All reviews hot shower sea asparagus boat ride oysters crab get away aleta art fraser pug bioluminescence molly harvest summer nature tents dock
Reviewed 23 February 2018

If the way the world is today is hurting your heart and creating anxiety, this is one thing you can do that will give you a huge reset button on modern life. You'll return home with a sense of perspective, of childlike innocence, steeped in the beauty of nature, and fully refreshed and relaxed and ready to resume your life.

I have been going to Tzoonie almost every summer for the past 7-8 years. The one year I missed it I felt unmoored all year afterward.

I love that there's no cell coverage, and the phones either become cameras or are put away entirely. I draw, play music, listen to the gulls and shorebirds, and Sammy the seal grunting on the boom around Tzoonie's dock. And I take long naps either in a hammock, on a lounger chair at the Oyster Shack on the beach, or in my cabin or tenthouse just feet from the shore.

There's a real bathroom near the main cabin area, and smaller toilet-only bathrooms up behind the cookhouse. There's also an on-demand hot shower (perfectly hot!) and a black hose shower on the dock for rinsing off salt water. Nothing like climbing out of the ocean and feeling that sun-soaked heat in the water.

My kids have grown up going here and love hosts Art & Aleta like family. We love Molly the pug, and being teased by Art pretending to be grumpy. Aleta has the greatest laugh, and Fraser is hilarious. Sitting around the fire or the cookhouse table eating together feeds the soul.

Often we'll have a 'seafood feast' put on by Art and Fraser. Art does his secret, special crab, and we go picking mussels and oysters with Fraser and then learn how to clean them on the dock, taking off barnacles and beards, which kids always find great fun. It's something to actually find your own food - it's very hard to take it for granted when you've harvested it and cleaned it. Sometimes we have sea asparagus off the beach, or rake for clams. This year I paddled down to the next point and picked a mess of blackberries that were amazing, so glad I brought the whipped cream!

At night we stay up by flashlight in our cabins or tents, talking or listening to all the animal sounds from the water. One year a mother and baby orca came in and stayed overnight at the bay across from Tzoonie, and we could hear their calls and splashes, so magical.

One of my favourite things to do - aside from biking, kayaking, paddleboarding - is to stay up late, say around 11pm, and if the night is clear and the conditions are right, the bioluminescence mirrored by the stars on the ocean's flat surface is one of the most beautiful things you will ever see. One summer I saw a seal, in a halo of light, streak under the dock after a big salmon. We take out folding chairs, a blanket and hot chocolate and usually Sammy keeps us company, and sometimes Hank, the heron.

I am so happy that this year, my last daughter is graduating from high school and we are taking her and 9 of her friends for a 2 night getaway to celebrate graduation and create some memories together before they all head off to university.

I also go at least one additional time each year with my partner for a romantic getaway, which can't be beat at only $120/night per person, which includes the boat ride!

I can't wait to go back.

Room tip: Tenthouses are great for couples, the small cabins for older kids/teens, cabin at head of dock great for parents & young kids.
Date of stay: August 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank SunshineBigpacific
Reviewed 19 June 2017

This place is gorgeous! Such a short trip from Vancouver to the total wilderness! Being without cell service for the whole weekend couldn't have been easier. Art, Aleta, Fras, Kelly and Molly (the Tzoonie family & adorable pug) took up us by boat from Sechelt to the narrows inlet and were so accommodating the whole weekend! My fabulous friend Laura took me for my 30th birthday, just the two of us, and we couldn't have had a a better time! Will definitely be back.

Date of stay: June 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 September 2015

We had like the title states, an Amazing time!! The staff: Art, Fraser, & Mark were all super friendly and very attentive. They were always available to ask questions and offered up many laughs. The location is incredible with options for picking seafood, canoeing, kayaking, swimming, hiking.. and the list goes on. The one thing I found too was the staff was very professional. I asked for one thing for later on in the evening and literally moments later they had the item ready for me. I was astonished. Also, I noticed out my cabin early in the morning the staff comes by and cleans all the facilities multiple times a day. You can tell they all care about the resort! The set up is great with cabins, chairs outside of the cabins for lounging, good structures, and 2 fire areas: one for cooking and one for relaxing by the water. Mark, their chef designed our menu and cooked all of our meals for us. It was delicious and so convenient to not have to worry about them. The fee to do so was reasonable as well. I will say the only downside was we DIDN'T want to leave LOL. I have told many about Tzoonie and plan to be back in the future. Everyone should go and experience nature at its best!!

Room tip: Be ready for adventure and relaxing!
Date of stay: September 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 10 July 2015

Despite the dense smoke from forest fires, we loved this place. Our tent was clean and comfortable and you can't beat sleeping in the peace of a west coast forest. Kitchen was great for cooking and eating together. Art was the best host - fresh cooked cab legs AND several hours helping us find our kayaks

Date of stay: July 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Marta1944
Reviewed 10 July 2015

This wilderness facility is perfect for people who like the idea of camping in a beautiful environment but don't want the hassle. Everything is provided e.g. an equipped kitchen, platformed tents and cabins, flush toilets, hot shower. We brought in our own kayaks but you can boat in and rent. The owner is very service oriented: there when you need him but giving guests lots of privacy. He even caught and cooked some crab for us.

Room tip: Enjoyed the newer tents: bright and clean and roomy
Date of stay: July 2015