“Best restaurant we have been to in Surf City”

Sears Landing Grill & Boat
Ranked #9 of 67 Restaurants in Surf City
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Takeout
Reviewed 19 September 2018

After 7 or 8 years of trying dinner restaurants in Surf City (needing a break from the few choices on N. Topsail where we stay) we finally found one that is quite good. Reservations are not taken, so be prepared to wait. The wait is worth it (ours was 45 minutes on Labor Day Monday). There's a neat bar to have a drink or two tended by an equally delightful bartender named Josh, who makes a fine drink. Parts of the bar overlook the Sound. Once seated for dinner the server came quickly and the food came out fast. I had Nachos with raw (or nearly raw anyway) tuna mixed with seaweed ($14). The rare tuna here is a specialty and this dish was highly recommended by previous patrons. I would not get it again, but that's just me. Collards as a side were good, but not the best I've ever had. One in our party had crab cake, and said it was quite good. Others had the rare tuna dinner, which at $17 was a nice deal. Prices are moderate. Go early or late, especially on a holiday weekend. We'll definitely return to Sears Landing--on a Wednesday perhaps.

1  Thank CvilleMike

Reviewed 10 September 2018

We stumbled upon Sears on a Saturday night and it was packed! We enjoyed the wait out back with a nice view of the boats. Our food was definitely worth the wait! The seafood was incredible and some of the freshest I've ever had! I had sushi grade tun, peel and eat shrimp and my husband had the sampler platter. Everything was so good we decided to make the drive again on Sunday night. Everything was just as good. The crabcakes are big, fluffy and filled with crab. Delicious and can't wait to go again!

1  Thank onechicmama
Reviewed 8 September 2018

We had the crab cake sandwich and oyster po-boy with grilled asparagus and yummy plantains. All were cooked to perfection. The oysters were fresh and the bread perfect for a New Orleanian. I love that you can personally thank the chefs on the way out the door.

1  Thank Virginiaphd
Reviewed 4 September 2018 via mobile

I had the Crab cake which was absolutely wonderful, along with fries and Corn Bread. My partner had Corn Bread and Collard Greens.
I really enjoyed the Crab Cakes enormously but the Corn Bread was terrible; that’s why I only rate it three star. It was supposed to be freshly made daily but we both ended up leaving it after one bite; it wasn’t cooked properly, heavy and far too wet inside. A shame after the seafood and Collard Greens.

Reviewed 2 September 2018 via mobile

Great seafood nice bar area with great drinks and good atmosphere can't say enough will definitely eat there again !!

1  Thank Derek W