“Exceptional food in unlikely setting”
Review of knife & fork - CLOSED

knife & fork
Price range: US$9 - US$30
Cuisines: Healthy
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Seasonal, farm-driven, local food prepared in creative and loving ways. Reservations are not required but highly recommended. For parties of 6 or more, we require a credit card on file. In the event of a cancellation within 24 hours of the reservation, a $100 cancellation fee is charged. if you have an allergy or dietary restriction, please call ahead. this is the only way to ensure that we will be able to accommodate your specific needs.
Reviewed 20 August 2017

I have eaten at restaurants all over the world. The brunch I just had at K and F was superb. I have read some negative reviews of this place and I think it is important to understand what a restaurant has to offer to avoid disappointment. If you are looking for an Outback Steakhouse or Olive Garden experience this is not the place you want to go. The portions here are what some would call small and what I would call just right. There is a limited menu because the whole point of this place is to serve locally sourced ingredients. I asked for orange juice and was told they didn't have any because they don't locally grow oranges. My response was "Wow. You are really dedicated to the locally sourced thing."" I had water which was just fine. The tomato salad was one of the best things I have ever eaten. Three types of tomato with locally sourced cheese (sort of a ricotta but very creamy" and a variety of herbs with some jalapeño and pickled onion. This combination could have come out as a jumbled mess of flavor but it was amazing with each distinct flavor playing a symphony of gustatory ecstasy on my tongue. My friend Ken literally licked his bowl although he will deny it if asked. I had shaved lamb open faced sandwich with crispy potatoes (sort of like crispy home fries). It was all incredible as was the trout with rattlesnake beans my friend had. Dessert was a poached pear in puff pastry with vanilla ice cream. Again, amazing. If I were a picky food reviewer I would say that the pear was a little under poached for my tastes and the coffee, while drinkable, was not great. Since I am not a picky reviewer I'll just say the food was amazing.

The restaurant is an open space with the kitchen fully exposed. There is a radio playing music. Today it was Motown. We were there when it was not too crowded but I can see how it might be pretty loud. If this is a deal killer ask for a table outdoors or bring ear plugs. I think the food is an amazing treat and I will be back.

2  Thank concors

Reviewed 19 August 2017

This is one of my ten best meals EVER! We had the prix fixe with the wine pairings. Every course was a home run, and the amount of food was perfect. Not too little that you were still hungry, but not too much that you felt stuffed. (And I like to eat!)
Our server was pleasant and very knowledgeable about the food and the wines. The pace was just as perfect as the amount of food. We never felt rushed and we never waited too long for the next course - just a little pause to savor what we just ate and anticipate the next course.
Yes, the restaurant is in Spruce Pine, which is in the middle of nowhere, and yes the food is expensive, but yes it is totally worth the drive and the cost if you are celebrating a special occasion.
We'll be back.

2  Thank NCactuary
Reviewed 17 August 2017

Spruce Pine is so lucky to have such a good establishment. I remember when Hardees came to town and we felt so lucky. This restaurant is as good as any in the State and we are so lucky that such a hard working and talented chef chose our town.

2  Thank colsatoris
Reviewed 17 August 2017

I wrote a bad review for the Knife and Fork a few years ago. I have since visited several times and every meal has been perfect. I realize that every restaurant can have an off night, and I did not give the chef a chance to make the experience better and instead left unsatisfied.

The food is excellent. Your meal is most likely being prepared by one of the hardest working and best chefs that I have ever seen. I love the new location and Spruce Pine is lucky to have this establishment.

Also, the lunch menu is affordable and excellent. Don't miss this experience.

3  Thank HossHall
Nathan A, Owner at knife & fork, responded to this reviewResponded 24 August 2017

thank you so much for this review. It is hard to be on point all the time and I am so glad that you have enjoyed what we do. It means so very much to me.

Reviewed 14 August 2017

Fantastic food at reasonable prices. Yes, you can save $ 6-8 /person and eat at a chain restaurant, but the food you receive here is worth every penny. If you sit at the bar you can watch the owner/chef(Nate)cook your meal right in front of you. Meals are prepared with care and ingredients come (fresh)from local farmers, not from the back of a semi-truck. Also allow yourself a VERY handcrafted cocktail, very tasty indeed.

1  Thank TheScanian