“Nice cool place to play”

Children's Museum of Wilmington
Ranked #37 of 124 things to do in Wilmington
Reviewed 8 July 2017 via mobile

Kids really enjoyed this. Art room was neat. Jet pack seat was their favorite part. I always love the play market and diner.

1  Thank 255whitneyc
"dentist"
in 5 reviews
"sensory"

Reviewed 18 June 2017 via mobile

My 2 grandchildren sure love this place! It's huge!! So many different play stations and areas to roam and learn. I bought the yearly family membership and it certainly paid off for us! There is even a school bus outback for the kids to play in. Give it a try sometime! I'm glad I found this place to take my grandchildren!

1  Thank Andrew F
Reviewed 3 June 2017 via mobile

My son is an early riser. While staying with family I didn't want to stir too much noise. So I found this museum close to Leland where we were staying and thought "why not." I don't recall this museum when I was younger and living here in Wilmington but I was excited to bring my 3 year old son. At 10 it was pretty empty. More guests arrived around 11. And we left at 12. You can explore in about an hour.

We parked along the street, less than a block away in a zone marked one hour. I stayed about 1.5 hours and was glad no ticket was on my windshield. It was about $20 for my son and I. I allowed him to lead us and found any of the activities typical of most museums. They managed the space very well. I kind of expected more water based activities given the museum is in what's known as Port City but nothing major popped here.

You have your market, trains, under 4 zone, doctors nest, logos and a reading book but it's subpar compared to Children Museums I've visited outside of where I currently live in Maryland. There is an awesome one outside of Charlotte I visited last summer on my way to Winston Salem. Cherry Hill, NJ has a small local one that features water and a lot more interactive. And I visited a really nice one in Lynchburg, Va. I did like the outdoor garden but felt it could have included a more engaging playground space and interactive garden zone similar to the kids area inside of the Botanical Gardens on the National Mall (they are able to make plant bombs, they have water, water pails, soil, seeds to plant a garden and learn about sustainable water solutions) instead of a school bus. Children see school buses all the time why waste space here to show them one on their downtime.

It's not a waste, especially for a toddler, but for me I could create my own fun day with a trip to the beach for my son. Not worth a return visit. I hope you find this review helpful.

1  Thank jknecole
Reviewed 18 May 2017 via mobile

First let me start off by saying that the staff here is super helpful!

Now this is smaller than the Edventure Children's museum in Columbia, SC but there was plenty to keep my little one occupied. The basic flow of the museum is broken up by three different levels. Which is nice because often times we were in a section by ourselves or with one other family.

The kitchen/dinner area was very realistic as was the grocery store. Don't miss out on either of these spots since they are upstairs. And you won't want to miss out on the Lego Duplo train area either. (Lots of fun for your younger little boys!) Which is completely different from the train tables on the first floor. And make sure you don't forget about the air chair on the second level. Your kids (and possibly you) will enjoy it for sure!

Younger toddlers have their own play area on the first floor near the Bear hospital and the Dino dentist area. This area is tucked away and fairly quiet. Really designed for kids 4 and under but kids with sensory would enjoy it as well.

Family bathrooms on each level we visited and there is a nursing area with a small play area for bigger siblings. Changing table is also available.

Only down side is the parking. We parked along the street and used the convent pay by phone app that seems to be all the rage in this area.

This is definitely somewhere we will visit again if we make it to this area.

See more reviews
Reviewed 8 May 2017

My daughter-in-law and I took all five our my grandchildren to the museum recently. This was my second visit and this visit was great. This time I found the museum cleaner, better attention by staff, more equipment in each area. They are ages 4 through 7, and had a wonderful time all over the museum. Particularly fun for them, was the school bus, the dental office, bear hospital, the restaurant and magnetic wall. Everything is hands on and provides opportunity for them to be creative and have fun on their own. I do think that there needs to be regular upkeep and replacement of play equipment, ie: in the bear hospital, dental office, and the outfits in the space station. I do agree with a previous reviewer who stated they need better staff presence in the various areas during the day. There is a nice courtyard, where the bus is, with beds of plants, a climbing rope, net, plastic bowling pins and ball. I used two Groupon offers for our tickets and saved alot of money, so check that out before you go. Great way to entertain active children, on a windy, cooler day when we couldn't go to the pool.