US$272
Grand Oasis Tulum(Akumal)
US$238
US$228
  • Breakfast included
Las Villas Akumal(Akumal)(Great Value!)
US$221
  • Breakfast included
US$419
US$330
Bookit.com
Grand Bahia Principe Coba(Akumal)(Great Value!)
US$226
  • Pool
Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal(Akumal)(Great Value!)
US$308
US$58
13,752 results
All reviewsdon pablohacienda sectiondiamond clubtequila restaurantsnack bara la carte restaurantsthomas cookfishgbp tulumbahia principe tulumtulum ruinsmain buffetdolphin poolbreakfast and lunchshow tablemain poolsmaller pool
Reviewed 27 September 2012

2nd visit in three years.
check in was fast efficient and helpful. was given a map of the complex, had room and facilities pointed out to us. I noticed our room was ground floor, which I wasn't keen on, and was immediately offered another room in a different block which was pointed out to me on the resort map. the original room allocation was in a better position so decided to stick with it. glad we did as it had a pool and sea view ( block 22 ). just one tip, I would advise that you put a strip of toilet paper under the door gap when you go out and come back at night if on the ground floor.
we missed once and got visited by a roach which was on it's back in the toilet ( which shows whatever fumigation measures they take work)
Bell Boy took us and bags very quickly to room, showed us around and how everything worked and asked if we had any questions. By far the best introduction to a hotel in 9 visits to Mexico.
I tipped the Bell Boy 100 pesos( about £5 ) as that was the lowest amount I had. He pointed out how much it was worth in dollars and asked if I wanted change, which I declined. ( impressive ).
The room was spacious, spotlessly clean but had a couple of lights down which made it a bit dark. there is a faults form in resort advice book on which you highlight equipment faults and hang on your outside door handle, we did this the following day and were pleased to see things were put right when we returned to our room. a day later we had a standard lamp delivered also.

The food in the buffets was not as good as I remembered from our last visit but we visited more a la carts this time so may have missed the best buffets. there was still a wide selection, fresh pasta, pizza, burgers,Mexican, salads, meats n cheeses, fish and fresh grilled meats ( chicken, pork, beef) and sushi bar. the soups were good with the fantastic focacia bread. the grilled meats didn't seem as good quality as the previous visit but as I say could have missed the good nights.
the a la carts were all fantastic with the best steak I ever had anywhere at the Mediteraneo.

the drinks were plentiful and the cocktails diverse although some didn't have much alcohol in them, there are tequila tables with different flavourings and whiskey rum , brandy and liqueurs
in most bars so, hey, add your own.
had trouble getting served at the bar in the Tulum big music bar sometimes due to the bar staff favouring the americans who had already tipped big, ( note to Staff, English tip for good service, Americans tip first for preferential treatment, YOU ARE MISSING A LOT OF TIPS FROM ENGLISH ). I was tipping between £5 n £10 a day until barman ( Bruillio ) at the beach snack bar asked for my order then proceeded to serve the america/canadian behind me in the line. He then asked me again for my order which i told him to stick where the sun don't shine. ( I know I shouldn't have but hey, I'm on holiday, ha ha). my rate off tipping diminished considerably after that.
overall the staff were fantastic and helpful.

pools and facilities on site were ultra clean with everything working. Having worked in the pool industry for 35 years I was impressed with the pool testing which I observed was regular and from the correct depth and various pool points.

moving round the complex was easy on the trolleys and is a good way of experiencing all that is on offer.

we were unlucky with the weather the second week, torrential rain on two days and continuous rain for another two days.I'v seen it rain as hard before but never for as long. it was difficult to get around when raining that hard,as the resort is vast perhaps the hotel could think about having a stock of plastic ponchos (as used on wet rides at theme parks).
fantastic tornado display out to sea one day.

all in all a very enjoyable holiday in a very good resort.

Room Tip: block 22 overlooking sea and quiet pool lathough 5 min walk from buffet.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank mickbilly
Nickivanden, Manager at Grand Bahia Principe Tulum, responded to this reviewResponded 28 September 2012

Dear Tripadvisor Member:

The Gran Bahía Principe Tulum staff would like to thank you very much for staying with us for your second visit and for taking the time to write your impressions.

The comments and suggestions we receive from our repetitive guests are very important to maintain the quality and the good service.

We will check every point mentioned in your review to make any adjustments necessary in order to meet our values again.

Please write us a little message before your next visit and we will do all our best to accommodate your wishes.

Reviewed 26 September 2012

Well, just a quick review of our favorite place...our second home. this was our 32nd trip to this resort over the years and still enjoy the entire complex of four hotels, but especially the Tulum. The staff at the resort compare to no one we have ever encountered....all being the friendliest and most professional in every manner. The buffet and the a la cartes are usually top notch and we are always given the very best serivce. By far the best is the Don Pablo.

The tulum is the oldest of them all and they are constantly upgrading various areas. However, they should perhaps ensure the air conditioning is inspected more often and/or replaced as this is the one area that the guests depend on the most. The equipment in villa 5 is not up to par and I also hear other guests make similar comments.

But as I say, this is our favorite location for many reasons, mainly due to our long term friendships we have developed over the years.

GBP--Spain....please spend some $$$$ on the oldest and best part of the Mayan Resort..

Room Tip: the Tulum and the Akumal face the sea.....the Coba and the Sian Kaán do not....you make your choice!
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank CookyM-G

Dear Tripadvisor Member:

On behalf the Management and all the staff of the Gran Bahia Principe Tulum resort, we would like to send you our warmest appreciation for choosing to be guests in our resort for the last 32times!!

We realize that there is a myriad of other resorts for you to choose from and we are grateful because your choice is always to spend your vacation at our resort.

Please be assured that we have shared your feedback with the rest of the team, we all took your suggestions as a learning tool and will keep working to improve our services and make sure all our guest feel welcomed.

We sincerely hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you and your family back to our resort sometime in the near future for the 33rd trip.

Please do not hesitate to contact us for any assistance.

Reviewed 26 September 2012

We have stayed at lots of AI hotels all over and this was the best one we have ever stayed at! It took us less that half an hour to check in and get to our rooms, which were spacious, not the best room i have ever stayed in but beds were comfortable and mini bar stocked everyday. The grounds are lovely and everything is kept clean and tidy. The Pool areas can get a bit crowded and if you are later than 8.30am you wont get a sunbed as they are always reserved with towels but there are plenty at the beach and we found it cooler there as there was a nice sea breeze. The main buffet restuarant was lovely the food was plentiful and of a high quality and the service was fantastic the 1st week we were there but got a bit more slack as the hotel got busier, saul was brilliant never stopping for a minute always topping up our coffee in the mornings! We did have a complaint in the restuarant which was addressed and dealt with immediately, the lady from customer relations sent a bottle of champagne and a bowl of fruit to our room for the inconvinience caused which was nice. We hate flying but we loved it so much we are going back next year and would definately recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank bignose59

Dear Tripadvisor Member:

Thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback regarding your stay at Gran Bahia Principe Tulum Resort.

It is very nice to see that the situation you experienced was solved in a proper manner, getting your satisfaction.

Our goal is to work and improve every day to be the popular family resort that has been appreciated by thousand of guests and we appreciate every comment to make our services better.

We thank you for recomend our services to other future travelers and hope to see you back soon. Please inform us prior to arrival to accommodate your requests.

Kindest regards,
The Management

Reviewed 26 September 2012

Just returned after a good two weeks and on the whole the hotel was excellent with lovely gardens, spacious rooms and a hard working entertainment staff, The only downside is small but important points like as a five star resort I would expect a safe in my room as standard and not an optional extra, Also there are simply not enough bar staff at night, on occasion we were restricted to one half pint glass of beer in an hour period because we could simply not get served ( a problem not encountered by Mexican guests seemingly), and finally the damper for the whole holiday was when I was lying ill in my bed after a touch too much sun, my partner went at lunch time to the buffet restaurant to get me a sandwhich as I simply could not leave the room, upon taking one sandwich and walking to leave she was stopped by the young lady on the front desk of the resturant who started shouting it was "not possible" (despite once again Mexican guests doing this on frequent occasions), My partner tried to explain only to be demanded she give her room number so she could be reported to management (which was supplied and written down), I thought as an all inclusive guest I had paid for lunch no matter where I choose to eat it. This female however is the exception to the rule as every other member of staff was of the highest quality, just a pity this one example will ensure I will not return to this resort again.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Stephen F

Dear Stephen:

The comments and suggestions we receive from our guests are very important to maintain the quality and service in the Gran Bahia Principe Riviera Maya Resort

We are really concerned about the experience you described, normally when a guest decide to take food out of a restaurant the hostess at the exit asks for the room number, in order to be sent the food to you choose from the restaurant to your room, as we do not have a room service menu, we are very sorry for the missunderstanding, we will supervise any language barrier, that could exist, as you explain that other local travelers did not have the same situation.

Please be assured that we have addressed your letter to every manager in order to take measures as we always strive for excellence in service.

We will do our outmost and work to improve your next experience with us.

We look forward to your return visit!

Best Regards,

Reviewed 25 September 2012

Hi all we travelled to the gran Bahia principe tulum from 10/09/2012 till 24/09/2012 as a party of eight to celebrate two birthdays and a surprise wedding,
Let me start by saying the service and help I was given to organise some surprises for our party was outstanding.
From check in till check out this resort cannot be faulted the management and al a carte staff (le gourmet,Mikado and la gran Tortuga) were fantastic with their help in surprising our friends on their special nights with cakes and gifts.
We as a group cannot praise this resort enough.
After reading some reviews about GBP on T.A cannot understand some of their complaints people put on here spoke to a woman on the plane coming home who complained that the open plan reception in her hotel had no doors ….really?
So thanks to all at the GBP tulum see you soon.

Room Tip: ask for block 35 in the tulum section close to the beach,pools and tequilla restaurant
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
6  Thank jonnyboy
Nickivanden, Manager at Grand Bahia Principe Tulum, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2012

Dear Jonnyboy:

It was a real pleasure for our staff having assisted you with all the details to celebrate such a special ocassion for you and your group, we thank you for chosing us for your vacation at Gran Bahia Principe Tulum.

It is for guests like you that our resort remains one of the most appreciated hotels in the Riviera Maya.