“Don't go”

Cape Breton Smokehouse Restaurant
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 10 August 2015 via mobile

This was the oddest experience. It's in the middle of nowhere (granted most places are here). No one was there. The place was beautiful inside but totally silent - no music, nothing. Only one staffer was seen who was the nicest lady in the world, but didn't speak English and was a bit awkward. The menu looked great but after ordering we could hear the "beep beep" of microwaves being set in the kitchen. 6 microwaves set for our 3 dishes. Scallops, smoked meat and sausages. The sides were dismal if present at all. The smoked salmon was tasty but it was all just overpriced. Go somewhere else. There's lots of great options.

Reviewed 6 January 2013

My wife and I were on holiday visiting Mom, Kids and all the family living in Cape Breton when we stumbled across the Smoke House. Largest Log Cabin I have ever seen. Lovely setting back of the road with a view across Little Harbour from the veranda.
Inside the resturant was very clean and had a massive log staircase over the entrance door. We were greeted on arrival and given a choice of tables. Wine was served and for the first time I tried Buffallo Steak, Medium Rare with all the trimmings. Best piece of meat I have ever eaten, although imported from out West, which was confirmed by out Waitress. The meat proved to be the most succulent perfectly cooked red in the very middle and melted in the mouth. I now understand how the Buffullo almost became extict. Forget the pelts, they taste sooooo good.
Last time we visited took my Brother in Law and Wife's, again greeted and again sat down to a beautiful meal. Unfortunately Buffallo was off at that time of year but we all were equally satisfied with wonderful food and service. Large tip followed.

2  Thank Other187047
Reviewed 2 August 2012

My husband and I sailed into Little Harbour on our way through the Bras d,Or Lakes; we made Little Harbour one of our destinations, mainly to visit the Cape Breton Smoke House Restaurant. The location was amazing and truly beautiful; unfortunatly the meal and the service was very disappointing. We waited a long time to have our order taken, and longer for drinks. The food came with a heafty price tag (which we don't mind if the meal is worthy) and was not at all what we expected. We ordered the sausages which were no better than those you buy from your local supermarket; hoping to have them "smoked" living up to the name of the restaurant. My husband ordered the spiced curried sausage (3) they were presented to him with a slice down the middle filled with ketchup, tabasco sauce and sprinkled with ground curry - I do not need to say more... very disappointing!!

1  Thank Glenna L
Reviewed 21 February 2012

Before we get to the food , lets discuss the atmosphere!! The restaurant is a magnificent log cabin with a huge indoor fireplace and balcony. Our table was situated in front of a large picture window overlooking a small bay leading into the main channel of the Bras Dor'. The view of the sunset on the water,outlined by the trees and the owners two masted schooner, was breathtaking.
The menu, though not extensive, was varied enough to accommodate most palates.
I chose the specialty of the house, smoked salmon, whose recipe is a closely guarded secret of the owner/chef.
I was not disappointed, as it was the best I have ever tasted.
My dinner companions chose a variety of wines and entrees of fish, meats and sausages. All were pleased with their choices.
I recommend this establishment to anyone who appreciates fine food, good service, warm atmosphere and a spectacular view.
It will definitely warrant a return visit next summer when we revisit beautiful Cape Breton Island .

Reviewed 6 September 2011

After much travel one evening we happened upon the Cape Breton Smokehouse hidden deep in the hills of Orangedale. What a find. A goreous - entirely underrated log home nestled in the trees and then offerring a spectacular view of the Bras D'or Lakes. We were greeted by Beergeet and seated in the best table possible to behold the magestic view. The menu is highly specialized offererring smoked salmon, Octobefest Sausages, and other entrees. . But the Cheesecake, made by Beergeet herself is delectable.. Thick and not
overly sweet - it's the very best I have had.
The setting would be perfect for a wedding, family reunion or any large gathering.
I cannot wait to show this place off to any and all of my out of town guests.
It rates a 10!