“Best Sushi Ever”

Makoto
Ranked #61 of 114 Restaurants in Southern Pines
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed 9 November 2016

We go here as often as we can afford to eat sushi! Try the sushi chips, the Crispy Rice Roll, and the Makoto roll. Hands down freshest and best combinations you can find. Skip the Red Bowl and eat local - it's better!

1  Thank Deborah D

Reviewed 26 June 2016

Coming from a family who is well traveled and one that loves both seafood and Asian food, I was excited to find this Japanese restaurant. My excitement quickly turned to disappointment when the meal rolled out. Yes, the California roll was freshly made and displayed well,however it was small.. child size, and pricey. If you are going for portion size, it's definitely a disappointment. If you love sushi, depending on your favorite, The Fresh Market, trumps this place in size and price, and they'll make you a fresh sushi as you stand there, too. As an avid seafood consumer who has lived in Hawaii and Rhode Island, I have eaten a variety of it over my lifetime. When my first bite into the shrimp tempura plate had a weird after taste, I had another family member take a nip at it. They, too felt it was not right so I did not touch the rest. Needless to say, I reported it discreetly to the server. She apologized and said she would report it to the manager. The next thing that happened was appalling! An Asian woman comes out from the back holding a plate of raw shrimp, putting it up to my face saying, "this is the shrimp I use...see no smell" and proceed to take my uneaten plate of shrimp for inspection back to the kitchen. She did this without apologizing or engaging me otherwise. This was done in front of the rest of the customers... some of who I know. They,too, thought it was rude and bizarre. Talking about poor customer relations! The server continued to apologize and seemed embarrassed. It was a costly mistake to try this restaurant as most meals averaged around the $15 or more price range. I don't mind paying for a good meal and great customer service, but this restaurant is not worth the time or money spent! It's a definitely "Do Not Return or Refer" in our book of local restaurants. It's not a kid friendly restaurant either if you've got finicky eaters as the menu is limited and priced for an adult outing.

Reviewed 17 April 2016 via mobile

Great food in a very comfortable environment. Our favorite sushi place in the area. A little hard to find, but well worth the effort.

Reviewed 18 December 2014 via mobile

Found this little gem and loved it!!! The food was the best japanese I've had in a few years. Small and cozy with authentic food. If you want the real flavors of Japan this is a great spot

Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

Coming from Hawaii I was a bit spoiled with Asian foods. I have been longing to find a place with similar results and here in Southern Pines I have found it!

The sushi was not plentiful in variety, but what was there was fresh, invigorating and well presented. The local wait staff could use a bit of education in Japanese customs as their tact and service was a bit poor. However, they were trumped by the freshness and the quality of the food.

For those who know L&L, the Katsu here blew it out of the water! This is a must visit

4  Thank Paul M