“Great Location” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Bayfield
ONTARIO
“Great Location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2008

My wife and I went to Hessenland for a brief two day vacation during the week. We loved it for what it was. We found the grounds absolutely beautiful, and although the inn was almost full, we felt like we had the entire place to ourselves. The pool was desserted both afternoons and so was the private beach area 5 minutes (walking) down the road. There are several secluded areas throughout the gardens where you can have a drink or a quiet conversation without interruptions.

The inn is situated between Grandbend and Bayfield which gives you the best of both worlds. We only had breakfast at the inn which was great. Fantastic french toast. The rooms are dated or antiquey as some would say, but provide ample room to move about. We opted for a terrace room (#4) because it provided us with a small sitting area and backdoor to the pool deck. It was worth the extra $20.00. Beyond the room decor, we were very pleased with the facilities, food, surroundings, and staff. Hessenland is great for a romantic getaway, and exceeded our expectations.

• Liked — The beautiful grounds and location.
  • Disliked — The room decor had character, but I prefer modern.
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Location
      Check-in / front desk
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank CANTRAVELS

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Burlington, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2007

For two evenings during the last weekend of July 2007 (July 27-July 29th) my husband and I (ages 40 & 37) had the opportunity to stay at the Hessenland Country Inn in St. Joseph, Ontario. St. Joseph is located approximately 10 minutes east of Grand Bend, Ontario and 10 minutes west of Bayfield, Ontario. It is German style country Inn located on an increcible beautiful piece of land with horses and barn located to the side and back of the property. The Inn played host to my cousin's large family wedding with a number of us staying at the inn, hosting the wedding at the little gazebo in the back of the property and the reception to the right of the gazebo in a lovely reception facility with outdoor bar and sitting area. It was absolutely perfect for a mid summer wedding ! If you are considering this location for a wedding, you have found the right place!!!

Check in to our room was seamless, just an imprint of the credit card and we were given our room key (number 3). They are simple rooms, not too big and not too small, with either two queen, one king or queen and pull out sofas for room choices. We had two queen and it was more than enough space for us to enjoy our stay. There is a tiny little bathroom in room number three but it had a good arrangement with the sink outside the bathroom proper to allow for one to shower and the other to get ready on the other side of the wall. There is a television in the Inn rooms but the channels are limited...I believe they are still on aerial because we got only 2 channels clearly. We weren't there to watch tv, so no biggie for us. The rooms seem a bit dated but I think they are more antiquey than dated. No musty odours, no issues with water pressure, all in all we were very pleased with the rooms. I understand that the other side of the inn from the one to the west is considered a B&B but never saw the rooms inside so not sure of their layout but my uncle reported that his room over there had no television set.

If you are going in the summer time, you will be able to enjoy not only the green grass, views of the horses and beautiful flowers that crop up throughout the property, but also a decent size below ground pool with several loungers for your enjoyment and a good amount of shade from the trees in front of the restaurant area. As well, there is an enclosed hot tub with screened in room so I'm sure you can enjoy that in the winter months. I spent all day Friday at the pool and hot tub awaiting the arrival of other wedding guests and it more than did the trick of cooling me down and relaxing body and soul for a few hours. Very relaxing.

There is a full service german style restaurant on site and it looked really lovely and had many guests on both the Friday and Saturday evening but we had the rehearsal party on Friday and reception on Saturday so no chance to try the menu items. I heard from others though that it is very good !

The wedding and reception went off without a hitch, my aunt was very impressed with the service received leading up to the day of the wedding along with the day of and I can honestly say that it was one of the most beautiful ceremonies in the back gazebo that I have ever attended. You can tell that the owners spend alot of time concentrating on the landscaping of this property.

I highly recommend this property for weddings, receptions, anniversary celebrations, romantic getaways and just time away from the day to day.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to contact me at kcponce at sympatico.ca.

Cheers,

Kelly

• Liked — The grounds, pool, layout of hotel
  • Disliked — Lack of channels for late night tv viewing
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled as a couple
      Location
      Check-in / front desk
      Rooms
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Cleanliness
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank Kelly P
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bayfield
33.7 km away
Dreamz Inn
#2 of 9 in Goderich
1.6 km away
Brentwood on the Beach

Been to Hessenland Country Inn? Share your experiences!