“Surprising food and experience ”
Review of Cast Iron Kitchen

Cast Iron Kitchen
Ranked #80 of 768 Restaurants in Wilmington
Reviewed 1 September 2018 via mobile

This place is on top of their game, great food, on point service, really impressed with this quaint strip mall eatery! 5 Stars!

Reviewed 22 August 2018

First time and last time coming here unless someone else pays. The person waiting on us when asked by my cousin advised her that this was much better than going to a place like a Denny's. To each their own opinion and not one I share. The prices are not for someone looking for a deal. The quality, well, that is in the eye of the beholder. I love chorizo and this chorizo was below par. It was burned, dry and tasteless. It had no zip to it and the sausage itself was mealy and meh. It also was weak in the size category. Jimmy Dean would do better and it reminded me of a hockey puck. The eggs we had were also poorly done. I grew up on poorly prepared eggs and I flashed back to my mother when the eggs came out thinking they were channeling her abilities (she was an awesome person but cooking was not her strength). The over easy were over hard and the scrambled eggs were made runny and loose and not scrambled but more gently tossed once then sent to our table. The biscuits which was claimed to be made in house were definitely needing gravy and attention as they were also bland, dry, and heavy so not a great combo; but they were big so I can see why folks may be enamored with them. The fruit I had for an extra dollar was served at room temperature and the fruit was average quality unlike the fruit found at other locales. It looked and tasted as if from Wal Mart or Aldi's. We did not have the $10 plus dollar signature dishes such as the waffles and chicken or the designer peanut butter bread french toast since we felt first you have to walk before you run and since the basics ended up as being average to less than average, why spend the cash for something to be dressed up where the underlying food is not going to be done properly. Most likely the average food is hidden with flavorful (maybe) gravy and other sauces which can certainly cover a multitude of foibles.

The tables are of sizes designed for larger groups with only a couple for two people. The waitstaff as a whole was friendly although it was interesting as there was a presumption the food was good versus asking us or actually extrapolating after seeing that the biscuits went uneaten and the fruit was not eaten when I had to pay extra for it that perhaps there was something amiss. Generally attentive staff see this and inquire. Not so by any of the staff that walked by and would smile and greet but not cast a discerning eye. They were happy to chat and refills were on a somewhat regular basis so it made the experience okay.

Why people line up for this place particularly on the weekends is beyond me but, hey, if people are willing then more power to them and am glad others had better experiences so unfortunately, come in wary and know your mileage may vary.

1  Thank Thomas R
Reviewed 14 August 2018

Great atmosphere, great service, unique menu items. So good we were there 2 days in a row. We'll be back!

Reviewed 26 July 2018

I never had chicken and waffles before and always wanted to try it. First visit to this comfy, cute and cozy restaurant so I asked the waitress to choose for me between 3 dishes and she chose the chicken and waffles. The meal was plated beautifully with strawberries, granola, fig jam and maple bourbon syrup. The chicken itself was cooked to perfection and hot out of the fryer. Everything on the plate was fresh and delicious. Service was excellent. The next time I pass through Wilmington this will be my lunch stop for sure!

Reviewed 22 July 2018 via mobile

Stopped in after seeing it on “Dive, Diners and Drive throughs”. If you go on a Friday morning expect a wait but it was well worth it. Service was friendly and fast and the food was very good. It is a little pricey for breakfast but they had a full bar so you could have a mamossia while you wait.