“YELLOW "Fried rice" - BEWARE”
Review of China Wok

China Wok
Ranked #77 of 111 Restaurants in Southern Pines
Reviewed 17 April 2017

Tried this restaurant's Chicken and Broccoli in brown sauce combination plate takeout, with fried rice and an egg roll.
BE AWARE - This restaurant adds YELLOW FOOD DYE to cook their "fried rice", which is NOT fried rice at all. The dye turns the rice a bright yellow, not exactly the color of fried rice.
Fried rice is light BROWN, the color generally a result of adding soy sauce to the rice as it is lightly fried, crisping the rice.
This YELLOW rice was soggy and had no flavor that resembled the taste of any fried rice I have ever had at any Asian / Chinese restaurant of any type.
We felt mildly ill after eating some of the rice, and suspect the yellow dye may be the reason.
When we talked with the restaurant, they defended the yellow rice and said that "all Chinese restaurants have YELLOW fried rice". NO they don't.
And I don't appreciate being bullied and argued with when I ask how my food is prepared.
Will NOT be going back, no matter how much I might crave chicken and broccoli with fried rice again.
Looks like its a lose-lose proposition. Too bad. But predictable.

1  Thank QualityTravellings

Reviewed 28 January 2017 via mobile

Remember the crummy Chinese food from the seventies in the USA? Well this is the same kinda place.

If you want cheap, quick, pre made food go here. We decided to dine in and they acted like they had never served anyone in the facility. All food came out at the same time...very strange. No real wait staff. The noise from the front counter is totally annoying.

I did think the roast pork dish was pretty good and my wife liked the soup.

Even with the cheap prices I think I would avoid the place.

1  Thank macsterling
Reviewed 9 November 2016

Great and easy online menu and easy pick up for that night you just need some unhealthy Chinese food that hits the spot! Never had a bad experience here and been going 5 years!

1  Thank Deborah D
Reviewed 8 September 2016

We ordered of a menu given to us by the hotel, first time was a lunch combo size order of Sweet and Sour Pork, and Chicken with Cashew Nuts. That was so good, that another night, we ordered the full-sized dinner of the same two items. Delivery of the first time took a while, as it was busy lunch time. Second time, evening delivery took almost no time at all. All came in microwavable dishes that we reheat if necessary. We really enjoyed our food. It's not fancy chinese food but for the average chinese food, it's way better than average.

1  Thank gleem
Reviewed 17 March 2016 via mobile

I have lived overseas and this is a typical family run oriental eatery. Love that the kids help interpret when needed. Owners are very acomodating for food allergies and made my order different than on the menu. Very tasty and authentic. Will come again. Very friendly.

1  Thank itselementary