (despite once again Mexican guests doing this on frequent occasions), My partner tried to explain only to be demanded she give her room number so she could be reported to management (which was supplied and written down), I thought as an all inclusive guest I had paid for lunch no matter where I choose to eat it. This female however is the exception to the rule as every other member of staff was of the highest quality, just a pity this one example will ensure I will not return to this resort again.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Stephen F

Dear Stephen:

The comments and suggestions we receive from our guests are very important to maintain the quality and service in the Gran Bahia Principe Riviera Maya Resort

We are really concerned about the experience you described, normally when a guest decide to take food out of a restaurant the hostess at the exit asks for the room number, in order to be sent the food to you choose from the restaurant to your room, as we do not have a room service menu, we are very sorry for the missunderstanding, we will supervise any language barrier, that could exist, as you explain that other local travelers did not have the same situation.

Please be assured that we have addressed your letter to every manager in order to take measures as we always strive for excellence in service.

We will do our outmost and work to improve your next experience with us.

We look forward to your return visit!

Best Regards,