Holiday Inn Express Winston-Salem Downtown West
  • Pool
US$168
EmbassySuites.com
  • Breakfast included
Best Western Plus Hanes Mall Hotel(Winston Salem)(Great Value!)
US$89
Graylyn Estate(Winston Salem)
US$309
Travelocity
Great 4.5/5
La Quinta Inn & Suites Winston-Salem(Winston Salem)(Great Value!)
US$85
Very Good 4/5
All reviewspanera breadmiller streetbaptist hospitalwake forestmedical centerfront desk staffconvenient locationthe breakfast areawonderful hotela wonderful stayroom was clean and comfortablehome away from homeup to dateenjoyed my stayhiesamanthashuttle
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 2 September 2017 via mobile

We were passing through on our way home to NY from FL and spent the night here. Staff was VERY friendly. Continental breakfast was real good.

Hotel on the other had needs lots of updates. We stayed a week earlier in Chattanooga at the holiday inn downtown and the difference was night and day.

Both hotels had a similar motif but the Winston-Salem hotel looked older and it looked like it was half done compared to the one in TN.

The fixtures looked similar but a little older but the carpets in the room in NC were old and needed replacing. The base board tile in the bathroom had noticeable gaps in it and you could see into the wall. That could be a bug issue. Tubs and sinks were clean. Desk looked like it had seen better days. Beds look similar to the ones in TN and look ok. No bed bugs. The side chair looked out dated and dingy.

I think this could be a great hotel if they paid more attention to updating the smaller details. Initial walk in, room looked ok because the big stuff looked updated but walk around and look closer and it was a glossy make over.

I know comparing this place with the one in TN is probably not a fair comparison because they are probably privately owned but I felt comfortable walking in bare feet in the TN hotel vs. the NC one.

I expect if I walk into a holiday inn in one town and a holiday inn in another, they should be pretty close in comparison. It is like if you go to Burger King in one city and hit one in another, a Whopper will be a Whopper and you know what to expect.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Winston-Salem Downtown West, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2017

Hi Mike B,

I am sorry to read that you found the room in its tired condition, especially the carpet. Your comments have been passed along to hotel management for use in future renovations. They share our commitment in maintaining a high quality of accommodations.

I am thrilled that you were delighted by our accommodating staff. They'll be happy to hear about your kind words. I'm glad that you stopped by. I hope that this experience will not stop you from giving us another try. We appreciate your loyalty to IHG!

Kind Regards,

Anna B

Reviewed 28 August 2017 via mobile

I don't know how this place rated so high. It's old and dirty and the rooms. Had an odd oder. Everything felt damp, also. It really needs updates. I wish I would have taken pictures. 2 stars fora nice breakfast and nice staff.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Winston-Salem Downtown West, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2017

Hi Mary W!

Thanks for choosing to stay with us among your many lodging options and posting a review! We're glad to know that you liked our breakfast selections and hotel staff's service. I'm terribly sorry though about the inconveniences you had because of some dated amenities and fixtures in our hotel.

Everybody here wants each of our guests to leave with pleasant memories. That said, the issues you've raised will reach our hotel ownership as a material to better our current operating model.

Again, thanks for your comments, and I hope we can win back your heart and try us again in your future travels.

Many thanks,

Gian M

Reviewed 26 July 2017

I was booked for two nights for a work related trip. I arrived after 6pm and the area had just had a bad storm. The apparently the power had gone out and the credit card terminals were not working. They asked for a credit card number to place a $20 hold for incidentals. I gave this and it took the clerks several minutes to write down the number. I was assured that they would shred this paper after they entered the card number. I waited for 20 minutes before I could check in. I settled in my room and went to eat dinner. I noticed after I returned that there were crumbs in the desk chair, crumbs in the desk, crumbs, staples, a girl's barrett, a little horse, and a receipt under the alarm clock from July 13, 2017. I noticed that most likely the carpet was vacumed however, someone was lazy and just pushed these items around. I made a note to contact the front desk and see that they made a better attempt at cleaning the next day. I went to sleep, and woke up sometime around 12:30 am or maybe even later, I turned on the light to go to the bathroom and a roach crawled across the tv/bar stand. I couldn't get up quick enough to catch the roach and started to feel a bit grossed out. I called the night clerk and told her that the room was filthy and that I took pictures of all of the items that had been pushed around the room. I told her about the roach. She told me that they hotel was completely full and that it was up to me what I wanted to do. I told her that I would try to go back to sleep. After hanging up the phone I decided to try and sleep, I left the lights on in case the roach wanted to come back out. I was restless and couldn't sleep. I felt like something was crawling in my bed and was biting at me. I thought to myself that I was letting my mind get the best of me after seeing the roach. Then I did feel a bite. I pulled back the covers and there was a bed bug in my bed. I jumped out of the bed and didn't even put on regular clothes. I was so disgusted. I trapped the bedbug in a tissue and took it downstairs for the night clerk to look at it. She was visibly shaken up as she said that was so gross. She apologized and told me to take pictures of it and send those and the other pictures to an email address. I sent the pictures to that email address and told her that I was leaving the facility as tired as I was. I live in 1 1/2 hours away. I was supposed to be training in Winston Salem and was leaving early. I went back upstairs and saw another bedbug on the carpet. I packed as quickly as I could and left the hotel. The night clerk told me that a General Manager would be calling me. This was last Wednesday, July 19, 2017. To this day, no one from the hotel or the management has contacted me. I was told by an exterminator that Winston Salem is known for pesticide resistant bedbugs. Never, ever stay at the hotel.

Room Tip: Don't stay here ever, unless you want to bring home a gift that doesn't stop giving!
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled on business
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Winston-Salem Downtown West, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2017

Hi 704Beth,

Thank you for your review and for staying at the hotel. Guest comfort and satisfaction are of the utmost concern to us and our hotel is committed to making every possible effort to provide comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. I Truly apologize for th the trouble and inconveniences you have encountered with the cleanliness of the room and level of customer service received. I understand how frustrating these matters can be and I am sorry our hotel management was not able to address this issue appropriately. As such, I have sent you a private message to ask more information regarding this unsatisfactory stay.

Your visit is valuable and I hope you will continue to choose IHG for your future travel needs.

Zel N.

Reviewed 26 July 2017

In town for meeting, however pleasure as well, stay was enjoyable and very comfortable. The staff was nice and over friendly and always greeted us with a smile. They ensured we had everything we needed and asked about out stay each time they saw us the entire week.

Stayed: July 2017
Reviewed 21 July 2017 via mobile

Stopped here for overnight stay due to touring a local college.
We had a couple issues with door cards working for our room but the front desk staff is very helpful and friendly. Helped us each time without issue. Absolutely no complaints there.
Where I take issue or concern- the facility is not as up to date as other holiday inn expresses.
Very poor design bathroom. No exhaust fan for showers. Thus rusted lighting in ceiling and mold growing on ceiling. Large mirror that is usually in room missing. Hooks present but no mirror.
Lobby and breakfast area however very modern and up to date. Breakfast options were wonderful .
Corporate REALLY needs to invest in this facility and update. This hotel has an excellent location and wonderful staff just rooms need to equate to this excellence.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Winston-Salem Downtown West, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2017

Dear KWG70,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and reviewing our property. I am very delighted to know you liked the friendliness of our staff and the convenient location of our facility. On the other hand, I am sorry you were not satisfied with the room you received, specially the condition of your room. Your feedback is very important to us as this continually helps us improve the facilities and guest services we offer to our guests. Thank you for staying and we hope you give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Anthony M