“Fresh, Friendly, Home Made (and did I mention Pie?).”
Review of Big Sioux Cafe

Big Sioux Cafe
Ranked #43 of 179 Restaurants in Grand Forks
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 14 July 2016

About a year ago, Faithful Traveling Companion (FTC) and I were looking for a good breakfast that wasn't a chain such as IHOP or Perkins. An attendant at a gas station in Grand Forks recommended the Big Sioux Cafe and said she and her friends go there a lot. Now I have eaten at truck stops before and came away full but nothing memorable. That is until this place.

On our recent trip through the states, we ate there twice, entering and exiting the USA. Both times it was very good. On the way in, we both had the club sandwiches which are huge and made with fresh (not processed) turkey. I had the fries and FTC had the soup which she thought was really good. I had a piece of pecan pie which, like all the pies, is home made and the slice was huge. Coffee was brought several times.

On the way out, we stopped for a quick lunch as we were going out for dinner a few hours later. While FTC didn't want anything big, she was entranced by the carrot cake,. When we arrived it was explained that they had a busy day and only had a few pies left. However, after we sat down, we were advised that pies were out of the oven and would be available soon I had the tuna melt which was good and let FTC eat the beef vegetable soup (again, home made) which she really enjoyed. What I didn't notice until we were leaving was the cinnamon rolls which are the size of plates. Again, they are home made and looked and smelled delicious. (Note to self, next trip, BUY ONE!)

Our server on both visits was April and she is very friendly and excellent at her job and was quick with the service. The thing I like about this place is that the staff seems to be very into their jobs. (I remember in Florida, our server introduced herself by saying, "Hi, my name is Jen and I hate my job!".) They take pride in what they serve and how they serve it.

I have no hesitation in recommending this restaurant for any meal.

Reviewed 3 April 2016 via mobile

I came in on a Sunday late in the morning in the hopes of missing the morning breakfast rush and boy was I wrong. I waited about thirty minutes to get a seat. Once seated, I ordered my food and it came out in a reasonable amount of time and it was nice and hot. I had four slices of French toast, three sausage links, and two scrambled eggs all for $11.24 which was really pretty good. The food was absolutely great here so I will definitely be coming back here again.

Reviewed 1 September 2015

Take advantage of their daily specials! I had a very tasty, well seasoned turkey burger with all the trimmings, a bowl of turkey wild rice soup, and my favorite soda pop for a grand total of $7.50! Can't be beat....great food and great service.

Reviewed 18 November 2014

We stop here for breakfast every time we travel through Grand Forks. Service for a large restaurant is unbelievable. Your food is great and delivered to you in lighting speed all for a very valued price. Everything here has a homemade taste. Great choice for a quick bite and fuel up on your net road trip.

Reviewed 28 March 2014

Food took a bit to get out, but came out hot and fresh. My pancake and egg was good, hash browns were a little uninspired but just fine. Had a water with it. Tasted good.

(Later that night)

Profuse diarrhea and vomitting proceed. 2 days of sweating, diarrhea and fever dreams here I come! Was unable to do anything but sleep/lay down for 2 days.

Tasted good going in, not so much coming out...Next time I think I'll pass on the E. Coli.

3  Thank Abe J