“Good for Quick Lunch”

Ranked #4 of 767 Restaurants in Wilmington
Price range: US$10 - US$30
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Description: NOTE****If you are reading this description, please take note that we will only hold your reservation for 15 minutes. After that, you forfeit your reservation. Our apologies for this, we can not hold tables past 15 minutes as this does not help with our other wait times. Thank you for your participation and understanding in this. Genki Sushi is the ONLY Authentic Japanese sushi bar and Restaurant in Wilmington and surrounding areas. We only use fresh ingredients and we make every thing in house including our very own soy sauce blend. We are located in the heart of Wilmington. We strive hard to maintain the highest quality of food, ingredients and service. We are considered " A True taste of Japan". Come and see what real Japanese sushi taste like! We cant wait for you to have a new place to eat sushi at, and that is with us!
Reviewed 28 September 2018

Good for quick lunch during work trip. Restaurant was very busy and I had to sit at bar. They had a lot of sushi options and everything tasted great.

Date of visit: January 2018

Reviewed 9 September 2018 via mobile

We had a fantastic experience here. Not only are the servers incredible (I’m talking about you Owen!), but the owner is friendly and genuinely engaged in the guest experience. The fish is fresh and the rolls are simple yet delicious-the perfect fusions. I also enjoyed the restaurant itself; it’s relaxing and allows the food to be the standout. When in town, we will absolutely return.

2  Thank JenVenTor
Reviewed 3 September 2018

Best sushi & sashimi in town. And Chef Danny's miso-marinated whitefish and buri kama are absolutely fantastic. But what keeps me coming back is the atmosphere. It's not showy, fancy or pretentious (qualities that, for me, tend to diminish food rather than highlight it). And they've managed to blend the fast-paced race of a fresh sushi bar with a light, convivial, family feel full of smiles and laughter. The staff are quick, polite, and seem to genuinely enjoy what they're doing which makes my dining experience that much more delightful. Highly recommended. Best to call ahead especially on weekends as they have, understandably, developed quite a following. And don't miss the salmon or black cod miso soup!

1  Thank Noah H
Reviewed 2 September 2018 via mobile

We are regular visitors to Genki. The food and service are consistently excellent. They specialize in traditional sushi and Japanese entrees done right, served in a cozy family atmosphere. Good sushi and rolls, the buri kama is a personal favorite, and tasty homemade caramels to complete the meal. Cannot recommend highly enough.

1  Thank Katie M
Reviewed 19 August 2018 via mobile

Pros: Sushi was good. No complaints there. Not the best I’ve ever had but we could tell that great pride was put into it. Great service. Fair prices. Great candy at the end of the meal.
Cons: This part bothered me. The menus were old and worn out. Considering everyone touches the menu, I’d like to see them replaced often or made of plastic for the ability to sanitize them after each meal. Next con: The table setup was more “old diner” than upscale sushi establishment. It just didn’t seem very authentic or cozy or nice enough for the need to book a reservation and for the price of dinner.
Summary: The amazing food presentation, reservation necessity and price just didn’t line up with the old dirty menu, diner-like table setup and casual feel. I haven’t had the urge to return but it was a pretty good meal.

Date of visit: August 2018
Sofie101, Owner at Genki Sushi, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2018

Dear KinderedSpirit07,
I must first thank you for dining with us. Honestly I haven’t had a review that legitimately gave us 3.5 stars for…I’m actually not sure what. I guess I should be grateful that we at least landed 3.5 stars in your view. I am confused however by your review on us from your perspective. I know everyone has one. From your perspective you’re not sure why anyone should have to make a reservation with us, because we do not portray an upscale establishment. But, in your perspective we are more of a “diner” type with tables that are not cozy, and old crusty menus. Let me start with the reservations.

Being 20 years in Wilmington as the 2nd Sushi bar to even exist here, we have been fortunate enough to have an amazing customer base of regulars and daily new customers coming in on the regular. Because of this we have been forced to be extremely organized in our Dinner Shift, causing us to have to go on to a reservation only on the weekends. This benefits us and the customer as well. It helps us to have more control of the dining experience for you, as up until 2 years ago, our customers would be waiting sometimes an hour and a half to two hour’s outside, just waiting for a table! No one wants this, including us. We are very busy with heavy volume for dinner and a reservation is assurance that our loyal guest and new ones as well, will not have to wait for a table in our place. I see nothing wrong with this idea and our most loyal following appreciates it. The fact that we do reservations has nothing what so ever to do with our décor, ambiance, or the look of our menu. It was created out of necessity, and we will continue to do so.

Our menus are special. They are new so when you say old and worn out, I’m assuming that you are referring to the authentic aspect of them as they were hand made by a Japanese friend of ours who is an expert on Japanese culture, who just so happens to have been born and raised in Japan. Her touch of authenticity by hand writing Japanese poems in old Japanese calligraphy on each on each of our menus, is something we are proud of and we take pride in our menus because no one else has them or ever will. To insist that they are dirty, worn out and old looking...I guess could be taken as an insult to things that are Japanese, but I won’t take it that far. I’ll just say thank you for noticing, but I can gather from your comments that you are unsure about Japanese look or their simplicity or even the Authenticity of Japanese items in itself…which leads me to my next item…our seating arrangement.

The tables, chairs and booths that we currently have are less than 3 months old. They are Japanese style and were custom made to fit our restaurant and our décor. We have no intention of ever trying to portray ourselves as an “upscale establishment.” We have never been that and we don’t intend to be. We just like nice things. We like to do things in a nice way. We like our servers to look nice and wear clean nice cloths. When Chef Danny prepares his Sushi he does it the Japanese way. We like to say" he puts his heart on the plate." Our menus are hand crafted in Japanese, Japanese style. Our seating is beautiful, new and simple. Just like the Japanese way is on doing things.

We are by the way, the Only Authentic Japanese Restaurant in Wilmington. Authentic meaning real.

Perhaps you should visit Japan and see how they do things. It’s good to be simple. It’s good to be original, and when our Japanese customers walk in our door they say, it’s good to be home!