“a true little gem”

Cuisines: British, Pub
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 28 June 2018

we don't dine out a whole lot but when we do, The Coach and Lantern is always on our short list of choices and of course our last visit did not disappoint. We prefer to sit on the cozy patio but since it was a somewhat rainy day so we had to sit inside but that did not dampen our experience. I could go on about what we had by why bother? everything here is awesome. Our young server was up on the history of the place and regaled us with stories of it being haunted. It was shortly after that I looked up at my hat on a hook and it was gently swaying back and forth on its own. There were no air vents or fans nearby and we were well away from the door. I think a ghost might have wanted to try it on. Pay attention when looking for this place as the entrance is a simple iron gate that is easy to miss, part of the charm. We love it and highly recommend it.

Reviewed 19 June 2018 via mobile

Our family had frequented The Coach and Lantern many times. We were usually able to get a table even when it was busy. The tables are very close together and it’s quite loud. The service was always mediocre. Our kids remembered the servers after going there regularly for a few years and would try talking to them but the servers would act like it was the first time they’d seen us. Very strange. Servers also seemed like they were rushing and weren’t very personable. The food was decent but there really isn’t anything amazing on the menu. Very standard pub food.

Overall, I’d say it’s nothing to rave about.

Reviewed 6 June 2018

Coach & Lantern is a quaint setting with comfortable tables and chairs. The hostess seemed busied and just had us seat ourselves. I ordered a Guinness (it was promoted on a sign outside as well as being a British pub), but it was not poured properly in a 2 stage pour. My girlfriend ordered a Belgium/Blue Moon and it was perfect. We ordered poutine (we were visiting Canada and had not had any yet); it was quite delicious! The fries were crisp, the curds were creamy, and the gravy was hot and flavorful.

For the main course, I ordered the fish and chips and she had the French Dip. My order was fine; basic bar food without anything special. Her beef was very dry, tough, and lacked much real flavor. Even when I submerged it in the au jous for about minute the beef did not give much taste.

Reviewed 6 May 2018

Stopped here for an early lunch, I had never been here before and it is clearly a very pub like pub. IT is dark and dingy with no windows.
I went with the Beef Stuffed Yorkie ($20.00) while my partner, the (almost) always a super healthy eater decided to go with the Feature – Buffalo Shrimp Poutine ($16.00)????????????
I found the beef to be a little chewy, but the gravy and the gargantuan Yorkshire pudding were both excellent. The Poutine ………the buffalo wing sauce totally overpowered the shrimp so you couldn’t taste them, the fries, cheese and gravy were all excellent but of such a large portion size my formerly healthy eating partner couldn’t finish them.

Reviewed 30 April 2018 via mobile

Dropped in while visiting Ancaster. This is a traditional British pub. Food was good and the service was very friendly. It has a nice atmosphere.