“Great Place for Kids!”

Children's Museum of Wilmington
Ranked #39 of 129 things to do in Wilmington
Reviewed 6 August 2017

Having small children I frequent many children's museums, but by far this is probably one of the best. It's three floors with various exhibits as well as a yard that is filled with a school bus, spider net for climbing and interactive play. The museum has something from the littlest kiddos to pre-teen.

1  Thank Cristina S
"spent almost"
"all ages"
in 6 reviews

Reviewed 5 August 2017

Took my 6 and 8 year old grandkids. They are mature and independent beyond their years. They initially thought it was boring. But after a few minutes they really got into it. They especially loved the green screen, mixing colors and the chair that you can make go up and down. I enjoyed watching them act like kids. They played with Mr and Mrs Potatohead, blocks and even the food in the diner and kitchen areas. Bonus for the adults - the AC works great!!

Reviewed 8 July 2017 via mobile

Kids really enjoyed this. Art room was neat. Jet pack seat was their favorite part. I always love the play market and diner.

1  Thank 255whitneyc
Reviewed 18 June 2017 via mobile

My 2 grandchildren sure love this place! It's huge!! So many different play stations and areas to roam and learn. I bought the yearly family membership and it certainly paid off for us! There is even a school bus outback for the kids to play in. Give it a try sometime! I'm glad I found this place to take my grandchildren!

1  Thank Andrew F
See more reviews
Reviewed 3 June 2017 via mobile

My son is an early riser. While staying with family I didn't want to stir too much noise. So I found this museum close to Leland where we were staying and thought "why not." I don't recall this museum when I was younger and living here in Wilmington but I was excited to bring my 3 year old son. At 10 it was pretty empty. More guests arrived around 11. And we left at 12. You can explore in about an hour.

We parked along the street, less than a block away in a zone marked one hour. I stayed about 1.5 hours and was glad no ticket was on my windshield. It was about $20 for my son and I. I allowed him to lead us and found any of the activities typical of most museums. They managed the space very well. I kind of expected more water based activities given the museum is in what's known as Port City but nothing major popped here.

You have your market, trains, under 4 zone, doctors nest, logos and a reading book but it's subpar compared to Children Museums I've visited outside of where I currently live in Maryland. There is an awesome one outside of Charlotte I visited last summer on my way to Winston Salem. Cherry Hill, NJ has a small local one that features water and a lot more interactive. And I visited a really nice one in Lynchburg, Va. I did like the outdoor garden but felt it could have included a more engaging playground space and interactive garden zone similar to the kids area inside of the Botanical Gardens on the National Mall (they are able to make plant bombs, they have water, water pails, soil, seeds to plant a garden and learn about sustainable water solutions) instead of a school bus. Children see school buses all the time why waste space here to show them one on their downtime.

It's not a waste, especially for a toddler, but for me I could create my own fun day with a trip to the beach for my son. Not worth a return visit. I hope you find this review helpful.

1  Thank jknecole