“A real gem in the rough”

Thai Tamarind Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 71 Restaurants in Ancaster
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We go by this way quite often on our way to Toronto, and stopped here on the recommendation of friends. Which is to say that we drove by it several times but was not particularly attracted to the location (next to an Esso station), or outward appearance. We're happy we did. It's very nice inside, and clean. The people who run it are polite and friendly. The service is efficient, and most importantly the food is excellent. Wholesome and home cooked. Not fancy, but very tasty and lots of it. The lunch specials are very reasonable as they come with soup and spring roll. From $12 to $14 range. And as mentioned, you'll probably be bringing some home as the portion is copious. The shrimp actually taste like shrimp.
We have been back a few times now and are considering it one of our favourite places to eat in the area. I look forward to eating there again.

Reviewed 19 October 2018

Down the street from the Ancaster Fair - saw the reviews here and decided to give it a try. Clean and welcoming - prices are competitive and the service and food was great! Will definitely be coming back. We order the Appetizer Assortment for 2, (spring roll, chicken fresh cold roll, chicken satay, wrapped shrimp, Toong Tong) and had the Pad Si-ew Chicken & Shrimp (flat rice noodle, Chinese broccoli, egg stir fired in special sweet soy sauce) generous portions and sooooooo yummy

Reviewed 2 October 2018

I was in the area for an event and happy to stumble upon this delightful restaurant! They offered a lunch special which consisted of soup, spring roll and a main dish...there were three of us and each had the Pad Thai. The portion was huge and we had some for takeaway. A family run restaurant, the server was very friendly and efficient.
It must have been recently renovated as it was fresh and stylishly decorated.
It is located just off the highway, so an easy find.

Reviewed 1 October 2018

I must have drive by this place a hundred times and never even considered going in. I figured it was just a gas station diner - but after reading some of the reviews here I decided that we really needed to check it out. The atmosphere inside is incredible! You have NO IDEA from looking at it from the outside.
But really a restaurant always comes down to the food. My wife ordered a vegetarian fried rice and really enjoyed it (so did our son eating ALL her leftovers the next day). I ordered the Pad Thai (pretty simple dish but I wasn't in the mood for something new) - I was a little disappointed with mine. It didn't have green onions or peanuts as a topping and it was literally dripping with sauce...WAY too much. We still did enjoy and will probably return.

Reviewed 27 August 2018 via mobile

Incredible authentic thai cuisine. Freshly prepared with fresh ingredients. The food was excellent however; not so much so as to offset the tiny portions and overly expensive meal.