13,880 results
All reviewsdon pablohacienda sectiondiamond clubtequila restaurantsnack bara la carte restaurantsthomas cookfishgbp tulumbahia principe tulumtulum ruinsmain buffetdolphin poolshow tablebreakfast and lunchmain poolsmaller pool
Reviewed 3 October 2007

We have traveled a fair amount over the last few years and I must say the Gran Bahia Principe resort in Cancun is unbelievable.
When you have access to all three complexes for food ,bars,entertainment and activities how can one be bored.We found the staff in all three complexes to be very friendly . You can walk to all the areas or there are shuttles running every two minutes.. I am a picky eater and no problem whatsoever finding something to eat 24/7.. Entertainment was excellent. The roundhouse bar in the Tulum was always happening in the evenings. The Hacienda was very cool with lots of little shops on the resort itself.. We did the Coba Mayun tour.. Another real culture shock to see how these people live. Heres a hint.. If you go take gifts for the families. Even the little shampoos or soaps from the resorts.
Playa Del Carmen was a good excursion 5th ave is the place to shop .May want to give yourself three hours plus.. We were crammed for time with 2 hours. Overall a great trip.. We only went for one week this go around but are looking at 10days or two weeks next time..

Ron Soroka
Surrey B.C.
Canada

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
13  Thank Rsoroka
Reviewed 3 October 2007

Background: My wife and I have traveled extensively, and the past 10 years have "found" the All-Inclusives. Since we like to eat and drink alot on vacation, the AI's are a true value. We have stayed in Punta Canta, Puerto Vallerta, Cancun, and all over the Caribean.

Review. We have now been to the Bahia 3 times. Why ??? a. space, b. food, c. hospitality. We love the fact that the Bahia has tons of room. We can jog or leisurely walk for miles (3-4) without ever leaving the Bahia properties (including on the neighboring Akumal and the new one, the Coba (?) ) If we feel like a lively atmostphere, go to the main pool. It has a swim up bar, music, and the staff ALWAYS has events going on. If you want down time, go to the "Quite Pool" (actually called that). It still has a self serve bar and water volleyball net, but less "action". And you can always go to the beautiful beach.....we love the fact that there are ample beach lounge chairs WITH PADDING !!! You can always grab 2 beach lounge chairs, and have nobody within 50 feet. It is that spacious. Walking the beach to the Neighboring Bahia property is 20 minutes alone....wonderful solitude, but wonderful security knowing you are still on the grounds.

Food is, by far, the best we have experienced at any All Inclusive. No doubts. That alone is a big plus, because most AI's tend to be boring, no varity, with food simply being different shades of brown.

The ONLY drawback to the Bahia (can't have it all) is that it is a far distance into any town with substantial nightlife. Playa Del Carmen, for example, is a 35 minute taxi ride ($25 USD). That is a bit far. We did that twice on one trip, but the other trips just stayed on the grounds. There is nightlife on the grounds, but the entertainment is typical of AI.....local, cultural, and not unique from night to night.

The grounds are clean, and the people very helpful. PS----they'll serve House Booze, unless you ask. Just ask, and the bottle of Cuervo Gold , hidden below the bar, comes out, no questions asked.

Stayed: January 2007
16  Thank Cruisers
Reviewed 30 September 2007

Cancun: Gran Bahia Principe "Rivera Maya"
We have just returned from a week at the Gran Bahia Principe. The hotel over all is excellent, there are 4 hotels in the same complex, you can go any one to drink and eat, there have 7 pools around, all pools are clean and wonderful lay out.

Room: the maid clean your room daily, they fill up your drink, chips and chocolate bar daily. Don’t forget to tip your maid.

Restaurants are great, a lot food to eat and drink, fruit caving, Ice caving and decorate your dessert plate, you will see every day.
There have over 10 a la cart restaurants

Tip: exchange your money before you go, you will get much better rate at the hotel.
If you want to go to Playa Del Carmen, go to front gate of the hotel, you can take
Mini van , it will cost $2 US or $20 Peso each, it take about 30 min.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
8  Thank SimonOttawa
Reviewed 29 September 2007

secon trip , was there in 2005. 17 family and friends, bus ride from airport 1 hour and 15 min. air conditioned bus.. rooms clean and bright and great view. pool was wonderful. drinks great and food acceptable . service and staff are hard workers and bend over backwards to please you. some problems were ref not working properly, but everything was taken care of. 4 rooms ordered coffee pots for their rooms and receieved them promply. check in was fast. we had a 2 year old baby with us and she also had a good time and was happy to have so many fam. members with her.. they made her special drinks at breakfast with milk and bananas. all you had to do was ask and if it was something they could make they always accomadated you.. very resonabe prices. would go again.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled with family
8  Thank castle40
Reviewed 26 September 2007

Wow … what a vacation I had! – So sad to be home, wishing I was bach at the BGP in Mexico!!! I really used Trip Advisor before my vacation, when trying to figure out where to go. I followed it and actually put together a huge report on what people had to say so I could figure out if it would be the place my friend and I should check out. I went with my best friend, both of us 23 and looking for a place to go have some fun in the sun! If you’d like to check out the report I put together .. my friend and I found it really helpful! Shoot me a message and I would be happy to share my experiences.

Beach – The beach was gorgeous! We stuck around the Tulum beach, which was definitely rocky. A lot of people we had spoken to really didn’t expect it to be that rocky, I somewhat expected it as I had read the reviews people had written. I actually slipped on a rock and fell on my bum, which was not fun! There are also really big sand bags in front of the beach, which people seemed to enjoy. They kind of looked like really big rocks. A lot of people got up on them and tanned. I wore water shoes the next time I went to the beach, which really helped a lot. Once you get passed the rocky part you can find some spots where there aren’t any, or you could just walk toward the Coba / Akumal where the beach is clear and sandy.

Pools – There were so many pools! We stuck to the pool that was by the beach in Tulum as it was not too quiet but not too loud. They have volleyball nets in the pool as well as water polo and all kinds of water sports available if you’re into that sort of thing. The other “Pool” at Tulum was more toward the lobby and the gym. It was split into 3 sections. 1 section was very lazy and quiet.. most people in that pool just kind of tanned and floated around. The one below/beside it was the hip and happening pool. It had a pool bar where most of the young guys were hanging out drinking and playing water sports. They also had daily entertainment/shows/games at that pool and also had music playing until about 4 or 5pm. The 3rd pool was mostly where they teach you to scuba dive/snorkel. We didn’t go to that pool at all. We did take a tour of Coba and Akumal, their pools were nice too but not as nice/busy or big as the Tulum.. in my opinion.

Bars – There were SOOOO many bars!! One day we took a trolly to all the lobby bars.. “lobby bar hopping” if you will.. and had a blast! The only reason the drinks were considered watered down.. is because it is so hot that the ice cubes melt quick and make it seem a bit watered down. Every drink I had was awesome! Some great drinks we had were – Moheto’s, Mexican Hat/Sombrero, Miami Vice, The man at Don Pablo’s made us a special drink with coconut strawberry and some kind of butter liquor.. it was absolutely delicious.. kind of like a smoothie! We had your typical vodka soda’s, rum and coke… coconut rum shots.. they were all great! Blue lagoons were sour but good if you like sour drinks!

Rooms – Our room was a good size; we didn’t use the safe as we just locked up our things in our suitcases. Nothing was stolen or out of place. We didn’t have much water pressure in the shower but we let the front desk know and they fixed it for us. We thought our room to be hot right when we got there.. and we turned on the fan and thought the AC was on. At night we were really cold from the fan, and it was quiet.. we slept great! At the end of the week we realized that we didn’t even have our AC on as you have to flip it to on. Our rooms were fairly cold without the AC anyway.. so it didn’t matter! We had a lot of storage and space for our things.. and we tipped our maid a dollar a day. We also bought a couple of little things for them in Canada and left them with the dollar tip. Everyday our fridge was filled up with water chips and chocolate. Our rooms were always clean and every day we had wonderful little towel creations on our bed. All in all we have no complaints about our room.

Shows – We only saw a couple of the shows in the beginning of the week. The first one we saw was somewhat like a knock off of cirque du soleil – which was neat. The “Michael Jackson” show everyone keeps mentioning was entertaining. A little cheesy but the “Queen” and “Prince” part of the show were hilarious! Although cheesy the entertainment staff definitely puts their best foot forward in entertaining you. I can’t believe the hours they work! They are always smiling and dancing and so friendly.. I have no idea how they work the hrs they do and manage to dance and smile during their entire shift! I got tired just watching them move!

Entertainment – If you’re young and looking for the party.. it is at the Disco in the Hascienda! That is also where the dancers go to sing and dance outside, then they go into the disco and dance some more. When reading the reviews I was a little worried the resort would be a place for older people and families. We ended up meeting a lot of young people from all over the world and ended up with a group of about 20 people that we hung out with at night. We went to the Disco every night and had a lot of fun.

Food – The food was excellent! The buffet’s of course can get a bit redundant but the food was good and there was so much to choose from! The A La Carts were AMAZING! We ate at the Gran Tortourga (sp?) .. and had the Fillet Minion – I am pretty sure that was the best steak I have ever had! Don Pablo’s was also DELICIOUS! We also ate at the Mexican restaurant, which was pretty fabulous too. I heard from other people that the other restaurants were also extremely delicious! A lot of them commented on how good the Oriental was. I have visited other all inclusive’s and have always tried to stay away from the “snack bars” as they were always the worst. I decided to try them at this resort.. and the food was fabulous.. the hot dogs and hamburgers were really great! I didn’t get sick from the food, I had an upset tummy for a day or 2 but I am sure it was all the alcohol I had consumed!

Tours – We did not go on any tours as we were having way to much fun at the resort. I have heard a lot about them and apparently Xel-Ha and Chizen Itza (sp) Are by far the best. Quite frankly Mexico is beautiful.. full of monuments and historical sites. If that is your type of thing I would definitely go check them out. I wish we had a little more time to tour.. but perhaps that will be next year ;)

Weather – It is very hot! Don’t be afraid you wont be tanned if you use sunscreen – trust me.. USE IT! I have fair skin and usually burn beyond burn.. I used sunscreen every day about 3 or 4 times a day.. and have a really really nice dark tan.. the sun is very strong! The only time it was a little bit cool was when it rained for about 5 mins and broke the humidity. Don’t count on your hair looking good!

Resort – Is HUGE! They do have trams to take you around from your rooms to the lobby and the restaurants which have white tops on them and also have other trams that are red on top that take you between the different sections of the resort i.e. Coba, Akumal

I have stayed at the Gran Bahia Principe in Punta Cana and loved it! I think because I had such a great stay in the Dominican Republic, I decided to stick with the Gran Bahia in Mexico. I was not disappointed. In fact I think it would be very hard for me to sway away from the Gran Bahia as I just don’t see any other resort comparing to them. The people who work at these resorts are always so friendly, they work very long and very hard and manage to keep the resort looking immaculate at all times. I miss Mexico so much I might even try and swing a vacation in April to go back! I think what a lot of people who travel don’t realize is.. you are on a vacation in a different country. There are going to be little things that are different in another country, which you might not be used to. It’s all part of experiencing another culture. I never let little nitches like the AC not being too cold disrupt my vacation.. you did choose a hot destination for your vacation! There were people visiting from all over the world.. we met so many people and still keep in touch with them. I thin this vacation was one of the greatest vacations I have ever had.

I noticed of all the parts of the resort, Tulum was the biggest, the nicest and had the most people. The other parts are a lot quieter and not as exciting. When I do visit again.. which hopefully will be very soon, I think I would stick to the Tulum section.

Before visiting the resort.. I read what people had to say on Trip Advisor almost every day.. and put together a little report over the course of a few months of what people had to say.. little things to think about and know… If you would like me to send it to you, or have any questions about this spot.. send me an email and id be more then happy to chat with you about the Bahia Principe – Tulum.

I miss Mexico and I hope to visit the BGP again very soon!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled with friends