All reviewscavendish beachnorth rusticowon tnice spoteach cottageowners and staffget awaysandalscampgroundpeifencefirewoodofficeattractionssummerutensilscampers
Reviewed 27 July 2015 via mobile

We booked 2 nights in a cottage at White Sands as my in-laws had had good memories from previous family reunions they'd had there. When we arrived we noticed it was VERY tiny but thought it was no big deal, we could snuggle for 2 nights.

The fridge didn't work and when we called they said they would bring in a new one in the morning - which didn't help us that night. The beds were horrible and the whole cottage felt like it was at an angle... But the worst was yet to come.

In the morning I got up to turn on the light and felt something under my feet. When I looked down I noticed what looked like sawdust. I asked my husband to come and look as I knew there hadn't been anything there the night before. Together we traced up the wall and noticed a hole in the wall about the size of a nickel. At that moment an insect poked it's head out of the hole and I walked out. That was the last straw for me.

Even though the owner's vehicle was parked outside the office no one would answer our knocks at the door (it was before 9am). We tried calling their after hours emergency number but there was no answer. At 9am sharp they opened the door and my husband and mother in law went in to explain what we'd found and request to be moved or get a refund for our stay. The maintenance worker came to look and claimed it wasn't infested because he only saw one bug. We explained that with the amount of sawdust on the floor and the fact that it was inside the wall, we were not comfortable staying there. The owner proceeded to tell us we were being 'dramatic' and that we were in the woods and should expect bugs.

They refunded the night we were not staying but refused to do so for the previous night. If it had been a random and in the floor or spider or something of that nature, I could have dealt with it. But they s was an infestation and they have no interest in fixing it. Terrible cottage, terrible service.

Stayed: July 2015, travelled with family
2  Thank Julie A
Capeturner, Manager at White Sands Motorcourt, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2017

It is unfortunate to hear this lady. She was so honest and said that it was to expensive here and if we don't give her a full refund she will plaster the most terrible reviews on the Trip Advisor. She wasn't kidding.

We have abot four inspections total pre-season and through out season by qualified inspectors from Quality Tourism Services. Those people are trained bring professionalism and objectivity and represent Tourism PEI. Our reports are always favorable and White Sands Cottages are recommended to guests. Our two and a half star rating by Canada Select is always met and often exceeded. Free WIFI. Inground heated Pool and so on.
Regarding bugs we are located next to PEI National Park and it is obvious that there are bugs. If one opens doors and windows it is to be expected that bugs will find their way to food. To eliminate this we hired EXTERMINATORS to make sure there are non in the cottages or decks. Therefore I dare to say this review is false.

It's unfortunate that people abuse Trip Advisor social media portal to extort discounts or to scam small seasonal businesses already struggling in these difficult times.

Reviewed 14 July 2015

This was a bad experience all together. The staff was under a lot of stress and as a result were very unfriendly to the people supporting their business. There wasn't enough employees to handle it. Coming back from the festival at night I seen a woman at the gate, and the next morning I seen the same woman 8 hours later. Seen the same staff all weekend.
The sites were overbooked. The price was too much. The 6 of us booked early and paid $188 a person for a 30ftx30ft camp site for 3 nights (that's $1128 for 3 days). People that booked later had to pay even more for smaller sites (half the size) with no utilities. The showers were always freezing cold and the bathrooms were gross, (not that they could help it).
They also don't do refunds if you can't make it. Upon arrival they told us if we had glass bottles or were driving too fast around the camp site, we'd be kicked out. This was understandable as it was very dangerous, but when some of the staff came around in their golf carts they were going super fast, not stopping for people in the way at some points.
The promise of a shuttle service was absolute garbage. The Friday night of the concert they stopped picking people up at 12 even though there was still about 75 to 100 people STILL waiting for a bus to pick them up. We waited till about 45 minutes after the last bus had left when a taxi driver offered to pick us up, costing 73 dollars for a 5 minute drive. When we got to the gates and complained about how the shuttles were leaving people stranded, they argued with us saying they were running all night when it was obvious that it was not. People were actually fighting to get on the bus in fear of having to walk home. If you wanted to get a spot on the bus you had to leave the concert 30 minutes before it was over. Also, we had to walk 15 minutes to get to the spot to pick us up while other shuttle services were going right to the festival grounds. If there were staff at the pick up location getting people into a single file line up and letting them know if there was still people waiting for the shuttle would be a big improvement.
I realize that the staff was tired of dealing with drunk idiots, but for the people who were having a few drinks and being very respectful, it was unnecessary. They were overworked.
The staff also came around during check out time telling us that if we even had chip crumbs on the camp site that we were on we wouldn't get our $400 pre-authorized damage deposit back.

I do realize they are overwhelmed with all the festival goers, but the owner should accommodate for such, by either putting a cap on the amount of people/sites to book or by hiring on more staff. For the amount of money we were spending there, the service was just appalling. You couldn't complain about anything, they would just argue with you. Not a great way to run a business.

• Stayed: July 2015, travelled with friends
3  Thank AdriRJS

This review i'm sorry to say is false. The lady at the gate went to sleep and started the fallowing morning. We are asked by our staff to give them as many hours as they can have to earn more money. Concert is the time of the very short season that people can earn more so they do work longer hours. Our company's payroll increased three times since 2006. We pay well and honor our employees.
We believe in not sugar coating issues and rather tell it to people as it is. If you work hard and try doing your job well it will be for sure appreciated. However if you express don't care attitude you will be let go. And possibly will be posting reviews like this one.

Reviewed 1 October 2014

This is my second visit to p.e.i. and my second stay at the White Sands.
It has comfortable cabins, with all you need to make your stay comfortable.
The staff was very helpful, and had all the answers when we needed them.
You can't ask for anything more!!
I'll be back!

Stayed: September 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Patricia C
Reviewed 25 September 2014

A party of 4 of my family spent 4 days@ Whitesands PEI. We found the cabins comfortable & clean. Owners were very obliging. Atmosphere was quiet & restful. Location was close to quaint shops & restaurants. Was close to other attractions
Marvin and Donna
Kitamat, BC, Canada

• Stayed: September 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank marvin r
Reviewed 23 September 2014

to meet a wonderful group at a reunion. I was thrilled to find a friendly staff at White Sands. The cabin was clean and well-stocked with all we would need. I slept so well that night and every night. I would definitely recommend a stay here to anyone.

• Stayed: September 2014, travelled with friends