“Great place to stay”

Ranked #18 of 44 Hotels in Wilmington
Hartsville, South Carolina
“Great place to stay”
Reviewed 20 February 2012

My wife and I spent the weekend in historic Wilmington and this was a great place to stay. Location can't be beat, right downtown on the river. It's close to everything. The staff was fabulous. We valeted the car when we arrived and didn't get it again til it was time to go home. When we return to Wilmington we will definitely be staying here again.

Room Tip: Book a riverview.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ryan7515
WilmingtonHiltonGirl, Director of Sales at Hilton Wilmington Riverside, responded to this review, 23 February 2012
Thank you so much for your wonderful review.
We are thrilled you and your wife had such a good time.

We think you should come back this weekend...It is going to be 70 and Sunny :)!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (270)
Greenville, North Carolina
Reviewed 17 February 2012

Several years ago I lived in Wilmington and it seemed everyone wanted to stay at the Hilton even now the Hilton seems to be the place to stay.............so this past Valentine weekend I wanted somewhere special for us to stay and I chose the Hilton. When I booked I specified that I wanted to guarantee a riverview, well I paid extra for that view.....one floor above a big, white roof top........you had to look beyond that distraction to focus on the view. The one thing that really upsets us is the fact that you have to pay to park in the Hilton's parking lot..........aren't the rates high enough without charging a guest to park there?

Room Tip: Don't request a specific room
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your recent stay and your comments.

Unfortunately, there is no complimentary parking in down town Wilmington. I am not sure if that was the case when you lived here- it is now. As the downtown area grew parking demand grew as well. Parking is so limited in the area that (2) garages have been added within blocks of the hotel over the past two years. We do charge for parking however unlike the street parking, you do have in/out privileges for the entire stay and no meters!

As for your stay, I am sorry you were disappointed with your room. We do try to get everyone the best view possible, however sometimes over high occupancy dates (depending when the reservation was made and the room type you requested) a lower floor maybe all we had available.

Thank you again and I hope you will return and give us the opportunity to get you the perfect view!
Wesley Chapel, Florida
Reviewed 11 February 2012

As a leader of a corporate presentation team I travel intensively with my colleagues. As a HHonors Diamond member, I try to stay loyal to Hilton properties. The overall condition of the Wilmington NC Hilton makes it hard to convince my team of Hilton quality standards. The condition of this property shows little or no investment in upgrades for many years. Carpets everywhere are old and thin, rooms are stale, worn with old bad odors, fly specked - hand lettered signs grace things that are out of order. The decor reflects the cutting edge - late '80s. The "silver" elevator had drip stains that range from long-ago to the recent past. Staff was great, doing the best with what they have, but as far as a Hilton flagship brand, it is time for a serious look at Wilmington NC. Get the owner to invest in an upgrade or drop it down to a Doubletree or out of the portfolio. Next week my team will be selecting a hotel for the week. This property has made it harder to convince them that Hilton is the way to go. The next property might be great, but they have Wilmington as evidence that Marriott or Hyatt might be a better choice. I write this in the spirit of providing feedback for improvement as I want to remain a loyal Hilton guy for me and my team.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank MikeK10_10
Thank you so much for your recent stay and your comments.

I know we have responded to your concerns via e-mail, but I did want to make mention that we have replaced all of the carpeting in the sleeping rooms, in case another traveler has the same concerns. Thank you again and we look forward to having you back.
Columbia, South Carolina
Reviewed 11 February 2012

My reservation was made with the hotel because I was requesting a special rate; it was efficiently and correctly handled. Upon check in the rooms were correct and the front desk staff was efficient and pleasant. I'm still a little taken aback that some properties have begun requesting picture IDs, but no big deal. The room was well furnished and in good condition. Everything worked and was in good condition. The bed was comfortable (at least for us).The bathroom was very clean and the amenities were more than adequate (true, there was no shoe polisher). Even though there was a convention, the room was quiet.

I do agree that the hotel bar is far less than I would have expected. They have a very limited beer selection and as another reviewer has indicated, no mixed drinks. I am assuming (but don't know) that it may be some deal not to compete with the on-site up-scale restaurant. If so, it is poor deal since many of us simply want to chill with a drink in more relaxed and informal atmosphere. The bar tender was not the most personable I have encountered.

We did not eat at the lobby higher-end private restaurant (Chris Ruth), so can't comment on it. We did have breakfast at the hotel restaurant on the lower level. The buffet is about what you'd expect, as is the price. The breakfast food was good and there were some surprises, such as serving steel cut oatmeal. Service, however, was very poor. Granted there was a convention, but I would expect that is relatively common at this Hilton. It took forever to get our bill -- and getting in and out is usually what business travelers expect.

If driving, expect to be charged for parking. While I realize this is typical of higher end, larger city properties, I am more than a little surprised about it here. Wilmington, while having many bright spots, is also a port city with a rather stinky paper mill.

There is a business center, but during my visit not only was the printer out of order (with a sign posted, suggesting it had been inoperable for a while), but when it does work there is a charge.

In sum, it is OK, certainly adequate, but it is somewhat less than I expected of a Hilton.

Room Tip: They cost more, but you might prefer a room overlooking the water rather than a "city view.&quo...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Thank you for your recent stay and your feedback.

We appreciate all of our travelers input, both positive and constructive.

I understand your concerns about the parking fees onsite. I am not sure if you had an opportunity to venture out down town. You may have seen that there is no free parking anywhere within the downtown area. Because of this, parking is in huge demand. We positioned our rates to be competitive and our guests have a premiere spot (within walking distance) of Wilmington's best dining, sightseeing, shopping and of course the boardwalk. You can enjoy it all without having to feed the meter every two hours.

We are in the process of preparing to renovate the business center and hope to have this project completed by the summer. Although there is currently a minimal charge, we do provide complimentary hi speed internet in all of our sleeping rooms and public space.

We appreciate the review and all the feedback. I will forward your concerns to the appropriate department heads and we hope to see you again in the near future.
Reviewed 7 February 2012

I found the room to be nice & clean. The front desk attendants were very nice & helpfull. The location is perfect. Just walk to restaurants, shops & riverfront! In comparing prices with many of the other hotels in area - the Hilton is priced about right. In fact, why pay the same to stay in a 3 star hotel in a location that isn't as nice!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
We are so glad you had a great stay and found the staff to be helpful.
We always strive to provide a great experience and we appreciate it when our efforts are recognized. Thank you again and we look forward to your return!