Free cancellation until 23/07
Suriya Resort(Waikkal)
US$98
  • Breakfast included
Savings alert! 22% below average rates

The price you found is 22% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$126/night.

US$120
US$103
Free cancellation until 27/07
US$66
US$52
  • Breakfast included
Green Island Hotel(Waikkal)(Great Value!)
Free cancellation until 25/07
Beach Rest(Waikkal)
Free cancellation until 27/07
US$33
TripAdvisor
All reviewsacross the riverdeluxe bungaloweco resortsri lankahalf boardferry ridebird watchinggames roomsea facingcurrieswater monitorsprawnsvirgin repstandard roompool barlocal dishesgerman guests
Reviewed 24 December 2012

Stayed at the Ranweli Holiday Village for 2 nights in November 2012. The accommodation was clean and tastefully done although relatively basic. The best part was the location, the bungalows looked out onto the beach with palm trees providing lots of shelter. The hotel has won awards for ecotourism and overall had a pleasant quiet atmosphere. We stayed on an all inclusive basis and this was good value for money - it included soft drinks, local beers, cocktail, spirits. The staff were very friendly and helpful. There was a good selection of food at the buffet, with English and traditional Sri Lankan. We hired bikes and canoes as part of the visit which was good to break up the day.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 December 2012

we made a quick one night stay in Ranweli while returning from Maldives, trust me, it was the best part of our Honeymoon. we had to stay only one night and the service is totally refreshing . it enables you to soften your mind and relax and enjoy the moment there...

Eco friendly... so has problem of hot water due to solar heater. it takes ages to heat and EOD it doesnt give that much warm water

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank AravindhMohan
Reviewed 17 November 2012

A relaxing All Inclusive holiday in a great resort in Waikkal, Sri Lanka. The Ranweli is an eco resort situated on a peninsula between the sea and 2 estuaries and makes every effort to operate in an eco friendly manner. The vast array of flaura and forna in the grounds was quite a surprise: there are beautiful indinginous species of birds, butteflies, squirrels, flowers, herbs and spices. We really enjoyed our 'nature walk' with the resort eco manager Ranjith and our 'cycle tour' with Samon: both being real highlights.
Other aspects were equally good. Every member of staff were so nice to us and took care of our every need. It's difficult to single out any one in paticular, though I have to say Mendis who took care of our bungalow provided an excellent service. As for the food, all I can say is that it was a delight and so plentiful. My wife, who is a vegatarian, had no problems whatsover; indeed, she had a wide choice of many and varied options at breakfast, lunch and dinner.
The only downside during our stay, which was outside the control of the Ranweli staff, was the rubbish washed up on the beach and the pollution in the river. Otherwise, it was a great stay :-)

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank AlnLes
Reviewed 5 November 2012

The average rating may sound a bit harsh after reading the review but this is based on my feelings during our short stay.

We arrived after a three hour journey from Galle, looking foward to a few hours of relaxation in the sun (Galle it rained for the whole week!) On arrival you board a small raft that shuttles you across the mangrove river, very nice or it would have been had someone given me a hand with my families bags (I carried two of them before anyone made the effort to help)

Check in and accommodation was excellent, we took three rooms two of them connected by a joining door, highly recommended for families with young children. Mini bar in room was not really a bar as it contained no drinks?

Nice pool but could do with some service (waiters) around the pool to take drink/food orders rather than you having to go to the bar (I know sounds lazy but I'm on holiday) I also found it strange that you have to sign for pool towels, this is the first time I've came across this.

We tried to make a reservation for the Seafood buffet at check-in but was informed that it was fully booked. Another conversation took place and the price went from 20$ to 30$ for us as we are only staying B&B, if you stay half/full board the price is only 20$ (seems to me just another way of extracting more $) We ended up eating in the buffet area, it was okay nothing special. Breakfast was excellent.

Overall the resort is okay, visually it is very good but my impression was that it caters for package tours and all inclusive deals. The resort seemed sterile no atmosphere, limited food and beverage facilities.

Had our booking not been last minute then I would have done further homework before booking Ranweli (I'm sure there is far beter in the area for less or same price)

Room Tip: The rooms all looked very nice (the joing family rooms are excellent)
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank David T
Reviewed 2 November 2012

For the last long weekend (October 2012) we (me, my wife and two kids) stayed at the Ranweli Holiday Village in Waikkal in a Deluxe Bungalow. From the initial ride on the makeshift ferry taking us from the car park to the long walk leading up to the reception foyer, an area which was surrounded by swampy mangroves and the deer enclosure and the glimpses of the roofs which had a thatched look affording us vistas of the Indian Ocean, we were all simply entranced. The front office staff received us warmly and were very attentive to our needs and the bell boys and concierge staff were quite efficient and forthcoming with information about the area and what it was that we could do during our stay as they escorted us to our Deluxe room. In the restaurant the staff were pleasant and made us feel looked after and the food ranged from wholesome Sri Lankan cuisine to more elegant and exotic ones displaying much variety. We were spoiled for choice something that was also a perennial quality in the entertainment facilities they offered, although we chose mostly to lounge outside and chat. The kids in particular loved frolicking with the housekeeping staff - the room boys who made every effort to have a conversation with us and inquired about whether the stay was enjoyable. It was with regret that we left for home as the hospitality was impeccable and it is indeed commendable that the eco-friendly approach is taken very seriously by the hotel's management and it is not just a marketing tool on a brochure or website and the environmental concerns permeate every aspect of the operation including in the maintenance of the buildings. Thumbs up. We will definitely be coming again and are already looking forward to it. Well done Ranweli - a job well done - keep it up. Ruwan Jayakody - Colombo.

Room Tip: Just go for a Deluxe Room Bungalow - trust me you can't go wrong
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family