“Rare sit down Asian Restaurant with the ower always present”
Review of Szechuan 132

Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed 12 November 2014

Szechuan 132 has been in Wilmington longer than me and I have been here for 23 years. Its a rare quality sit down Asian restaurant that offers mainly cuisine from different parts of China and other Asian countries with the focus on Cantonese. Joe, the owner came to Wilmington from New York's Chinatown and he reproduces the NY Chinatown experience. The lunch menu changes regularly, but if you ask for your favoirte dish and its not on the menu, worry not, they will prepare it for you. All lunches are under $8.00 and include egg roll, spring roll or Asian salad, entree and rice, white, brown or fried. Soup is optional and less than a dollar. The dinner menu is extensive and as I mentioned above, if you don't see it, ask! The restaurant is clean, the staff is very helpful, service is efficient and there is a full bar service. Becase Joe is usually always at the restaurant and if he has to step out or for some reason isn't able to be there, his wife will be, so rest assured everything is overseen by the family in this family run restaurant. I highly recommend it for lunch or dinner or even in between. An example of what to expect: My wife and I decided to share the house special seafood soup for two for lunch. Its not on the lunch menu but I knew about it.from the dinner menu. When it was presented at table my wife noticed it had egg in it and she doesn't eat egg. Joe came over and asked how we liked the house special soup and we mentioned my wife couldn't eat it as it had egg in it. Jow wisked it away, and returned several minutes later with a new house special seafood soup without egg so my wife could enjoy her lunch without the dreaded egg. That's the way restaurant service should be.

1  Thank John S

Reviewed 2 September 2014

Have been looking for a close-to-traditional Chinese restaurant in Wilmington, NC. Finally found one! Ribs were great. Classic won-ton soup. Friendly service. Owner walks around to check to see how everything is. Will be back soon! Highly recommended!

Reviewed 11 August 2014

The owners, Joseph and Sally Hou, go out of their way to make your dining experience a good one with experienced chefs, waiters, and waitresses. The great food is consistently well-prepared with fresh ingredients. As other raters have mentioned, if you want something that is not on the menu, ask for it because it may be possible to get it. One or two other Asian restaurants may offer more non-Chinese (Thai, Vietnamese, etc.) food but this one offers the best Chinese food. I have been eating at Szechuan 132 since 1995 and have never had a bad meal!

I read the very few, extremely negative reviews by others and, IF they are accurate, they are unusual exceptions not the rule.

1  Thank DocNott
Reviewed 19 July 2014

I've dined here 3 times and was very pleased on each occasion. The décor is very tasteful, which is uncommon for most Chinese venues. They pour a good drink and the service is outstanding. On my last visit I had the orange duck which was outstanding. I've not had wonderful Peking duck since leaving Taiwan, but with a couple of days notice, they can prepare it. I'll let you know how it is.

1  Thank welchboy
Reviewed 12 January 2014

Carol and I stopped in at Szechwan 123 after church this afternoon. Quite busy when we arrived but seated right around because table of two available. Despite being busy, service was good and the food was tasty and good. I had the crab raggoon along with the walnut shrimp.

Service was quite good given the busy nature of the time (i.e. 12:30 pm). Had not been to Szechwan in quite awhile but was surprisingly satisfied with our experience. The owner was hospitable and concerned that we were treated well and had a positive experience.

2  Thank Frank O