“Worst place to eat....”

Cuisines: Diner, Seafood, Canadian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 20 May 2015 via mobile

Went there with the family (10 members) the first thing that went wrong was that if I was told that if the group was more than 8 people that I was supposed to make a reservation......really? After that we were told that because the supervisor wasn't there that they were going to serve us.....me and my wife ordered shrimp mofongo.....ohhhh my Lord, it was the worst taste I've ever experienced......$20.00 dollars for a very small mofongo with 5 shrimps....the sause tasted like they've open a can of tomato sause and tossed it in my plate....it was bad, bad, bad.....my niecw order an octopus salad that only tasted like pure vinegar.....if I keep on going you won't beleive all I have to say. On top of that in my ticket they included a mandatory tip of $23.00......it was the worst experience I've ever had !!! I should it consulted this page before.....please don't go there, they don't have any idea of what a mofongo should taste like.....completely disappointed !!! Ohhh and our final bill was $200.00.

5  Thank Felix E
gallawaysrestaurant, Owner at Gallaways Family Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2015

You are very mistaken. Gallaways is not open for the 2015 season. Check your bill. You have given a review to a restaurant you did not visit. The only restaurants open on GM are Sailor's Landing and Harbour Grill. I expect you may have visited one of them??

Reviewed 28 October 2014 via mobile

Nice option for dining on Grand Manan...located directly next to the Surfside Motel. Get there early in summer months as it gets very crowded. It is definitely worth the wait. Food is very good and service is as well. Homemade chowder and fresh haddock are the best choices. Nice views of Stanley Beach. Perfect for families with children...young and old alike. Full bar is available. Salads are something to consider...fresh and flavorful. A nice lunch or dinner option.

1  Thank BeeMelissa
Reviewed 5 September 2014 via mobile

My family and I have been to this restaurant many times over the past few years. Always a good meal for a good price, but one day in particular stood out.

August 31, 2014 was our last night on the island. We decides to go out for the night. Upon arriving we were informed that there would be a wait on food since they were understaffed and were out of certain foods. Not a problem! Love a heads up.

Once our party of 6 ordered, it was a long wait, yes, but it was worth it. The female waitress and male helper were superb. They kept us updated on our food, made sure we were happy, and always checked on our drinks. Thy kept apologizing for the wait, but it was really no trouble at all.

Our cups of soup came out. Enormous! Looked like a bowl. Delicious, as always, even my toddler enjoyed it! Dinner itself was just as good. I couldn't be happier with that place.

1  Thank MissJeanne987
Reviewed 24 August 2014

Don't expect upscale fancy decor or fine wines. The friendly cheerful service is a bit slow but the food is what makes this place. It is down home cooking and amazing!
It's located behind the Surfside Motel right on the beach with a view of the harbour.
When we first entered it looked a little rough and we wondered what we were in for but it was so good that we went back another 2 times before the end of our Grand Manan visit.
Reservations unless it is nice out and you want to sit on the patio are not necessary. Prices are very reasonable .
I have eaten a lot of Fish and Chips and hands down this was the very best I have ever eaten. Fresh Halibut, lightly battered and cooked with expertise served with homemade tartar sauce. They are a bit stingy on the coleslaw but are willing to give you extra. Homemade dessert is delicious.
I would recommend this place to anyone who isn't looking for goumet.

1  Thank pearlybay
Reviewed 21 August 2014

We stopped by this spot for lunch and were not disappointed. There was so much food we couldn't finish it all. There is something for everyone whether you like seafood or something more "pub style". The prices were reasonable and the service was fast. They are only open from noon to 8pm so don't expect breakfast or a late supper.