“Not what it used to be”
Review of Sushi Dojo

Sushi Dojo
Ranked #40 of 108 Restaurants in Shelby
Cuisines: Sushi
Reviewed 1 July 2016 via mobile

My daughter and I came here for lunch today. We have been very pleased with this place before, but not today. Even though we were here during lunch it was not busy . It took us over 30 minutes to get our sushi brought to us. They brought it one roll at a time. We ordered the basic cucumber roll, crab roll, and California roll. They were all horrible, and my daughter would not eat them (she is an avid sushi lover). The crab in the rolls was horrible, cheap imitation crab that was shredded. The cucumber roll was full of gummy rice and barely any cucumber. The rice had a weird taste to it and it was chewy. My daughter spit the rolls out and when I informed the waitress it was horrible she just said she was sorry, and put the check on the table . I will not return here.

Reviewed 28 January 2016

Ok. I am not a sushi expert, so take this as you will. The setting is cool, once inside. My waitress was attentive, personable and funky...all good. My crawfish-stuffed roll was good, the wasabi extra-hot. The Hee Haw roll delivered as promised. Hot fudge brownie, too.

The menu is varied, and I will return to sample other fare whenever I'm in Shelby!

2  Thank NCValuTraveler
Reviewed 27 December 2015

Once upon a time, Sushi Dojo was my lunch spot. Loved their lunch combos. Sadly, I ordered take out for dinner & they lost a customer. I arrived to pick up my meal 5 minutes after they told me it would be ready. Still had to wait however, it was a busy Friday night so, they get a pass. When I got home, I found my hot food cold, my cold food tepid & items missing. Called back to complain. Was told they were sorry & I would be given a credit next time I ate there. 3 days later, I showed up & none of the staff knew anything about the credit. I have not been back.

1  Thank Lori J
Reviewed 9 November 2015

Although I love Japanese food I have never been a fan of sushi until now! There are so many different rolls both raw and tempura, which is what I prefer. I'm still working my way up to raw rolls but for now the tempura ones at Sushi Dojo are amazing. The New York roll and the Hee-Haw roll are my favorite! The Hee-Haw roll definitely lives up to its name. I'm not going to tell you what's in it just trust me and take a leap of faith! You won't regret it!

1  Thank Leniece L
Reviewed 9 March 2015

This is a sad situation as most folks in this area has probably not had "real" quality sushi and they will not get it here. The rolls are of poor quality and the sashimi is very limited and again -poor quality. Maybe it is just idealistic to expect good Sushi this far from the shore while at he same time one can get great Sushi in Ashville, Spartanburg and Hendersonville.
The restaurants in Shelby are generally not very good but even in comparison to the others this place is still only poor.

1  Thank Robert L

Been to Sushi Dojo? Share your experiences!